Ok Let's Talk About Race Here...

Bailey

...I have a black male collee professor kinda heavy set looks like Professor Klump, well anywho I always answer questions right and my presence is always known, well I have submitted 2 papers now, each worth 10 points a piece, some people bullshitted and got perfect 10's on their papers, my first paper was shorter than it should have been 2 1/2 pages should have been 3, so he gave me a 7, next paper I said im working hard to make it right, so I get it back today and it's an 8 that paper was over 5 pages plus long and well written. So what am I saying here? Is it possible for a black professor to be harder on another black student esp if that student comes off as smart? Its like he is making me work harder than everybody else, so the only way for me to win is to do well on the multiple choice tests, see essays and papers are subjective, you can say well I thought it deserved an 8, BUT you can't argue multiple choice either it was right or it was wrong. I want to know what to do about this dude, I have never had a black professor I think ive had white professors love the ground I walk on this nigga make my class hard.

...I have a black male collee professor kinda heavy set looks like Professor Klump, well anywho I always answer questions right and my presence is always known, well I have submitted 2 papers now, each worth 10 points a piece, some people bullshitted and got perfect 10's on their papers, my first paper was shorter than it should have been 2 1/2 pages should have been 3, so he gave me a 7, next paper I said im working hard to make it right, so I get it back today and it's an 8 that paper was over 5 pages plus long and well written. So what am I saying here? Is it possible for a black professor to be harder on another black student esp if that student comes off as smart? Its like he is making me work harder than everybody else, so the only way for me to win is to do well on the multiple choice tests, see essays and papers are subjective, you can say well I thought it deserved an 8, BUT you can't argue multiple choice either it was right or it was wrong. I want to know what to do about this dude, I have never had a black professor I think ive had white professors love the ground I walk on this nigga make my class hard.

but maybe your paper really didn't deserve full points??? i've had professors of different races tell me that they expect certain things of me, sometimes it results in grading me harder than another student...that happens all the time...some students can get by simply by showing effort, others have to really deliver great work every single time...i've found this to be true about professors, period...could he be grading you harder than others, yes, however, that doesn't necessarily mean he's doing it because you are black

but maybe your paper really didn't deserve full points??? i've had professors of different races tell me that they expect certain things of me, sometimes it results in grading me harder than another student...that happens all the time...some students can get by simply by showing effort, other have to really deliver great work every single time...i've found this to be true about professors, period...could he be grading you harder than others, yes, however, that doesn't necessarily mean he's doing it because you are black

ok so let's suppose that he is, why? and where is the justice in that? Other students bullshit a paper get full credit, I work my ass off get 8 out of 10, and its all good? Gurl you betta speak on this cause I was so mad when I got my paper back I slammed my hand on the table and walked the fuck out I came back in but he pissed me off I scared the shit outta the white girl next to me

Some professors just like to be difficult. They're human, and may show preference to some people for a variety of reasons.

Have you talked to him about your concerns? I mean, not the racial aspect, but just sit and talk and say "I'm trying really hard in your class, and I don't really understand why I'm getting these results, can you tell me how I can improve?"

I don't really think its a race thing... Black people have to work harder anyway perhaps he just preparing you for the real world.

In college I had a couple of hard professors white and black... It sucked but I had to suck it up and just do the work to the best of my ability. I feel like middle school & high school prepare you for this type of stuff...

Like in catholic school I had a teacher named mr stokes... a tall black man that looked like steve harvey... He was really hard on me but it was because he seen something in me he knew I could take it... at first he thought I was a class clown because I farted really loud during a math test... I thought it was going to be a silent one :unsure:

Highschool I had mrs martin a black woman she was hard on me too but it was because she really liked me...

I say step up to the challenge and don't cry about it.

Some professors just like to be difficult. They're human, and may show preference to some people for a variety of reasons.

Have you talked to him about your concerns? I mean, not the racial aspect, but just sit and talk and say "I'm trying really hard in your class, and I don't really understand why I'm getting these results, can you tell me how I can improve?"

I approached him today after class and he was like whats done is done and said "im sorry Johnie" I walked away and said "im sorry too" sometimes in life you just realize what time it is, for me to get my A im going to have to make it impossible for anything else to come my way, papers are subjective exams are not, they are multiple choice either its the right answer or not

I don't really think its a race thing... Black people have to work harder anyway perhaps he just preparing you for the real world.

In college I had a couple of hard professors white and black... It sucked but I had to suck it up and just do the work to the best of my ability. I feel like middle school & high school prepare you for this type of stuff...

Like in catholic school I had a teacher named mr stokes... a tall black man that looked like steve harvey... He was really hard on me but it was because he seen something in me he knew I could take it... at first he thought I was a class clown because I farted really loud during a math test... I thought it was going to be a silent one :unsure:

Highschool I had mrs martin a black woman she was hard on me too but it was because she really liked me...

