Judge rules Blurred Lines STOLEN. Judge orders them to pay $7.4million to Marvin Gaye family

bu.

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A jury awarded Marvin Gaye's children nearly $7.4 million Tuesday after determining singers Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams copied their father's music to create "Blurred Lines," the biggest hit song of 2013.

Marvin Gaye's daughter Nona Gaye wept as the verdict was being read and was hugged by her attorney, Richard Busch.

"Right now, I feel free," Nona Gaye said after the verdict. "Free from ... Pharrell Williams and Robin Thicke's chains and what they tried to keep on us and the lies that were told."

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/legal-and-management/6495158/blurred-lines-trial-verdict-jury-rules-against

igUGAe5Col81o.gif

Eh they had it coming, their explinations were horrible, the sad truth is they so could've avoided this because they didn't sample the song so the Gaye family shouldn't have even had a case, but every move they made about this trial was wrong. Glad its over, song still slays, so boom pay that change, and keep it moving. From jump this battle was stupid on both ends. They went around forever telling the truth that the song was inspired by GTGIU, but then Pharell now wanna say he didn't have that song in mind when creating this, I knew they'd lose as soon as he said that.

In reality this ruling more so says there's no such thing as inspiration just stealing, so this wasn't a win for art inspiration and that's disappointing, but at the end of the day they did a bad job representing their/that side. 

• Upvote 2

Robin Thicke was the worst thing that happen in this case, he spoke publicly about the song and case, which didn't help, but defended his actions by saying he was either drunk or high the entire time.... :umm:

Im glad the Gaye family won, this was a high profile trial, lots of media coverage. One song clearly sounds like the other.

Robin Thicke was the worst thing that happen in this case, he spoke publicly about the song and case, which didn't help, but defended his actions by saying he was either drunk or high the entire time.... :umm:

Im glad the Gaye family won, this was a high profile trial, lots of media coverage. One song clearly sounds like the other.

Robin Thicke was an ass about the whole thing. He then admitted that he was taking credit for a song he never wrote, and was basically saying it was all on Pharrell. He's a mess.

Robin Thicke was an ass about the whole thing. He then admitted that he was taking credit for a song he never wrote, and was basically saying it was all on Pharrell. He's a mess.

They played the songs in court over and over, and even Pharrell got confused and said during testimony "they sound alike" ...Robin Thicke had a one hit wonder, so Im not bothered by the fact he took a hit, besides he did Paula wrong karma is a bitch -_-

what surprised me the most is Pharrell can''t read piano notes.....you stole em you should know :whistle:

To me  he & Pharell were overdoing it, like whoever their legal council was from jump should never have a career again, they advised both of them horribly. If you know about the Gaye family you know they've been trying this with artists for years for having songs that sounded similar to Marvins but didn't sample and it never mattered or worked for them in a huge pay day, they lucked out on this 1, Pharell & Robin both handed it to them. 

To me  he & Pharell were overdoing it, like whoever their legal council was from jump should never have a career again, they advised both of them horribly. If you know about the Gaye family you know they've been trying this with artists for years for having songs that sounded similar to Marvins but didn't sample and it never mattered or worked for them in a huge pay day, they lucked out on this 1, Pharell & Robin both handed it to them. 

true that, but this made for a fat pay day for the Gaye family, "Blurred Lines" was playing on the radio like every fifth song, I kid you not! There is no case to be made the money didn't come in, that song for better or worst owned that year. So they gotta pay up the judgement aint too far off :filenails:

true that, but this made for a fat pay day for the Gaye family, "Blurred Lines" was playing on the radio like every fifth song, I kid you not! There is no case to be made the money didn't come in, that song for better or worst owned that year. So they gotta pay up the judgement aint too far off :filenails:

Oh trust from jump just to cover their asses they should've warmed up with the fam or paid them a lil hush money since the fam came out negative about it from jump (like they do with everything inspired by Marvin and that brings in money). What's sad tho is because the family won, it can mean something entirely new for artists being inspired....a whole generation of MJ & Janet clones can be careerless & hitless if inspiration isn't a factor anymore.

• Upvote 1

Oh trust from jump just to cover their asses they should've warmed up with the fam or paid them a lil hush money since the fam came out negative about it from jump (like they do with everything inspired by Marvin and that brings in money). What's sad tho is because the family won, it can mean something entirely new for artists being inspired....a whole generation of MJ & Janet clones can be careerless & hitless if inspiration isn't a factor anymore.

I like this, not just for whats stated, but I guess this does set a precedent, if that's the case Justina can pay the MJ estate awhole shit load :lmao:

I like this, not just for whats stated, but I guess this does set a precedent, if that's the case Justina can pay the MJ estate awhole shit load :lmao:

True, but beyond just him Usher, Bruno, Chris, & Ne-Yo, all have bitten heavily off MJ (some more than others) but this got me thinking on 1 hand this kind of thing might force musicians to be more original. Or at the very least it'll probably put restrictions on song similarities which I might hate, because there is alot of really great music inspired by other music & other artists, now artists who make a career out of that music...eh, but it'll be interesting to see what impact this has on the industry in terms of inspiration

True, but beyond just him Usher, Bruno, Chris, & Ne-Yo, all have bitten heavily off MJ (some more than others) but this got me thinking on 1 hand this kind of thing might force musicians to be more original. Or at the very least it'll probably put restrictions on song similarities which I might hate, because there is alot of really great music inspired by other music & other artists, now artists who make a career out of that music...eh, but it'll be interesting to see what impact this has on the industry in terms of inspiration

I can go with all that, but the hold up here is these guys should have paid up sooner, the fact this went to trial in such a public way, serves them right, they played this case stupid ... :sigh: if you're gonna damn near copy and paste be prepared to pay up :coffee:

Hopefully this'll force Robin to go back to making music the way he used to. The last thing he and several artists need is this much spotlight. It brings out the worst in them, and it did so heavily with him.

In the end it doesn't matter... It's Robin Thicke.. I'm sure he called and asked Beyonce for directions so it won't happen again

In the end it doesn't matter... It's Robin Thicke.. I'm sure he called and asked Beyonce for directions so it won't happen again

Maybe Pharrell, but not Robin. He lost so much during this time in his career including his wife and nearly half the profits of his biggest hit. No doubt he's learned his lesson. If he does continue making music it's going to be the way he did before.