Rihanna and Eminem debuts with horrible reviews

Unbreakable.

Eminem and Rihanna Provided a Lovely Night of Lip Synching at the Rose Bowl

Now that all hip-hop and R&B superstars are required to tour with a "buddy" (see: Jay Z and Beyonce, Drake and Lil Wayne, Jay Z and Justin Timberlake) Eminem and Rihanna are kind of a cool pairing, at least on paper. Equally compelling are their differences — race, sex, country of origin, skill set, their generation gap — and their similarities, particularly their shared history of having been victims of abuse.

Unfortunately, they have nothing resembling chemistry, as was apparent from moment one last night at the Rose Bowl. A short film started things off: A buttoned-up Rihanna entered a prison, where Eminem was locked-up inside of some sort of solitary pod. For untold years, he'd had nothing to do except eat dry cereal and watch cartoons, he complained, cursing her for not coming sooner. She proceeded to curse him back, and then she left. That was it, the video was over. Never was it explained how the characters knew each other.

And Rihanna's hot too. Too hot, probably, to the point where she thinks she doesn't have to try very hard. While a cavalcade of dancers behind her sweated their asses off, she could barely be bothered to move, save for some slithering and occasional lazy rubs of her Zubaz crotch, like Michael Jackson on Xanax.

"Thanks Cali, hope we get to do this again soon," Rihanna said near the end, seemingly ready for bed. She seemed to forget that she and Eminem are, in fact, performing again at the same location tonight.

http://www.laweekly....l-august-7-2014

:umm: lemme prove a point

http://www.mercurynews.com/music/ci_26284824/review-beyonce-jay-z-show-fails-live-up

It seemed inevitable that Jay Z, the king of the co-headlining tour, would one day team up with his wife, Beyoncé, for a blockbuster road show.

Their On the Run Tour, which kicked off in April, has been pure box office gold, with hundreds of thousands of fans filling stadiums from coast to coast to see the ultimate power couple in concert. Billboard magazine says the trek is due to gross more than $100 million.

Yet just because a pairing makes sense doesn't ensure that it will live up to expectations onstage.

Unfortunately, Jay Z and Beyoncé's performance on Tuesday at AT&T Park -- the first of two nights at the home of the San Francisco Giants -- fell well short of its vast potential. The sold-out show wasn't bad, just maddeningly mediocre.

There are many problems with this tour, all of which should have been ironed out long before it reached its final North American stop in San Francisco. The set list is iffy -- despite stretching some 40 songs -- and the production is awkward. There's too great of an emphasis on video elements and other things that keep the two stars offstage, which sabotages any sense of momentum and dampens the enthusiasm of the crowd. The show grinds to a halt way too often, when putting the pedal to the metal would be a far better choice.

Ironically, given that rumors about the couple's supposedly crumbling marriage have followed the tour for weeks, the most troubling aspect of Tuesday's show was the almost complete lack of synergy and chemistry between the two vocalists. It felt like two solo shows spliced into one big 2½-hour outing, where the whole was less than the sum of its parts. Beyoncé and Jay Z shared the stage on several occasions -- such as during an opening segment that included "'03 Bonnie & Clyde" and "Crazy in Love" -- but the collaboration felt too choreographed and rarely ignited much of a spark. If Beyoncé and Jay Z were looking for ammunition to refute the rumors about their marriage, Tuesday's show didn't provide any.

One would think that Jay Z would have mastered this co-headlining concept by now, having previously shared the stage with Mary J. Blige, Kanye West, Justin Timberlake and others. Yet On the Run isn't nearly as good as any of those other outings -- especially the terrific Timberlake co-bill, which hit Candlestick Park last year.

The big-budget production was often impressive to behold but in ways that resembled one of Michael Bay's "Transformers" movies. It lacked direction and purpose but not costume changes and special effects, leaving one to believe the best moments might have been left on the editing room floor.