I say step up to the challenge and don't cry about it.

that was my other theory, but if that is true wouldnt he want the best of all the black students? u know what I learned humor is a good therapy thats why im watching Madea now, I had a black girl in the class ask me if I was ok and she gave me a hug she said well at least you did the paper because she didnt

noooooooo not at all, my paper was on the same paper a white girl I know who had him before me she got a 10 I get 8

just talk to him about it. I would've asked him why she got higher than I did. Maybe her paper was more informative or something

ok so let's suppose that he is, why? and where is the justice in that? Other students bullshit a paper get full credit, I work my ass off get 8 out of 10, and its all good? Gurl you betta speak on this cause I was so mad when I got my paper back I slammed my hand on the table and walked the fuck out I came back in but he pissed me off I scared the shit outta the white girl next to me

i'm not saying it's ok, but it's happens and you as the student need to deal with it...it never bothered me cuz I just took the shit as a challenge...that's just how some professors are...some people get graded harder than others...if it bothers you that much, sit down and have a real conversation with him about it

i'm not saying it's ok, but it's happens and you as the student need to deal with it...it never bothered me cuz I just took the shit as a challenge...that's just how some professors are...some people get graded harder than others...if it bothers you that much, sit down and have a real conversation with him about it

your right on the first part, but after my reaction slamming my hand on the desk that damn hard and attempting to talk to him after, its beyond that now, I have to rise to the challenge, but I suppose you answered the question tho, yes some students are graded in the same class on the same shit differently

that was my other theory, but if that is true wouldnt he want the best of all the black students? u know what I learned humor is a good therapy thats why im watching Madea now, I had a black girl in the class ask me if I was ok and she gave me a hug she said well at least you did the paper because she didnt

Maybe its just my personality but I refuse to be denied.... if someone like a professor or client acts like that I take it as a challenge to do better and show them truly what I am capable of... hes actually doing you a favor perhaps you will prepare more and put even more thought into ur work... even if its 100% make it 150% being a black man in this society you can't afford to do just as good as everyone else you have to exceed them it isn't fair but thats life...

Maybe its just my personality but I refuse to be denied.... if someone like a professor or client acts like that I take it as a challenge to do better and show them truly what I am capable of... hes actually doing you a favor perhaps you will prepare more and put even more thought into ur work... even if its 100% make it 150% being a black man in this society you can't afford to do just as good as everyone else you have to exceed them it isn't fair but thats life...

and that ends this thread because that's where am at, I had a quiz today I missed one question 96% I aint playing :filenails:

Exactly what he should do imo. You really shouldnt jump to the race card immediately because there could be any number of reasons he may be harder on you. While none of them may be good enough reasons, assuming race thing right off the bat without talking to him is just needlessly frustrating yourself.

If when you talk to him he comes up with some racial excuse, then sure you have a gripe but until then...

Exactly what he should do imo. You really shouldnt jump to the race card immediately because there could be any number of reasons he may be harder on you. While none of them may be good enough reasons, assuming race thing right off the bat without talking to him is just needlessly frustrating yourself.

If when you talk to him he comes up with some racial excuse, then sure you have a gripe but until then...

I dont want to talk to him we have all of 2 weeks of class left, Im working on my studying so I can get my A and leave him a nasty review when we do reviews

Are you sure the white profs. haven't been letting you slide. Not saying they have been for sure, but why assume the black professor is the villain?

Ok so I ran the scenario with my Auntie Karen, she real people smart and so she broke the whole thing down for me, she said for one no one likes a smart guy, and if im sitting in class answering questions right all the time and showing that I have brains in a way im swagger jacking the professor. I never considered that but my aunt told me niggas are haters, and sometimes we want to be the only one to shine, and if im in his class there is room for only one smart black guy, and that aint me. So in order to play the game I have to basically shut up and do thangs his way. If I drop the ball on anything he will hold me to it which is bascially how its gone down. My thought and position was that I thought a black professor who sees white kids doing tha damn thang all the time would be refreshed to have a smart black student in his class, instead im basically have been informed he is a hater and im a swagger jacker :unsure:

Ok so I ran the scenario with my Auntie Karen, she real people smart and so she broke the whole thing down for me, she said for one no one likes a smart guy, and if im sitting in class answering questions right all the time and showing that I have brains in a way im swagger jacking the professor. I never considered that but my aunt told me niggas are haters, and sometimes we want to be the only one to shine, and if im in his class there is room for only one smart black guy, and that aint me. So in order to play the game I have to basically shut up and do thangs his way. If I drop the ball on anything he will hold me to it which is bascially how its gone down. My thought and position was that I thought a black professor who sees white kids doing tha damn thang all the time would be refreshed to have a smart black student in his class, instead im basically have been informed he is a hater and im a swagger jacker :unsure:

Ha my old math teacher used to hate me because I always used to correct him when he made mistakes while teaching us. I think you should go to your teacher and ask for an explanation.. maybe he can tell you ways to improve on your next paper.

Archived