MTV VMAs 2014 - Official Discussion Thread - RATINGS DROPPED FROM LAST YEAR

Rock & Roll Hall of Game

True, my side eye is, (from what it sounds like, havent seen it) her performance tonight sounds like it should've opened the Grammys and not that weak lipsync of Drunk As Fuck. But she had a single to promote I guess. Your review is gonna make me have to watch it tonight, it'd have to be 1 fuck of a performance to take me back to the dark side of fandom but I always give her she can perform great (most of the time, that Grammy performance kinda shook that reputation),  :lol:

:lmao: @ that title shade. Yeah, it was miles above her Grammys performance, but considering the award she's receiving here it doesn't surprise me she really stepped it up. Like I said before, I revisited her work recently, and for me, the reason why I didn't like about half of her stuff was because I held her to a standard that isn't really attainable for her (and a grating annoyance with her hardcore stans who act like she's above and beyond that standard). You have to look at and enjoy her as her and within her own generation. With that, her lane is well-established and she is great at what she does. Where people go wrong is in trying to give her too much which makes her either worshiped by some or disliked by others. This same thing is why I revisited JT's catalog, too, though I know you won't get the same results for him. :lol: I say give her a shot with a different point of view and you may actually like or even love her again. That's the case for me.

• Upvote 1

Oh interesting way to put it. Quite the gray area....

Usher's still around tho (And Aaliyah prob would be most likely too)

Actually I was reading up on something interesting, TECHNICALLY he had an album released in 92 (Independant and rare) as a member of a boy band, and he went solo in 93 and got on the Poetic Justice OST, then as we know got his 1st album out

Right. And weren't Britney and friends all kids on different variety shows?

They were all (except Bey) on the Micky Mouse club. What's funny & ironic is Brit, Bey, Xtina, & Just all existed in the industry in like 94 when, but it took them YEARS to get their starts in 97-98. But if it took off for them immediately, they would've all been in the Usher, Brandy, Monica, Boyz generation

• Upvote 1

;)  :coffee: They are 2 of the best performers of their generation and that is a fact.

Beyonce is over-rated. I've watched her perform and I still don't get it. She does the same thing Christina does except Christina has the better voice. Both are equal in the dancing but none of their dancing is anything to gloat about.

:lmao: @ that title shade. Yeah, it was miles above her Grammys performance, but considering the award she's receiving here it doesn't surprise me she really stepped it up. Like I said before, I revisited her work recently, and for me, the reason why I didn't like about half of her stuff was because I held her to a standard that isn't really attainable for her (and a grating annoyance with her hardcore stans who act like she's above and beyond that standard). You have to look at and enjoy her as her and within her own generation. With that, her lane is well-established and she is great at what she does. Where people go wrong is in trying to give her too much which makes her either worshiped by some or disliked by others. This same thing is why I revisited JT's catalog, too, though I know you won't get the same results for him. :lol: I say give her a shot with a different way of interpreting it and you may actually like or even love her again. That's the case for me.

Yea this last era made me do that too because I really didn't dislike this new album, so it made me revisit the 2 eras before it........still don't like them much, but I do still really like the 1st 2 too, and I kinda forget how much I do and how much I did and was a fan when they were new until I listen to them with my full attention. But yea I realized what makes me red flag her is more of her fans/stans and the overactions and over praise by the media, that's a huge turn off, and then it's all the copying and "writting" issue, it's complecated with me & Bey, more so than Justin & Madge, but I always say who knows how I'll feel about her next era. Im waiting for her to give me that era where i just really LOVE the music, and I can ignoe alllllllllllllllllllllll the stuff I don't like with her, and just be there fully for the music, and this era was musically & image wise a step in the right direction.

• Upvote 1

Beyonce is over-rated. I've watched her perform and I still don't get it. She does the same thing Christina does except Christina has the better voice. Both are equal in the dancing but none of their dancing is anything to gloat about.

LOL I agree, but where I give Tina credit for better voice, I gotta give Bey credit for her pressence, cause her dancing sure as hell isn't very impressive, but it's the way she handles herself and every walk and handmovement is like BAM, and it's not to say Tina don't have pressence (which anyone who's not a hater knows she does) I know from seeing her OWN in person, but  Bey has more.

Beyonce is special and very talented, to think in this day and age when all the other females that are huge in the game, Beyonce is consider the Icon, the trajectory you want to see happen in a career. For me or any other causal fan at best, its sooooo easy to dismiss this aspect of her performance or that song....at the end I know haters gonna hate.....and I don't wanna be that so, I gives it up for Beyonce, she closed an entire MTV show, and she's one of maybe two Black female artists in the game on point, Rihanna being the other...

My point being, we as Black people used to see many more Black acts in music, lately I dont see that anymore, esp with R&B dying sorta...the day of the huge R&B artist is gone, and to see anyone of color not only hitting hard in the game but dominating it? I can't hate

I thought her perfomance was quite classy and actually very showmanship like, I enjoy that in a performer, someone that knows how to not bore :filenails:

• Upvote 1

Except Christina's music suck and has no stage presence.

• Upvote 1

Beyonce is special and very talented, to think in this day and age when all the other females that are huge in the game, Beyonce is consider the Icon, the trajectory you want to see happen in a career. For me or any other causal fan at best, its sooooo easy to dismiss this aspect of her performance or that song....at the end I know haters gonna hate.....and I don't wanna be that so, I gives it up for Beyonce, she closed an entire MTV show, and she's one of maybe two Black female artists in the game on point, Rihanna being the other...

