My open letter to Janet and her team

feehgarcia

She lived in the Middle East and Paris for a large portion of the last 5 years for obvious reason so of course she will pick up on new worlds. If you lived outside of Detroit, let's say NYC.. You will pick up on local vocabulary. When you interact with humans who are completely different than you, you learn new things. It's human nature. 

During the relationship with that DeeJay she used more street slang for some ungodly reason.

she has always used street slang when needed even before JD. There was no increase of it. But your comment just proves what most people have been saying. Her men influence her and she defers to them. "When they ask you give them what they want" "they could be asking someone else" her words that just falls back on her self with and esteem issues. She is superior in any relationship. She should be making the rules

• Upvote 1

Exactly. Hardly anyone does era's like that any more because a) even the massive labels can barely afford it so how the hell would an independent and b-) albums don't sell so what's the point?. 

Janet was like "Y'all ain't having no dessert, because sugar is bad for you. Here's a kick ass salad for your main, and that's all ya getting, fatties" :lmao:.

Exactly, and we too easily stumble on "WELL SHE' S RICH SHE CAN AFFORD IT ALL", like said in a older post, we don't her business as much as we like to think we do., so beyond that the bill is on her, we don't know her reasoning for dick..maybe it's dick...you never know

Damn right she's yall gone eat what ya need not what ya wants!

She lived in the Middle East and Paris for a large portion of the last 5 years for obvious reason so of course she will pick up on new worlds. If you lived outside of Detroit, let's say NYC.. You will pick up on local vocabulary. When you interact with humans who are completely different than you, you learn new things. It's human nature. 

During the relationship with that DeeJay she used more street slang for some ungodly reason.

True, since living in Cali I get caught up with phrases and all these trendy hipster words now lol. It has less to do with 1 person's influence and more to do with your enviornment, when she was with JD she was hanging around his artists and his freinds and like you said that's just human nature. 

• Upvote 1

She is superior in any relationship. She should be making the rules

You don't get a say in who controls what in her private life.. You also don't get to diagnosis her with your pointless evaluation since you don't know 

Also I didn't confirm you pessimists beliefs that Janet is somehow controlled by her partner. I assume you're single and haven't been in a relationship with anyone outside your own box. 

True, since living in Cali I get caught up with phrases and all these trendy hipster words now lol. It has less to do with 1 person's influence and more to do with your enviornment, when she was with JD she was hanging around his artists and his freinds and like you said that's just human nature. 

That goes for Janet and every one else who has entered a serious relationship 

Edited by Game
  • Upvote 3

All o this

Personally I'm low-key glad the tour was cancelled because I was front row in 2011 and anything less this time would not be as exciting for me. Selfish reasoning but oh well. 

As for the era - I was quite used to the idea of there not being many videos etc largely because aside from Beyonce who did a video for every song (which would cost a lot), most of my faves barely do videos any more, and in Mariah's case - not so good videos are made for songs that should never have been singles :shifty:.Point is - I'm use to underwhelming eras with mediocre albums. But in Janet's case it was an underwhelming era with a fucking amazing album - and I'll take that over a promoted but crap era/meh album any day. 

trust me those cheap ass videos didn't cost a lot. One was on a beach with her frolicking in the sand, you can do that shit with any camcorder. Partition was in a Limo, you can rent one for $100. Blow was done in a skating rink, rent one out for a few hundred or maybe a couple thousand.

trust me those cheap ass videos didn't cost a lot. One was on a beach with her frolicking in the sand, you can do that shit with any camcorder. Partition was in a Limo, you can rent one for $100. Blow was done in a skating rink, rent one out for a few hundred or maybe a couple thousand.

But then you're not accounting for the permit ,the hair, makeup, director, assistants, lighting, food, security, cleaning, the trailers, the tents the props, some locations you're paying by the hour. God forbid in cases like Blow where there's extras and dancers, cause then you're factoring in their hair, makeup, wardrobe, food, and then you have to consider their potential overtime. With filming on a location for a production, it's ALOT that goes into it. Not to say she doesn't have alot of videos that end up looking cheap and like they didn't require much imagination, but it's more to it than just renting the location. And yea she can afford it, but she also has major sponsors and label support.

