Judge rules Blurred Lines STOLEN. Judge orders them to pay $7.4million to Marvin Gaye family

bu.

Uh oh what? That writer clearly is in favor of the Thicke's song

This is bigger than the song, like or hate the song (or him) this rulling can change everything in terms of  inspiration, songs sounding similar without any sampling That's so common in today's mainstream music industry.

It's like the Power.Rangers thing that happened a few weeks ago, it's not about liking or not liking that video, it's about the right to exist and pay homage without HAVING to have permission.

This is bigger than the song, like or hate the song (or him) this rulling can change everything in terms of  inspiration, songs sounding similar without any sampling That's so common in today's mainstream music industry.

It's like the Power.Rangers thing that happened a few weeks ago, it's not about liking or not liking that video, it's about the right to exist and pay homage without HAVING to have permission.

^THAT...an article that backs exactly what Jarrylf posted in this thread
  • Upvote 1

Yea hey, even as a fan he could stop now retire from it all he'll be fine, he had his moment, that song and it's impact and everything that came with it was his moment, and for a man who speant his whole career in the realm of modern R&B, and he had a major pop moment and it tore him apart in nearly everyway, he wasn't built for mainstream, and he made that too clear, But he got a bigger taste than most who stick to R&B do. At the end of the day if he goes back to just being about the music, he'll be alright, don't need another hit, just needs to keep it real again.

This is bigger than the song, like or hate the song (or him) this rulling can change everything in terms of inspiration, songs sounding similar without any sampling That's so common in today's mainstream music industry.

Ehh I think this is an isolated case.

Not the same since the videos are back up that same week and it wasn't for profit

Ehh I think this is an isolated case.

Not the same since the videos are back up that same week and it wasn't for profit

At this point it is speculation or concern or opinion, but the rulling can be sited everytime a artists song sounds too similar to another artists song or signature style, and I HATE that. Musicians should have the right to do a similar song to another that's not sampling so it requires no permission or sharing the profits with a artist who's contribution to the song was nothing but influence. Now for folks who make a career out of influence, Im not for that but eh they should have the right to be that heavily inspired if it's not directly stealing.

EXCLUSIVE: After 'Blurred Lines' Victory, Gaye Family Talks 'Happy' Similarities

After winning a major victory in court over the song "Blurred Lines," Marvin Gaye's family sat down with ET's Nischelle Turner to talk about what the court decision means to them.

"My heart started pounding but I still had faith that the verdict was going to go our way," Janis Gaye, Marvin's ex-wife, said of the moments just before the verdict was read. And when the jury ruled in their favor, emotion swept over the room. "That's when I lost it completely. And I was filled with incredibly powerful emotion."

While the family was just awarded $7.4 million -- and is currently seeking an injunction against the song -- that doesn't mean their legal battle is over. According to at least one user on YouTube, Williams' 2014 mega-hit "Happy" bears a similar sound to Gaye's "Ain't That Peculiar."

"I'm not going to lie. I do think they sound alike," Nona Gaye, Marvin's 40-year-old daughter, said. However, she added that she wasn't thinking about the legal implications right now. "We're not in that space."

"We're just in the moment today and we're satisfied," Janis added.

"I heard the mash-ups -- but I didn't really need to hear them," said Janis Gaye. "I know 'Ain't That Peculiar' and I've heard 'Happy.'"

"Ain't that peculiar," quipped Marvin Gaye III.

http://m.etonline.com/news/160962_after_blurred_lines_victory_gaye_family_takes_another_listen_to_happy_similarities/

:sigh:

Right? That's some ignant shit, they got away with what they've been fishing for for years with many artists, they got a payoff they don't deserve, now they think they can do this with everything & everyone with a hint of "Marvin esque", ugh as greedy as the Jackson fam is, I hope they dont get inspired by this and come for everyone biting off of MJ. That's ALOT of names and ALOT of music. But I'd hope they'd have more respect & understanding....but they are greedy, so we'll see.

• Upvote 1

Right? That's some ignant shit, they got away with what they've been fishing for for years with many artists, they got a payoff they don't deserve, now they think they can do this with everything & everyone with a hint of "Marvin esque", ugh as greedy as the Jackson fam is, I hope they dont get inspired by this and come for everyone biting off of MJ. That's ALOT of names and ALOT of music. But I'd hope they'd have more respect & understanding....but they are greedy, so we'll see.

They can't bc they don't own the rights to his catalog as oppose to these thirsty children 

• Upvote 1