Both performers can be dynamite onstage, although it's been quite some time since Beyoncé did her best work on the road. Her early solo tours, such as 2007's The Beyoncé Experience and 2009-10's I Am ... World Tour, were near-flawless pop spectacles. But the Queen Bey of R&B has disappointed on more recent treks, including on 2013-14's overly indulgent The Mrs. Carter Show World Tour.

Her voice was in exquisite form throughout Tuesday's show but never better than on the lovely ballad "Drunk in Love" (off Beyoncé's eponymous fifth studio album from last year). She came across loud and clear -- reportedly even miles from the stadium. Twitter was buzzing all night with San Francisco residents ranting/raving about how they could hear the show from their homes. Jay Z held his own, and occasionally a little more, as he rolled through such favorites as "Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem)."

Still, it was really hard to get into a groove for long, as Beyoncé and Jay Z kept exiting the stage and leaving the 40,000-strong crowd to watch videos on the giant overhead screens. Also, it was unfortunate to hear the stars perform abbreviated versions of some of their best songs, including a hacked up "Halo" that was anything but heavenly.

In all, it was a disappointing effort from two of pop music's best artists. Hopefully, they'll give it another try down the road and the result will finally reach its true potential.

Now what have we learned?

• Upvote 2

meh

Live Review: Eminem x Rihanna "The Monster Tour" – Los Angeles - By ARTISTdirect.com editor in chief Rick Florino...

Now, at the historical Los Angeles kick-off of the six-date Monster tour, Eminem and Rihanna both indisputably delivered legendary performances—alone and together. The real marvel of the tour stood in its delicate balance of monstrous production and the raw, real, and righteous talent of the two superstars. That's not easy. In fact, both of their voices and identities popped off just as much as the pyro, fireworks, gigantic screens, and other stage accoutrements. In fact, Emimen and Rihanna both solidified themselves alongside history's greatest musical icons. They deserve that too. All too often, we hear that there are no legends anymore. Well, two of the best and brightest lit up The Rose Bowl last night and left something like 60,000 people in awe.

After a The Silence of the Lambs-inspired intro, they emerged from below the stage, Rihanna rocking flame-covered pants and a jacket and Eminem strapped into a gurney like Hannibal Lecter. Rihanna's voice sounded heavenly, heart-wrenching, and hypnotic as she went from "Numb" and during a potent "Run This Town" as Eminem tore through his viciously vibrant verses from "Renegade". Rihanna took over the hook for "No Love" and added a soulful Island spin to the song as Eminem enunciated each word with unmatched conviction. The display of mic fireworks burned the brightest.

Rihanna carried "Live Your Life" alone with magnetic swagger before "Crack A Bottle" popped into a dynamic duet on the bombastic "Won't Back Down". She smiled, "Make some noise for this white mutha****a", and the cheers could've registered on the Richter Scale. Meanwhile, Eminem nodded to Step Brothers exclaiming, "Look at this stage—so much more room for ****ing activities!"

Those activities included an invigorating solo set from Rihanna to follow. Whether it was the sly "Talk That Talk", feverishly catchy "Cockiness", or undeniable "What's My Name?", she commanded the audience for the next hour, bringing a spark that only the likes of Madonna and Janet Jackson also possess. Make no mistake about it though, this run shows that Rihanna is the queen of pop. After a stunningly emotional "Stay", Eminem returned for one of the evening's most powerful collaborations, "Love The Way You Lie". The entire audience sang along to each word as Eminem and Rihanna traded words with unwavering energy.

Rihanna departed and Eminem proceeded to simply murder anything and everything in his path. This will go down as one of his most inspiring tours ever with his kinetic prowling and infinitely fast rapping leading inciting a veritable rush through the stadium. "3am" slashed sharper than Jason Voorhees' machete, while "Square Dance" and "Business" brought everybody back to The Eminem Show. Eminem cut through "Kill You" with the propulsive intensity and edgy sense of humor that made him the most important rapper on the planet when The Marshall Mathers LP first impacted in 2000. However, it was on "Rap God" from last year's phenomenal The Marshall Mathers LP 2 where he impressed the most. The rapid-fire cadence never relented as he nailed each moment intently, while running around the stage mind you. Suffice to say, he lived up to the title. The highlight of the set was the poignant jump back to The Slim Shady LP's one-two punch of "Just Don't Give a ****" and "Still Don't Give a ****". He reached down and channeled the same feeling of the original recordings, and it was nothing short of chilling. Then, it led into an equally fiery "Criminal" for good measure.

