LA Reid to be judge on "X Factor"

Bailey

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Her career didn't change at all UNTIL the Damito Jo era....and why are you giving him credit for the AFY project? :blink:

Madonna did NOT face a complete blacklisting in the industry / almost every available outlet REFUSING to play her output even ONCE. There is a BIG difference between MTV banning one or two of Madonna's videos (which ultimately benefited BOTH MTV and Madonna in terms PR coverage) and what Janet went through.... MTV and Pop radio wouldn't even acknowledge that Janet Jackson or anything associated with her existed! That's how bad it was...and that's TOTALLY different from Madonna's situation in the 90's.

...and Janet did try to exert some control/input on the project. She went against LA Reid's wishes for RWU to be the 2nd single from Disicipline. She wanted Luv. They had a falling out over that (and probably other things), but ultimately Janet did what the label wanted and they STILL cut promotion on the project. As you can see LA basically fucked Janet over (after claiming he would stick with Janet and the project for the "long haul")

Didn't madonna get alot of shit over that sex book she had out? She had her shit too to the point of mariah and janet shading her something serious. Mariah "when madonna used to be relevant" that says to me during that time period madonna wasn't exactly on her game to have your peers diss you like that. Janet followed a template that her ex gave her I still believe that but she wasn't prepare for a superbowl type issue since before that time Janet was pretty much drama free when it came to scandals.

Janet tried to do the power play too late in the game... which brings me back to the whole passive aggressive shit that isn't good for your brand. You can't have someone write pick producers and come up with the concept and then try to be like no I want this single instead... Since he controlled the whole project he probably looked at her like ok what the fuck are you doing since I produced the album and put it together what gives you the right to come in late and make changes of my direction for you since you gave me control from the start... You become apart of the process from the start not after its done.

I forgot where I read it, I already said that, but obviously (if what I read is true), Janet did what her team and her former label (Virgin) didn't do. Which is finally heal the working relationship between her and MTV. Which was a big boost to Discipline initially.

I probably was one of the people saying that the only good thing that came out the Discipline era was Janet's relationship with MTV being healed. lol I wanna say it was just a year or two ago when I read this bit of information. Which means the Discipline era (as short as it was) was long over by that point.

2wlvfr7.gif

You're basically insisting that Janet single handedly mended her relationship with MTV without the help of Island Def Jam. :lmao:

Her career didn't change at all UNTIL the Damito Jo era....and why are you giving him credit for the AFY project? :blink:

Madonna did NOT face a complete blacklisting in the industry / almost every available outlet REFUSING to play her output even ONCE. There is a BIG difference between MTV banning one or two of Madonna's videos (which ultimately benefited BOTH MTV and Madonna in terms PR coverage) and what Janet went through.... MTV and Pop radio wouldn't even acknowledge that Janet Jackson or anything associated with her existed! That's how bad it was...and that's TOTALLY different from Madonna's situation in the 90's.

...and Janet did try to exert some control/input on the project. She went against LA Reid's wishes for RWU to be the 2nd single from Disicipline. She wanted Luv. They had a falling out over that (and probably other things), but ultimately Janet did what the label wanted and they STILL cut promotion on the project. As you can see LA basically fucked Janet over (after claiming he would stick with Janet and the project for the "long haul")

^^ this +1 forgot muh wand :filenails:

Artistically, It nose-dived. Success wise - It didn't. Janet was basically going by iconic status once AFY was released.

Where did you read that it was Janet and her team that mended their relationship? :wacko: If it was Janet and her team why couldn't they mend their relationship from 2004 - 2006? Why was it when she signed with IDJ and released Discipline that MTV finally started promoting her and allowing her on their shows? If I do recall correctly IDJ is the record label that has a department fully responsible for any PR coverage on Janet and the album. I also remember fans whining about the only good thing that came out of the Discipline era was that LA Reid helped mend the relationship between Janet and MTV.

I dont know the background I do know Janet and Gil went to MTV I dont recall hearing shit about no LA Reid :filenails:

I dont know the background I do know Janet and Gil went to MTV I dont recall hearing shit about no LA Reid :filenails:

For what? You guys keep saying Janet went to MTV. Why not elaborate? Besides I find it hard to believe that MTV would mend their relationship with Janet without the support of a label. Let's not be delayed. The Janet of 2008 wasn't being seen in the same light as the Janet 7 years prior.

Didn't madonna get alot of shit over that sex book she had out? She had her shit too to the point of mariah and janet shading her something serious. Mariah "when madonna used to be relevant" that says to me during that time period madonna wasn't exactly on her game to have your peers diss you like that.

Yes, there was controversy surrounding the Sex book and that era, but...

Was radio still playing Madonna? Was MTV still supporting her? Was she blacklisted from both outlets? Again, there is a BIG difference between what Madonna went through and what Janet has gone through...

