My open letter to Janet and her team

feehgarcia

When has Beyonce's matted weaves look like they costed a lot. Most of the time it looks like she got it right around the corner at Sally's Beauty Supply. Many independent artists are doing videos and putting plenty out lol. Janet doesn't get a pass just because she's Janet. Who says her videos have to be expensive? No Sleep surely wasn't. Besides she's already shot the video for "Dammn Baby" so the "it's coming out of her pocket" means nothing. Just as much as she's spending money on videos she's made tons more from the tour, especially the tour shirts and tour books. Also album sales. "Call On Me" has always looked expensive lol. Many set changes and a lot of CGI. I don't see how anyone wouldn't think it looked expensive. 

:lmao: People make full featured films these days for less than videos are made so budget is no excuse.  Blair Witch was cheap AF to make and was a major hit.  She could stand in the mirror in her bathroom and make a video for After you fall or just show video clips for should've known better. Damm baby could have been performed at one of the shows and filmed as a live music video.  A lot of her songs dont even call for big budget videos.  I dont think she is used to this new digital age and not having TRL or 106 and park and her team has no clue how to market a video outside of that arena so they did not bother putting much effort into making any.  

She didn't. You all THOUGHT she was going to releasing multi-videos... On an independent budget. Talk about delusional 

If this is not hype I dont know what hype is.  -_- I'm sure they broke the bank making this one.   The budget has nothing to do with going on the View or the Talk or Ellen or performing at the BET awards or doing radio interviews.  All that is free.  It boils down to having a disastrous team who does not have the creative fortitude to come up with a good marketing strategy knowing that this iconic artist is on a ramon noodle budget

• Upvote 3

:asham:. It's no wonder all these acts keep getting dropped. How many videos did Ciara make for the last few albums? Did it do her any good? Not at all. So what's the point? 

I really hate that I bought Beyoncé up because it's going to seem like I'm just stanning for her when I'm trying not to :asham:.

:lmao:, BETTER example than Ciara.............KEYSHIA COLE, Bitch tried to do the video for every track and CLEARLY was on a TIGHT TIGHT TIIIIIIGHT Budget, and either the world laughed at them or ignored, I sat through every 1 of them and .....yea when I say I don't want a video for the purpuse of saying "this song got a video"......she's in mind

LOL Yea maybe Taylor or Bieb, but still the 2 of them & Bey are relevant to what we're discussing they got the labels paying up the ass for their videos and it's working, but would.they? We'd ONLY know if this if they went this route, this is about how a person chooses to spend their own money.

• Upvote 1

:lmao:, BETTER example than Ciara.............KEYSHIA COLE, Bitch tried to do the video for every track and CLEARLY was on a TIGHT TIGHT TIIIIIIGHT Budget, and either the world laughed at them or ignored, I sat through every 1 of them and .....yea when I say I don't want a video for the purpuse of saying "this song got a video"......she's in mind

LOL Yea maybe Taylor or Bieb, but still the 2 of them & Bey are relevant to what we're discussing they got the labels paying up the ass for their videos and it's working, but would.they? We'd ONLY know if this if they went this route, this is about how a person chooses to spend their own money.

oh shit I forgot about Keyshia :lmao:! I lost track of her videos! Mess!

So true. Unless you're making big money for a label, you're not going to get any money unless you're hot for them. Look at Tinashe, she recently called a spade a spade and outted her label for basically giving her budget to Zayn. So if labels are struggling like that, then it doesn't make sense for an independent artist to spend money on something that won't make money especially when they have more to lose, since it's their own money, even if it is a legend like Janet.

• Upvote 2

Im not even referring to a multitude of videos, even though they just  shelved Dammn Baby.

I'm sure her barely-there promo was dictated by a slim budget. What exactly was this new movement? What's next for Rhythm Nation Records? Why did she cancel iHeart radio again...? Ah yes, it's costly. 

She practically just cancelled her funding mechanism for it all(the tour) because this whole time she was secretly planning a family. Look, I'm happy for her (a great #1album & a baby) -- but this era was piss-poor in terms of management/organization.

