Man sentenced to 6 months after years of knowingly spreading HIV

JoeJoe

“I am not a monster,” Thomas Guerra told the courtroom before receiving his sentencing this week.

Back in August of last year we reported on an unsettling story out of San Diego involving then-29-year-old Guerra knowingly infecting his boyfriend with HIV.

The boyfriend was contacted by a former lover of Guerra via Facebook Messenger, who warned him that Thomas was a liar and HIV-positive.

“Texts where he’s stating he’s negative to people then bragging to others about giving people his ‘positive load.’ It’s crude, it’s… I don’t know how someone could treat another individual like that,” Guerra’s accuser, who chooses to remain anonymous, said at the time.

Related: Sean Cody Model-Turned-Murderer Profiled In Crime Series: “Killing Aroused Him”

Guerra was charged by the San Diego City Attorney’s Office for willfully exposing himself to another person with HIV, a misdemeanor with a maximum sentence of six months and $1,000 fine.

Judge Lewis, who sentenced him, called the six-month jail time in the case a “travesty.”

“I think that’s a tremendous oversight in the law if this is just a misdemeanor,” she said. “If any good comes out of it, that this law would change” and become a felony.

Guerra pleaded no contest, and throughout sentencing showed no signs of wrongdoing or remorse.

In fact, he blamed the victim — in this case, his former lover of a year.

“I did not rape this person,” he told the visibly frustrated judge. “I did not take him against his will. Within 5 minutes of Grindr text messaging, he was there. So if you’re that reckless with your life, how can you blame anyone else for your actions?”

Evidence included 11,000 text messages he sent and 36 audio clips showing he was deceitful with sexual partners about being HIV positive.

“I don’t think in my 25-plus years in a law, I’ve ever seen somebody be so lacking of insight, blame or responsibility that you have demonstrated,” Judge Lewis told Guerra

http://www.queerty.com/man-sentenced-to-six-months-after-years-of-knowingly-spreading-hiv-i-am-not-a-monster-20150505

people are responsible for their own lives and everybody knows the risk of having unprotected sex, but I do feel like they should up his sentence from 6 months to 6 years or more because it will make an example that this kind of behavior is unacceptable...if you know your status share it with anybody you have sex with.

US law only allows 6 months? :umm:. They must have set that when they thought it was a "gay disease". 

I think you're right to some degree, in short, no one with power to change the laws sees this as an issue anyone gives a fuck about, consenting adults have sex, someone lies about their status, and well shit happens.....and the fact they're gay ...well people really stop caring then. :filenails:

Referencing that other thread, this is a case where I'd support the death penalty. He practically took their lives by doing this to them. Speed up his clock and give him that lethal dose. 

I don't support the death penalty. I'd like for them to suffer instead of pretty much instant death

I'd support the death penalty if it was applied correctly instead of its history, at the minimum those sentence to death spend decades in appeals, and at the worst the flawed system has put to death folks, while not perfect, still innocent of the crimes they were put to death for.

We all know you are responsible for you're own choices.

If you're married or in a committed relationship and both of you have proof of a negative status and one of ya'll cheat.. I think the jail time should be over 10 years.. 

I'm with this. I say at least 10yrs with no chance of parole