But then you're not accounting for the permit ,the hair, makeup, director, assistants, lighting, food, security, cleaning, the trailers, the tents the props, some locations you're paying by the hour. God forbid in cases like Blow where there's extras and dancers, cause then you're factoring in their hair, makeup, wardrobe, food, and then you have to consider their potential overtime. With filming on a location for a production, it's ALOT that goes into it. Not to say she doesn't have alot of videos that end up looking cheap and like they didn't require much imagination, but it's more to it than just renting the location. And yea she can afford it, but she also has major sponsors and label support.

still none of that is equal to anywhere close to $1 million. Even with all that Blow still didn't cost a lot and neither did any of the other videos. Trying to make it seem more expensive than what it was is still no excuse for Janet only releasing 1 video which was in a rented mansion. Videos are much cheaper to make these days than back then.

• Upvote 1

still none of that is equal to anywhere close to $1 million. Even with all that Blow still didn't cost a lot and neither did any of the other videos. Trying to make it seem more expensive than what it was is still no excuse for Janet only releasing 1 video which was in a rented mansion. Videos are much cheaper to make these days than back then.

But it's money directly coming out of her pockets that  for reasons unknown to us, she don't wanna spend. And on the Bey thing, how do you know it didn't cost alot, I've realized really quickly there's alot of shit that looks cheap that's actually expensive (hell look at alot of her wigs). Videos are more than likely cheaper to make these days, but very few major artists we see now who are independent are doing a bunch of videos, because it's money they have to pay. Hype Williams might've been the biggest expense on Blow, but he aint cheap....his work just looks like it alot these days. Hell Call On Me cost a Million dollars to make, and it's 1 of Janet's most expensive music videos....but it don't look like it (to me anyway), vs. I get Lonely also cost a milliion but actually looks like it

Edited by jarrylf
  • Upvote 2

But it's money directly coming out of her pockets that  for reasons unknown to us, she don't wanna spend. And on the Bey thing, how do you know it didn't cost alot, I've realized really quickly there's alot of shit that looks cheap that's actually expensive (hell look at alot of her wigs). Videos are more than likely cheaper to make these days, but very few major artists we see now who are independent are doing a bunch of videos, because it's money they have to pay. Hype Williams might've been the biggest expense on Blow, but he aint cheap....his work just looks like it alot these days. Hell Call On Me cost a Million dollars to make, and it's 1 of Janet's most expensive music videos....but it don't look like it (to me anyway), vs. I get Lonely also cost a milliion but actually looks like it

When has Beyonce's matted weaves look like they costed a lot. Most of the time it looks like she got it right around the corner at Sally's Beauty Supply. Many independent artists are doing videos and putting plenty out lol. Janet doesn't get a pass just because she's Janet. Who says her videos have to be expensive? No Sleep surely wasn't. Besides she's already shot the video for "Dammn Baby" so the "it's coming out of her pocket" means nothing. Just as much as she's spending money on videos she's made tons more from the tour, especially the tour shirts and tour books. Also album sales. "Call On Me" has always looked expensive lol. Many set changes and a lot of CGI. I don't see how anyone wouldn't think it looked expensive. 

Edited by JoeJoe

When has Beyonce's matted weaves look like they costed a lot. Most of the time it looks like she got it right around the corner at Sally's Beauty Supply. Many independent artists are doing videos and putting plenty out lol. Janet doesn't get a pass just because she's Janet. Who says her videos have to be expensive? No Sleep surely wasn't. Besides she's already shot the video for "Dammn Baby" so the "it's coming out of her pocket" means nothing. Just as much as she's spending money on videos she's made tons more from the tour, especially the tour shirts and tour books. Also album sales. "Call On Me" has always looked expensive lol. Many set changes and a lot of CGI. I don't see how anyone wouldn't think it looked expensive. 

That's what I'm saying, they don't look it but they do cost well over $10K for the most part. I can't think of 1 major independant artist who's doing more than 2-3 videos per era, except. Most independant artists who have "alot" are mixtape artists who're getting their friends and fam to lend their services for credit, if she did a video of that low of quality everyboody would be dogging that, the videos don't have to be expensive but why do a video for the simple purpuse of "having a video" and having it look cheap? I mean what's your evidece that No Sleeep wasn't? Janet gets a pass because it's Janet's money, same for Prince, same for Toni, same for all who are funding their own shit, when you're personally paying you decide what you will and won't pay. Nah Call On Me looks like alot of Greenscreen help to me, and alot I mean the video gets trashed more than the song (and both get trashed more than either really needs to be to me).  

