Zendaya chosen to Play Aaliyah in New Lifetime Original Movie underway

janetDAYZ

In the nearly 13 years since she died, Aaliyah has gone from a well-established young R&B star with big pop potential to a full-blown icon whose appeal extends across every conceivable genre line. While there have been a number of attempts to bottle and sell her posthumous superstardom, few have actually made it into fans’ hands. (The world may never know if the album-length tribute/collaboration that Drake had planned at one point would have been brilliant or just ghoulish.)

Last year Wall Street Journal editor Christopher John Farley published a slim biography of the singer called Aaliyah: More Than a Woman, which Brown Sugar writer Michael Elliot and director Bradley Walsh (who previously helmed the Flashdance sorta-remake Turn the Beat Around) are now adapting into a biopic for Lifetime. While R&B fans may not be familiar with Elliot and Walsh, they should be well-acquainted with 17-year-old Zendaya Coleman, who’s signed on to play the lead role.

Coleman is best known as the star of Disney Channel’s Shake It Up! and as a breakout performer on Dancing With the Stars, but it’s her work as a singer that makes news of her casting especially exciting. Her 2013 single “Replay” spent 21 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at a respectable number 40, which suggests that she has enough star power to do the role justice. More importantly the song’s interplay between its futuristic club beat and Coleman’s sugary vocals prove that she already has a decent Aaliyah impression already worked out.

http://m.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/zendaya-to-play-aaliyah-in-new-lifetime-original-movie-details-2014166

Why yall keep dissing lifetime? They have a huge following and alot of credibility. It's one of the more well respected networks. Tho ,I thought hers was gonna be on VH1 cuz they've been talkin about wanting to do it for years but I would bet my life Aaliyah's mom Diane is the one to make the decision of putting it on Lifetime rather than Vh1

The Whitney casting was good... This? :umm:

This

Why yall keep dissing lifetime? They have a huge following and alot of credibility. It's one of the more well respected networks. 

Credibility? By who? Their 90% over 30yr old women following? They arent noticed by the Emmy's or the Golden Globes. I myself have seen them do good movies, but those movies go on to nowhere in terms of awards and nominations for the most part. Vh1 is no better but they don't have the same stigma, they're not known for their movies, I mean Lifetime constantly gets clowned. I don't consider them a well respected network at all which is why I cringe when I hear about good stories/movies going to Lifetime, because nobody will care in terms of success & recognition.

Who cares about awards? Your focus is on the wrong thing...long as a story is told well (which Lifetime is known for) that's all that matters to me...all that other fluff accolades is falls short of being significant as to what the purpose is. It's not about awards..its about the story. That's juss me...you are more than welcome to feel how you feel. But what other network do u think her movie could have been on besides vh1 and lifetime? I mean...what other network does biopics ..better yet, the ones that get acknowledged by award season???? Where are these choices? I'm curious

Who cares about awards? Your focus is on the wrong thing...long as a story is told well (which Lifetime is known for) that's all that matters to me...all that other fluff accolades is falls short of being significant as to what the purpose is. It's not about awards..its about the story. That's juss me...you are more than welcome to feel how you feel. But what other network do u think her movie could have been on besides vh1 and lifetime? I mean...what other network does biopics ..better yet, the ones that get acknowledged by award season????

I hope they don't skim past the R Kelly stuff...and I'd love for them to explore her friendship with Dame/Jay a little although I suppose the demise of that that could be saved for Jay'z biopic haha. It's funny though, aside from that we never really knew much about her personal life and struggles. I always loved that mysterious vibe around her so hopefully we'll learn some things.

Ooooo. Zendaya can actually dance. Acting wise she's mostly done Disney comedies so this would be her first serious role. I'm sure she can pull it off.

Twitter is NOT feeling it. Lol I juss expected someone who looks more similar to Aaliyah, who is some undiscovered actress. Zen juss doesn't look like Aaliyah at all to me.

Twitter is NOT feeling it. Lol I juss expected someone who looks more similar to Aaliyah, who is some undiscovered actress. Zen juss doesn't look like Aaliyah at all to me.

She doesn't but none of the TLC girls looked like TLC until they had their transformation :lol:. I'm just glad it's finally happening. It's been like 6 years of speculation haha. AND perhaps we'll get new music if Mrs Haughton approves :cry:.

