True You Book Club

Greg/Dean

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well :) what can I say about the book. It had some personal stories I never heard of. That I truly enjoyed. But the rest of her lecturing us just didn't seem to go anywhere and lacked personality to be honest :unsure:. Her style of writing is too perfect and thought out or something. A bit like a robot. And the ton on letters from others were a bit annoying. Just when I was getting a bit into it it ended so abruptly :unsure: especially that last Janet chapter. Seems to be written in 30 minutes or something. To sum it up, Janet was feeling "fat". She was told she's "fat" all the time, did some crazy diets. But now she's like the true you is okay bla bla. The typical story I've heard all my life? I'm gonna re-read her unauthorized biographies again. They are awsum. I love you Janet but this book :ph34r: I don't understand how it took so long. Even RuPaul's book is more inspiring. I swear. I will re-read the book again when I'm in a better mood perhaps.

well :) what can I say about the book. It had some personal stories I never heard of. That I truly enjoyed. But the rest of her lecturing us just didn't seem to go anywhere and lacked personality to be honest :unsure:. Her style of writing is too perfect and thought out or something. A bit like a robot. And the ton on letters from others were a bit annoying. Just when I was getting a bit into it it ended so abruptly :unsure: especially that last Janet chapter. Seems to be written in 30 minutes or something. To sum it up, Janet was feeling "fat". She was told she's "fat" all the time, did some crazy diets. But now she's like the true you is okay bla bla. The typical story I've heard all my life? I'm gonna re-read her unauthorized biographies again. They are awsum. I love you Janet but this book :ph34r: I don't understand how it took so long. Even RuPaul's book is more inspiring. I swear. I will re-read the book again when I'm in a better mood perhaps.

u must not of read the same book the rest of us have been reading

plenty of fans have reached out to JANET saying the book is thier story even some of the ones iv'e met in person plus i can also relate to a few things

That is wonderful. It really is. I'm writing for myself not for others. I also battled with weight alot. But I have far more serious issues to deal with. Like disease and disabilities. I'm stuck inside a room 24/7 so :) ... Myself I do think some of the issues in this book are a bit blown out of proportion. The things she writes about are things I always already knew in my heart. Thats what kept me alive. So it wasnt anything new for me to read. I didnt learn anything new from it. It just hardly addresses anything else besides being called fat and how to be the true you and just accept it or something. I dunno. it just feels so unpersonal in the style it's written. It doesnt really address any topics much. Just a bit of talking around those letters and some "anecdotes" from her life. I read celebrity books all the time. Even Teri hatcher or like i said RuPaul have more inspiring books. When I read this book I felt like its a bit funny compared to real issues. All this book concludes is that Janet wasn't fat at all and she let herself be affected by it. And now shes the true you bla bla. Thats great and if it helps others.. wonderful. But I wont need this book in my life. After al Im just a fan because of the MUSIC baby. Go read Quantum Wellness is you really want a LIFE CHANGING inspiring book.

the book is not an autobiography so it's not gonna get into detail and besides being called fat it dealt with her relationships with her father and with her first husband. im gonna finish reading it lol

Achii, not everyone is as blessed to be able to conquer the demons she mentions. Kudos to you but there's no need to go in on her, that's pretty moot.

the book is not an autobiography so it's not gonna get into detail and besides being called fat it dealt with her relationships with her father and with her first husband. im gonna finish reading it lol

I got through three quarters of it right after I first got it then got super busy. I finished it a few days after I saw the tour; it's very simple and very eloquent. Definitely worth reading/finishing. And there actually are quite a few anecdotes (71.gif) we didn't know. Nothing juicy, but good to know.

Achii, not everyone is as blessed to be able to conquer the demons she mentions. Kudos to you but there's no need to go in on her, that's pretty moot.

I got through three quarters of it right after I first got it then got super busy. I finished it a few days after I saw the tour; it's very simple and very eloquent. Definitely worth reading/finishing. And there actually are quite a few anecdotes (71.gif) we didn't know. Nothing juicy, but good to know.

+1 :excited:

• 2 months later...

The book pissed me off a little bit. As I was reading it, I just pictured Janet standing next to hopeless fatties and other insecure random people (ala the "Nothing" video) giving their own stories while she touch their shoulders and recite the words "True You" as many times as she can.

The oatmeal pancakes were the shit though! Dem bitches will fill u up real quick! :lol:

• 1 month later...

There's some stupid people in my town... I went to the library today and picked up the book - nobody else has checked it out since it came in a month ago, only me :lol::umm: These foos don't know what they're missing :filenails:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went through depression and low self-esteem, so once the book got into my hands, it took me three days to read it. Janet's story wasn't the only one I could relate to, but many of the stories from her friends and fans really struck a nerve with me. I must read it again and try some of those recipes, as I'm a vegetarian. :)

Archived