1) You have no source to back your claim about DB 

2) Her new movement was a label-free Janet

3) Janet can still release music in the future under RN records with BMG's backing as they would proudly hold on to their top client

4) Who cares about iHeartRadio

5) She doesn't need to tour for money and she canceled to start a family. You mad? Nah.. You're selfish and unrealistic 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

:lmao: People make full featured films these days for less than videos are made so budget is no excuse.  Blair Witch was cheap AF to make and was a major hit.  She could stand in the mirror in her bathroom and make a video for After you fall or just show video clips for should've known better. Damm baby could have been performed at one of the shows and filmed as a live music video.  A lot of her songs dont even call for big budget videos.  I dont think she is used to this new digital age and not having TRL or 106 and park and her team has no clue how to market a video outside of that arena so they did not bother putting much effort into making any.  

If this is not hype I dont know what hype is.  -_- I'm sure they broke the bank making this one.   The budget has nothing to do with going on the View or the Talk or Ellen or performing at the BET awards or doing radio interviews.  All that is free.  It boils down to having a disastrous team who does not have the creative fortitude to come up with a good marketing strategy knowing that this iconic artist is on a ramon noodle budget

All of that is not free. Idk who told you that  but they lied 

Edited by Game
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It's clearly not cheap if no one is doing it :lmao:. Most artists would be lucky to make a million for their label yet alone 3 million. Janet, with no major label, knew she wasn't going to sell albums like hot cakes hence why she didn't bother spending the money or her time and focused on the tour. 

For the record, Beyoncé's album generated $13million in her first week which would have recouped a basic estimate of $3million video costs without touring (which is most likely a way off estimate anyway). Not many people can say that.

DIS BISH POSTIN TRUTH GOT ME LIKE :o 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

All of that is not free. Idk who told you that  but they lied 

Since when did an artist have to pay to sit on a couch or in front of a camera a answer questions? Let me know. How much do whoppie and them charge celebs to talk to them. 

1) You have no source to back your claim about DB 

2) Her new movement was a label-free Janet

3) Janet can still release music in the future under RN records with BMG's backing as they would proudly hold on to their top client

4) Who cares about iHeartRadio

5) She doesn't need to tour for money and she canceled to start a family. You mad? Nah.. You're selfish and unrealistic 

1. No source needed the video "coming soon" has not come that would mean it is shelved 

2. She never explained the movement. Just like you said you don't believe she's Muslim because she hasn't said so. She hasn't said what the movement is

3. Top client? Hmm you don't know what BMG will do we haven't heard from them since last year 

4. A lot of people care about I heart and she should too.  The top artist still play their live shows. It wouldn't hurt with Janet getting zero radio play 

5. Your whole list is unrealistic. First you say she's to broke to make videos now you say she doesnt have to your for money 

oh shit I forgot about Keyshia :lmao:! I lost track of her videos! Mess!

So true. Unless you're making big money for a label, you're not going to get any money unless you're hot for them. Look at Tinashe, she recently called a spade a spade and outted her label for basically giving her budget to Zayn. So if labels are struggling like that, then it doesn't make sense for an independent artist to spend money on something that won't make money especially when they have more to lose, since it's their own money, even if it is a legend like Janet.

We all did.......and we all should....NO LIE, I remember popped up on my quiet storm playlist and I got my life, got me like "I remember when you came out, I remember when you made some good muisic, but now we don't remember none of it, and yo career is sad and sloppy"

And not a single lie, and GREAT example with Tinashe

• Upvote 2

Since when did an artist have to pay to sit on a couch or in front of a camera a answer questions? Let me know. How much do whoppie and them charge celebs to talk to them. 