My point being, we as Black people used to see many more Black acts in music, lately I dont see that anymore, esp with R&B dying sorta...the day of the huge R&B artist is gone, and to see anyone of color not only hitting hard in the game but dominating it? I can't hate

I thought her perfomance was quite classy and actually very showmanship like, I enjoy that in a performer, someone that knows how to not bore  :filenails:

I was bored as fuck watching her tonight. Hell I even liked Nicki's performance better than Beyonce's. I guess there's no other singers doing it how she is I guess so that's all they have is Beyonce. I want everyone in this thread to tell me what exactly did she do on stage tonight that's gonna have everybody talking about it tomorrow?

Except Christina's music suck and has no stage presence.

Christina having no stage presence is one of the worst lies you've ever told on this forum. Hate all you want but you know it's a lie. You might as well say she can't sing too :lol:

Watching the whole show, what the hell is Miley doing just sitting there? After last years owning of the whole show, wouldn't expect her to top it, but I mean come ON lol.

...................................They needed Bruno too.

the whole show sucked. The only performance I actually enjoyed was Nicki's. I did like when Beyonce did Partition but that's cause of the beat of song and I liked her climbing on the chair which really ain't shit but it was just sexy. I guess i'm used to seeing a higher standard of a performer like Janet was in her prime. Hell I even enjoyed Whitney's performances and her ass just stood in one place

The problem is that 80's and 90's babies are spoiled. We saw the birth of the MTV era and what it was capable of. It's like ok... Beyonce... cute but what else ya got?

Were jaded and bored at this point, most of us have abandoned ship, and the younger generation is left confused as to why they aren't selling as big as the artists who came before them.

I tried to put aside my prejudices, and view the show as a kid again with a fresh spirit, but it just didn't do anything for me.

• Upvote 7

The problem is that 80's and 90's babies are spoiled. We saw the birth of the MTV era and what it was capable of. It's like ok... Beyonce... cute but what else ya got?

Were jaded and bored at this point, most of us have abandoned ship, and the younger generation is left confused as to why they aren't selling as big as the artists who came before them.

I tried to put aside my prejudices, and view the show as a kid again with a fresh spirit, but it just didn't do anything for me.

I agree but, there are of course other issues, how can an artist market themselves in an evolving music industry? They still haven't figured out a way to sell music, that's what made other big names, did they do endorsements back in the 80s and 90s? Sure but not at  the level I saw tonight, we didnt see other big names throwing their faces on makeup products to earn a buck, they earned it off album sales alone, a dying format today.

Just finished Bey's, it was really good, like in the SB performance it dipped in the middle, but over all I enjoyed. I wish she did a mix of her older dance songs and her new and then ended with Blue like she did, but since this is a vanguard award I think the performer should do a medley of the hits of their career as well as the new. But for what it was it was good and was the best of the night.

DEAR MTV VMA's:

The problem is that 80's and 90's babies are spoiled. Most of us are now age 25-35. We saw the birth of the MTV era and the greatness it was capable of. Unfortunately this is why record sales are at an all time low. No one really cares when Nicki Minaj/Gaga/Ciara/Beyonce/Justin Timberlake hits the stage because we already saw original versions with Lil Kim/Madonna/Janet/Tina Turner/Michael Jackson. Those are just a few comparisons from a very long list.

Were jaded and bored at this point, which leaves the younger generation confused as to why they aren't selling as many records as the artists who came before them.

Mariah Carey's debut album sold 15 Million copies. Ariane Grande debuted with 100,000. Don't you see the problem here? Trying to "replicate" the greats that are still here today is only hurting the industry. The 15 million people who bought the Mariah Carey album aren't going to magically "forget" who one of the greatest singers of all time is over night.

After all... we actually left our homes to pick up a copy of the CD. Yet somehow this generation is too lazy to download an mp3 from their cell phone.

Please bring talent back to the show, thanks.

10646901_10152193476746755_4973431622570

• Upvote 2

Just finished Bey's, it was really good, like in the SB performance it dipped in the middle, but over all I enjoyed. I wish she did a mix of her older dance songs and her new and then ended with Blue like she did, but since this is a vanguard award I think the performer should do a medley of the hits of their career as well as the new. But for what it was it was good and was the best of the night.

Agree....maybe she knew that and for whatever reason includiing her current tour, it was easier to take what she already has together than create something new encompassing her entire career, and maybe thats a good thing, save that for a more special occassion, Beyonce doing only this album was fine for MTV it wasn't the Grammies boo :coffee:

• Upvote 1

DEAR MTV VMA's:

The problem is that 80's and 90's babies are spoiled. Most of us are now age 25-35. We saw the birth of the MTV era and the greatness it was capable of. Unfortunately this is why record sales are at an all time low. No one really cares when Nicki Minaj/Gaga/Ciara/Beyonce/Justin Timberlake hits the stage because we already saw original versions with Lil Kim/Madonna/Janet/Tina Turner/Michael Jackson. Those are just a few comparisons from a very long list.

Were jaded and bored at this point, which leaves the younger generation confused as to why they aren't selling as many records as the artists who came before them.

Mariah Carey's debut album sold 15 Million copies. Ariane Grande debuted with 100,000. Don't you see the problem here? Trying to "replicate" the greats that are still here today is only hurting the industry. The 15 million people who bought the Mariah Carey album aren't going to magically "forget" who one of the greatest singers of all time is over night.

After all... we actually left our homes to pick up a copy of the CD. Yet somehow this generation is too lazy to download an mp3 from their cell phone.

Please bring talent back to the show, thanks.

10646901_10152193476746755_4973431622570

I'm lost at the fact that Ciara and Lil Kim are listed

• Upvote 1