Edited by jarrylf
  • Upvote 2

Ok, we get it. Janet's on a shoestring budget this era... She shouldn't  have  hyped  it  up  from the start, having her/her team writing  checks her ass can't cash.

She didn't. You all THOUGHT she was going to releasing multi-videos... On an independent budget. Talk about delusional 

• Upvote 3

Beyonce didn't pay one cent for being on set... That's all you gotta say.. Doesn't matter if her cheap ass videos were $10k or $2 million.. She didn't foot the bill. End of story

• Upvote 1

The cost isn't just from the rent. You've got to pay the crew (of which there can be a lot) and then the 'cast'. She had some high profile directors too who would also want paying such as Hype and Jonas Akerlund. There's a lot that goes into the video - not just what we see. I'm glad you watched them though :lol:

• Upvote 2

The cost isn't just from the rent. You've got to pay the crew (of which there can be a lot) and then the 'cast'. She had some high profile directors too who would also want paying such as Hype and Jonas Akerlund. There's a lot that goes into the video - not just what we see. I'm glad you watched them though :lol:

https://www.indigoprod.com/nyc-video-production-blog/2013/08/how-much-does-it-cost-to-make-a-music-video/

• Upvote 2

She didn't. You all THOUGHT she was going to releasing multi-videos... On an independent budget. Talk about delusional 

Im not even referring to a multitude of videos, even though they just  shelved Dammn Baby.

I'm sure her barely-there promo was dictated by a slim budget. What exactly was this new movement? What's next for Rhythm Nation Records? Why did she cancel iHeart radio again...? Ah yes, it's costly. 

She practically just cancelled her funding mechanism for it all(the tour) because this whole time she was secretly planning a family. Look, I'm happy for her (a great #1album & a baby) -- but this era was piss-poor in terms of management/organization.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Tears. Videos don't cost much. She was just lazy

Thank you. I'm not here for the excuses. Unless a video costs near $1 million then i'll consider it expensive.

Interesting read. Shocked that something as basic as Single Ladies cost $200k

that's a lot to us but not to someone who has hundreds of millions and will recoup money due to touring and album sales. That's actually very very cheap especially considering all the things you and Jarryl brought up about production crew and yada yada lol

Thank you. I'm not here for the excuses. Unless a video costs near $1 million then i'll consider it expensive.

that's a lot to us but not to someone who has hundreds of millions and will recoup money due to touring and album sales. That's actually very very cheap especially considering all the things you and Jarryl brought up about production crew and yada yada lol

Multiply it by 15

why would I multiply $200,000 by 15? if that's the case you're furthering my point even more of how cheap it is to make videos. $3 million to make 15 videos is cheap as fuck lol.

It's clearly not cheap if no one is doing it :lmao:. Most artists would be lucky to make a million for their label yet alone 3 million. Janet, with no major label, knew she wasn't going to sell albums like hot cakes hence why she didn't bother spending the money or her time and focused on the tour. 

For the record, Beyoncé's album generated $13million in her first week which would have recouped a basic estimate of $3million video costs without touring (which is most likely a way off estimate anyway). Not many people can say that.

• Upvote 3

It's clearly not cheap if no one is doing it :lmao:. Most artists would be lucky to make a million for their label yet alone 3 million. Janet, with no major label, knew she wasn't going to sell albums like hot cakes hence why she didn't bother spending the money or her time and focused on the tour. 

For the record, Beyoncé's album generated $13million in her first week which would have recouped a basic estimate of $3million video costs without touring (which is most likely a way off estimate anyway). Not many people can say that.

How you just gone not lie like that, like that's so rude how you just gone come through with facts.

• Upvote 3

How you just gone not lie like that, like that's so rude how you just gone come through with facts.

:asham:. It's no wonder all these acts keep getting dropped. How many videos did Ciara make for the last few albums? Did it do her any good? Not at all. So what's the point? 

I really hate that I bought Beyoncé up because it's going to seem like I'm just stanning for her when I'm trying not to :asham:.

• Upvote 1