1. No source needed the video "coming soon" has not come that would mean it is shelved 

2. She never explained the movement. Just like you said you don't believe she's Muslim because she hasn't said so. She hasn't said what the movement is

3. Top client? Hmm you don't know what BMG will do we haven't heard from them since last year 

4. A lot of people care about I heart and she should too.  The top artist still play their live shows. It wouldn't hurt with Janet getting zero radio play 

5. Your whole list is unrealistic. First you say she's to broke to make videos now you say she doesnt have to your for money 

1a) Promo tour (doing interviews) are to promote a project to the general public. Janet didn't need to do that with a project dedicated to the fans. So there's no need to sit on a couch

1b) False.. He said soon.. Not when you want it

2) she doesn't have to explain it. That doesn't mean you should assume

3) Why would we need to hear from BMG? What more do they need to say about Unbreakable? "Uhhh yeah Unbreakable is still our best selling album to date" 

4) No one cares or remember 

5) I never called her broke but I don't need her wasting money on a music video like you people. She toured for us.. She released new music for us

us = her fans

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We all did.......and we all should....NO LIE, I remember popped up on my quiet storm playlist and I got my life, got me like "I remember when you came out, I remember when you made some good muisic, but now we don't remember none of it, and yo career is sad and sloppy"
And not a single lie, and GREAT example with Tinashe

Keyshia was hot back in 2005/2006.. To the point where i was sick of her music.. But now she has nothing to offer 

Trashe's label made a smart move. Zayn's going to bring in the real money as oppose to Trashe who can't sell an album to save her young career :/ 

• Downvote 1

Keyshia was hot back in 2005/2006.. To the point where i was sick of her music.. But now she has nothing to offer 

Trashe's label made a smart move. Zayn's going to bring in the real money as oppose to Trashe who can't sell an album to save her young career :/ 

RIGHT, that's the damndest thing, she was ON FIRE, hit after hit after hit, solo, features, soundtracks, the chick came out and really was everywhere and in everything, then....3rd album shat....and the rest that followed did too (Women to women was good from what I remember), and then that last 1....when you do videos for every single song on a shitty album, but very cheaply....it don't make that album better...

LOL BOYY, I like her, I wanna love her, but the music don't REALLY do it for me, I haven't given her a FULL chance that I've been meaning to, but she hasn't done anything that's made me want to honestly, but her dancing is great.

oh shit I forgot about Keyshia :lmao:! I lost track of her videos! Mess!

so this era wasn't for the fans then

• Downvote 2

Pick a line of reasoning and stick to it lol

"Doesnt make sense to have more than one video because of profits!" (which is a lie considering it would be the only promo)

"For the Fans." Despite most fans being displeased

Can't have both

Edited by J.
  • Downvote 2

Pick a line of reasoning and stick to it lol

"Doesnt make sense to have more than one video because of profits!" (which is a lie considering it would be the only promo)

"For the Fans." Despite most fans being displeased

Can't have both

Zero fans are displeased with the album if they understand the difference between a signed artist and and independent artist. With no surprise, certain fans are somehow bewildered on why she didn't do a promo tour... She didn't need to apparently and is the only artist of her generation who could do it 

Promo isn't necessary for an album made for fans.

An album with one video for NS sold the project. Janet dropped one video and showed up at some shot award show and still topped Billboard... Add a second video and nothing would actually happen 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It's clearly not cheap if no one is doing it :lmao:. Most artists would be lucky to make a million for their label yet alone 3 million. Janet, with no major label, knew she wasn't going to sell albums like hot cakes hence why she didn't bother spending the money or her time and focused on the tour. 

For the record, Beyoncé's album generated $13million in her first week which would have recouped a basic estimate of $3million video costs without touring (which is most likely a way off estimate anyway). Not many people can say that.

Most artists would be lucky to make a million for their label yet alone 3 million? What you talking about? Sell 100,000 albums and there's a million for your label. Plenty are doing it. You got it confused anyway cause we're talking about the cost of videos not how much an artist can make for their label. Beyonce had 15 videos for each song and it only costed $3 million. THAT IS VERY CHEAP TO MAKE 15 VIDEOS. I don't see what y'all don't understand about that :lol:

:asham:. It's no wonder all these acts keep getting dropped. How many videos did Ciara make for the last few albums? Did it do her any good? Not at all. So what's the point? 