I hope they don't skim past the R Kelly stuff...and I'd love for them to explore her friendship with Dame/Jay a little although I suppose the demise of that that could be saved for Jay'z biopic haha. It's funny though, aside from that we never really knew much about her personal life and struggles. I always loved that mysterious vibe around her so hopefully we'll learn some things.

I'm wondering will they delve into more of her personal life too... But the R.Kelly thing? They are gonna skim right thru that shit lol cuz her family wanted to act like it never happen. :lol: they were always so quiet and dismissive about that occurrence in Aaliyah's life. Her family and her camp wanted to ERASE the fuck outta that situation lol

She doesn't but none of the TLC girls looked like TLC until they had their transformation :lol:. I'm just glad it's finally happening. It's been like 6 years of speculation haha. AND perhaps we'll get new music if Mrs Haughton approves :cry:.

The girl who played chilli looked like Chilli :umm: ...and Lil Mama favors Lefteye...so neither one of those were a stretch. Lol the tboz girl is the only one who had to make a transformation

I'm wondering will they delve into more of her personal life too... But the R.Kelly thing? They are gonna skim right thru that shit lol cuz her family wanted to act like it never happen. :lol: they were always so quiet and dismissive about that occurrence in Aaliyah's life. Her family and her camp wanted to ERASE the fuck outta that situation lol

They probably will skim through tbh :lmao:! But it's like...what else can they show because we were never privvy to her life and she always seemed like she had her head straight and free from controversy other than R Kels haha. 

The girl who played chilli looked like Chilli :umm: ...and Lil Mama favors Lefteye...so neither one of those were a stretch. Lol the tboz girl is the only one who had to make a transformation

I never thought she looked like Chilli tbh but maybe that's just me haha. Drew/T-Boz was quite a stretch haha. 

:asham:. I will say - out of all the rumoured girls, Keisha Chante favours Aaliyah the most.

Ughhhhh, plz.. I'm so glad she didn't get the role. She has been trying soooo fuckin hard to be Aaliyah and show her "similarities" by doin photos that mimmick Aaliyah looks .. she pimped herself out for like 3 yrs..I guess she thought from all her eagerness, it would land her the role by high demand of the public, but Nope!! :lol: she got on my nerves...she was too obsessed w Aaliyah, it turned me off

• Upvote 1

Ughhhhh, plz.. I'm so glad she didn't get the role. She has been trying soooo fuckin hard to be Aaliyah and show her "similarities" by doin photos that mimmick Aaliyah looks .. she pumped herself out for like 3 yrs..I guess she thought from all her eagerness, it would land her the role by high demand of the public, but Nope!! :lol: she got on my nerves...she was too obsessed w Aaliyah, it turned me off

I'm glad she didn't either but she did look like her in some shots (probably trying too hard like you said haha). I'd prefer it to go to an unknown we've never heard of tbh but I'm not mad at it going to Zendaya

Who cares about awards? Your focus is on the wrong thing...long as a story is told well (which Lifetime is known for) that's all that matters to me...all that other fluff accolades is falls short of being significant as to what the purpose is. It's not about awards..its about the story. That's juss me...you are more than welcome to feel how you feel. But what other network do u think her movie could have been on besides vh1 and lifetime? I mean...what other network does biopics ..better yet, the ones that get acknowledged by award season???? Where are these choices? I'm curious

Yea except they're a joke for a reason, they do have a history of story's not being told well as well. Oh and to answer your question. H.B.O. DONE. (Dorthy Dandridge, The Rat Pack, Tyson, Liberace, Jack Kevorkian, & Phil Spector, and Emmy & Golden globe recognition for all). Also there's Showtime, Abc, A&E, & TNT. All of whom arent constantly joked about with their content. I want a good movie in the end too, but I want the movie to do well in terms of competitions..

I'm glad she didn't either but she did look like her in some shots (probably trying too hard like you said haha). I'd prefer it to go to an unknown we've never heard of tbh but I'm not mad at it going to Zendaya

I love to see undiscovered talent pop up doin lead roles. It's juss a "fresh" sighting ..I would have preferred an unknown any day