It was home for everybody in attendance because Eminem and Rihanna made it feel that way. Rihanna returned for a soaring rendition of "Airplanes" as Eminem's dreamy verse hit even harder in front of the stadium. Everything got quiet as they transfixed during a particularly poetic "Stan". Rihanna took over the Dido part with confidence, adding her own searing spin as Eminem's verses proved nothing short of moving. She also gets extra points for donning a Krokus t-shirt and a badass vest with a Slipknot patch among other iconic heavy bands!

Ultimately, this is an important moment in music's history bringing together two of today's greats and their work warrants recognition on that scale. The Monster is loose, and nothing will ever be the same afterwards.

But do you I guess

• Upvote 2

I heard good things tbh. I heard she looked like Aaliyah but with less energy :lol:. I saw the pics and I definitely got Aaliyah vibes. She looked HAWT! I don't like the setlist. I prefer the OTR setlist as the songs mesh into each other rather than having one artist clumped together and then the other next. I'd love to go. 

Twitter reviews? HAHA. You're thirsty, you BETTER start threads about Queen Rih hunty. You can come to the Rihanna Navy, we will forgive you for your constant and incessant negativity. ;)

RIHSUS IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON.

• Upvote 2

Rihanna rose out of the stage's floor, clad in what resembled a black-and-yellow leather Zubaz outfit over a crop-top. Eminem was tied to a gurney, Hannibal Lecter-style. Thus began two hours and a half hours of lip synching.

Rihanna gets points for singing the Dido part on "Stan" (she was actually singing on that one)

While a cavalcade of dancers behind her sweated their asses off, she could barely be bothered to move, save for some slithering and occasional lazy rubs of her Zubaz crotch, like Michael Jackson on Xanax.

"Thanks Cali, hope we get to do this again soon," Rihanna said near the end, seemingly ready for bed. She seemed to forget that she and Eminem are, in fact, performing again at the same location tonight.

Twitter reviews? HAHA. You're thirsty, you BETTER start threads about Queen Rih hunty. You can come to the Rihanna Navy, we will forgive you for your constant and incessant negativity. ;)

RIHSUS IS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON.

and he doin' the same thing he don't want us doing to Thiefonce :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

Rihanna has Aids luv.

You're disgusting.

and he doin' the same thing he don't want us doing to Thiefonce :rolleyes:

Forget about faves, this is stupidity. If you're going to be a jerk, be a jerk, but now this crosses every line.

• Upvote 2

SO real...

I find it pointless to post about an artist you don't like, especially if it's comments or threads that are negative. I understand everyone has their opinion and a right to freedom of speech, but there has to be a limit.

Why was AIDS brought into this? I don't know Dioni personally and he is free to dislike whatever he wants to, but this is disgustingly low.

• Upvote 1

I find it pointless to post about an artist you don't like, especially if it's comments or threads that are negative. I understand everyone has their opinion and a right to freedom of speech, but there has to be a limit.Why was AIDS brought into this? I don't know Dioni personally and he is free to dislike whatever he wants to, but this is disgustingly low.

Oh shut up.

It was a joke hence the "luv" at the end. :lol:

I find it pointless to post about an artist you don't like, especially if it's comments or threads that are negative. I understand everyone has their opinion and a right to freedom of speech, but there has to be a limit.

Well... there's a taste way of doing it... mentioning AIDS isn't one of em

Oh shut up.

It was a joke hence the "luv" at the end. :lol:

How about deleting your profile? That would be the best contribution you've ever made to Planet Janet.

A joke? You are immature and absolutely dense. You do not joke about AIDS. Keep the "luv" to yourself, I have never had a liking towards you.

• Upvote 3