MTV VMAs 2014 - Official Discussion Thread - RATINGS DROPPED FROM LAST YEAR

Rock & Roll Hall of Game

Worst VMAs ever. And that's really saying something. Last year was such a return to form after who knows how long, so the fact that this was basically irredeemable just plain irritates me.

In order to get the show right they need to start with the awards themselves. Who is responsible for these nominees? In what fucking world does Lorde produce Rock music? Not only were the categories terrible but then they have the nerve to only present eight of these awards on air? I lost count of the amount of ad breaks and force-feeding of 5SOS we had to endure. Get your content right, remember these are VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS and then you might start to claw back some of that long lost credibility. We get that it's 2014 but not all viewers have the attention span of a gnat so back yourselves and reinstate the balance of music cred and star power that used to make the VMAs must-see for music lovers. It wasn't all that long ago that Johnny Cash sat alongside Missy Elliott and Justin Timberlake in the Video of the Year category. I dare them to be that ballsy and true to the music video artform ever again. Presumably that's why we're also unworthy of actually hearing a clip or being treated to any substantial footage of these videos when the nominees are announced. That remix treatment they had going on was SHIT.

Then, kick out the team that insists on all these quirky seating arrangements. That is not how you seat an audience and it's frustrated me for years! Save that shit for the EMAs, go back to formal seating and while you're at it, spring for a damn host.

Lastly, there was not a single standout performance. Beyonce is the closest you'll get and that was just her going through the motions. At least 2013 gave us stellar turns from Kanye and Kendrick Lamar, let alone JT's mini-concert and the emancipation of Miley. Seriously, Ariana Grande has the personality of a biscuit and the stage presence to match, but sure, let's have her open the show. Aim higher. Do better.

And if in doubt, just go back and study the '99 VMAs. They were perfection.

• Upvote 4

The problem is that 80's and 90's babies are spoiled. We saw the birth of the MTV era and what it was capable of. It's like ok... Beyonce... cute but what else ya got?

Were jaded and bored at this point, most of us have abandoned ship, and the younger generation is left confused as to why they aren't selling as big as the artists who came before them.

I tried to put aside my prejudices, and view the show as a kid again with a fresh spirit, but it just didn't do anything for me.

Yes! The kids have no one else who can put on a show like our faves did and yeah I guess the closest is Beyonce although if Christina had more recent hits she'd be right up there too and if Britney actually danced she'd be up there also.

Worst VMAs ever. And that's really saying something. Last year was such a return to form after who knows how long, so the fact that this was basically irredeemable just plain irritates me.

In order to get the show right they need to start with the awards themselves. Who is responsible for these nominees? In what fucking world does Lorde produce Rock music? Not only were the categories terrible but then they have the nerve to only present eight of these awards on air? I lost count of the amount of ad breaks and force-feeding of 5SOS we had to endure. Get your content right, remember these are VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS and then you might start to claw back some of that long lost credibility. We get that it's 2014 but not all viewers have the attention span of a gnat so back yourselves and reinstate the balance of music cred and star power that used to make the VMAs must-see for music lovers. It wasn't all that long ago that Johnny Cash sat alongside Missy Elliott and Justin Timberlake in the Video of the Year category. I dare them to be that ballsy and true to the music video artform ever again. Presumably that's why we're also unworthy of actually hearing a clip or being treated to any substantial footage of these videos when the nominees are announced. That remix treatment they had going on was SHIT.

Then, kick out the team that insists on all these quirky seating arrangements. That is not how you seat an audience and it's frustrated me for years! Save that shit for the EMAs, go back to formal seating and while you're at it, spring for a damn host.

Lastly, there was not a single standout performance. Beyonce is the closest you'll get and that was just her going through the motions. At least 2013 gave us stellar turns from Kanye and Kendrick Lamar, let alone JT's mini-concert and the emancipation of Miley. Seriously, Ariana Grande has the personality of a biscuit and the stage presence to match, but sure, let's have her open the show. Aim higher. Do better.

Thank you! People in this thread acting like Beyonce gave a memorable performance :lol: She just recycled some of her superbowl and tour performances. Having to ask the crowd to get up on their feet is just :umm: they should already be on their feet if you're putting on that good of a show. Hell after she finished there were people still sitting down in the audience :sigh:

I luh ya mate.

• Upvote 1

Beyonce shut that shit down.

She's the fucking queen.

the only thing she shut down was almost my eye lids during those boring ass songs. I woke back up when she did Partition but that was a boring performance in itself. She flipped her hair and spun around the pole 3 times in a row. Yes Queen of the stage she is :)

Yes! The kids have no one else who can put on a show like our faves did and yeah I guess the closest is Beyonce although if Christina had more recent hits she'd be right up there too and if Britney actually danced she'd be up there also.

Thank you! People in this thread acting like Beyonce gave a memorable performance :lol: She just recycled some of her superbowl and tour performances. Having to ask the crowd to get up on their feet is just :umm: they should already be on their feet if you're putting on that good of a show. Hell after she finished there were people still sitting down in the audience :sigh:

The album was out during the Superbowl? :unsure:

thoughtful-oprah.gif

The album was out during the Superbowl? :unsure:

thoughtful-oprah.gif

Lol no BUT she could have sang her hits and not perform every fucking song from her album tho

I think MTV put all their coins into Beyonce which wasn't needed.. Spread the love.. I'm sure Nicki would gave a better perfromance if her stage and shit was top notch

I feel sorry for Usher.. Been doing this since 1994 and they do not want to give him a major award

Lol no BUT she could have sang her hits and not perform every fucking song from her album tho

I think MTV put all their coins into Beyonce which wasn't needed.. Spread the love.. I'm sure Nicki would gave a better perfromance if her stage and shit was top notch

That is literally the best set nicki has ever been given. WTF are you talking abt old man?  :lmao:

the only thing she shut down was almost my eye lids during those boring ass songs. I woke back up when she did Partition but that was a boring performance in itself. She flipped her hair and spun around the pole 3 times in a row. Yes Queen of the stage she is :)

Nah, yo old ass was just sleepy cause Beyoncé had YOU up past 9.