I really hate that I bought Beyoncé up because it's going to seem like I'm just stanning for her when I'm trying not to :asham:.

You just contradicted yourself. You said it's not cheap if no one is doing it but you just brought up Ciara doing multiple videos for her last few albums. VIDEOS are cheap to make especially if Ciara can make multiple lol. Also even if no one is doing it (even tho they are) it doesn't mean they aren't because of the cost.

Thank you! I'm not here for their lame excuses of them trying to make videos seem expensive when they know they're way cheaper to make these days. The fuckery they come up with for Janet is just pathetic lol. Since when has she not been able to afford making a low budget video. Make Me wasn't expensive either. Now they comparing Janet to some damn Ciara Mist and Keyshia Coleslaw.

Edited by JoeJoe

The girls are coming for Janet and for once i dont feel the need to defend her. This tour debacle was handled poorly and if it wasnt for the masterpiece that is Unbreakable, i to would feel the need to throw necessary shade. Janet do better!

if y'all think what is said on here is bad....:lol:

Most artists would be lucky to make a million for their label yet alone 3 million? What you talking about? Sell 100,000 albums and there's a million for your label. Plenty are doing it. You got it confused anyway cause we're talking about the cost of videos not how much an artist can make for their label. Beyonce had 15 videos for each song and it only costed $3 million. THAT IS VERY CHEAP TO MAKE 15 VIDEOS. I don't see what y'all don't understand about that :lol:

You just contradicted yourself. You said it's not cheap if no one is doing it but you just brought up Ciara doing multiple videos for her last few albums. VIDEOS are cheap to make especially if Ciara can make multiple lol. Also even if no one is doing it (even tho they are) it doesn't mean they aren't because of the cost.

Thank you! I'm not here for their lame excuses of them trying to make videos seem expensive when they know they're way cheaper to make these days. The fuckery they come up with for Janet is just pathetic lol. Since when has she not been able to afford making a low budget video. Make Me wasn't expensive either. Now they comparing Janet to some damn Ciara Mist and Keyshia Coleslaw.

You missed the point me and Jarryl were making - that making so many videos only works if you actually have some star power. C-Error made all those videos, flopped and got dropped. So all that money was wasted. Keyshia Coleslaw made all those videos and I don't even know what her label situation is whether she got dropped or not but she obviously flopped. Janet could do it and she'd probably see some decent results but it'd be a waste of money if it only helps sell a few hundred more copies, especially now that she has no tour to promote. 

The cost of a video and how much an artist makes are related. 

No one is comparing Ciara and Keyshia to Janet - we'd be dumb to. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah her first 2 albums were everything. The 3rd was cute. After that each album just seems rushed with no passion or desire. 

I think Zayn's album is underperforming. It had a massive drop 2nd week. There's plans for a tour but he's shy as fuck so I don't know if he'll bode well.

RIGHT, that's the damndest thing, she was ON FIRE, hit after hit after hit, solo, features, soundtracks, the chick came out and really was everywhere and in everything, then....3rd album shat....and the rest that followed did too (Women to women was good from what I remember), and then that last 1....when you do videos for every single song on a shitty album, but very cheaply....it don't make that album better...
LOL BOYY, I like her, I wanna love her, but the music don't REALLY do it for me, I haven't given her a FULL chance that I've been meaning to, but she hasn't done anything that's made me want to honestly, but her dancing is great.

All this tea! Woman to Woman wasn't too bad. I remember liking the first half and then switching off for the 2nd. 

Tinashe's mixtapes are better than that album. But I love 2 On minus the rap and Watch Me Work slays. But the music for the 2nd album has not been that cute.

I think Zayn's album is underperforming. It had a massive drop 2nd week. There's plans for a tour but he's shy as fuck so I don't know if he'll bode well.

Who is he touring with bc he can't tour alone? 

He sold 157k in the US and 22k in the UK.. Impressive and a good start but I don't think he can tour by himself

• Downvote 1