Let me give you an example:

MTV on Madonna (circa her "sex" period): We can't air this smut! It's banned from regular rotation! We'll play it after Midnight - Results: MAJOR PR for MTV (as they had never banned a video before) and now you have people waiting up to Midnight to see this "controversial" video EVERYONE is talking about

Madonna on the MTV situation: You can't do that to me...I'll put this "banned video" out on VHS! - Result: People are even more curious to see this "controversial" video that EVERYONE is talking about and MTV made a big deal about and banned

Do you see how this benefited BOTH MTV and Madonna?

Now Janet's situation:

MTV - We don't know that bitch! :coffee:

Pop radio - Who? :coffee:

Do now you see how these situations differed? Janet couldn't just go out there and assert herself as an artist because the very outlets that supported her wouldn't even acknowledge she existed anymore!

Janet followed a template that her ex gave her I still believe that but she wasn't prepare for a superbowl type issue since before that time Janet was pretty much drama free when it came to scandals.

So basically you're saying Janet's ex husband created Janet Jackson? Really? I mean, seriously... :mellow:

Janet tried to do the power play too late in the game... which brings me back to the whole passive aggressive shit that isn't good for your brand. You can't have someone write pick producers and come up with the concept and then try to be like no I want this single instead... Since he controlled the whole project he probably looked at her like ok what the fuck are you doing since I produced the album and put it together what gives you the right to come in late and make changes of my direction for you since you gave me control from the start... You become apart of the process from the start not after its done.

The fact that she asserted herself is NOT the issue. The issue is that IDJ cut promotion on the project after only two singles...even when Janet went against her desires and did what the label wanted anyway. The whole situation was fucked up, but as I said, when you're dealing with scenario such as what Janet dealt with, you make certain decisions.

yeah ... after LA cleaned up the mess that was left by virgin. They were there to talk about the commercials that she ended up doing . LA was only good for that nothing else.

Why is this an issue again ? i thought that everybody knew this by now

2wlvfr7.gif

You're basically insisting that Janet single handedly mended her relationship with MTV without the help of Island Def Jam. :lmao:

Yes... :yep:

As I said, I ALSO ASSumed it was LA and IDJ that mended that relationship, but later read something different.

Artistically, It nose-dived. Success wise - It didn't. Janet was basically going by iconic status once AFY was released.

That's a matter of opinion. It wasn't the "deep, introspective" Velvet Rope, but it was good pop/R&B music. Which Janet is known for, and at that time, was what Janet was competing with.

Maybe it was Gil that revealed this information. Like I said, I forgot where I read it, but I do remember reading it.

Yes... :yep:

As I said, I ALSO ASSumed it was LA and IDJ that mended that relationship, but later read something different.

You're also ASSuming that it was Janet that single handedly mended the relationship (That doesn't even make any sense). It's obvious you're unaware of how record labels operate. LA Reid and IDJ were the ones that helped mend the relationship, not Janet.

That's a matter of opinion. It wasn't the "deep, introspective" Velvet Rope, but it was good pop/R&B music. Which Janet is known for, and at that time, was what Janet was competing with.

It's not about what Janet was competing at the time. In the past, Janet didn't make music to be competitive or to out do other artists. Musically - she always wanted to stand out. AFY has it's good moments but it was a nose dive from her previous work.

yeah ... after LA cleaned up the mess that was left by virgin. They were there to talk about the commercials that she ended up doing . LA was only good for that nothing else.

Why is this an issue again ? i thought that everybody knew this by now

Exactly.

For what? You guys keep saying Janet went to MTV. Why not elaborate? Besides I find it hard to believe that MTV would mend their relationship with Janet without the support of a label. Let's not be delayed. The Janet of 2008 wasn't being seen in the same light as the Janet 7 years prior.

here is my theory and it works in a few cases, at one time MTV felt they did not need Janet, and maybe did not, now MTV is not what it was, so it's easy to get back on, secondly Janet I remember was showing us pics of "guess where I am" and talking about being in the elevator with Gil. She faced that herself. Janet's AI appearance, the show had basically fell off, Simon swore up and down Janet wouldn't be on the show, but in the business thangs change and yes Janet did AI

and it was clear here folks with MTV it was all about humbling her to come to them no matter what the labels or LA could have done had Janet said no they fucked me over it would not have happen so in the end it was Janet because she made that choice :filenails: the label and Reid could suggest anything doesn't mean she has to go along, same thing with second single off "Discipline" saw how fast that fell apart, because JANET was not feeling that decision. She really is in CONTROL!

and it was clear here folks with MTV it was all about humbling her to come to them no matter what the labels or LA could have done had Janet said no they fucked me over it would not have happen so in the end it was Janet because she made that choice :filenails: the label and Reid could suggest anything doesn't mean she has to go along, same thing with second single off "Discipline" saw how fast that fell apart, because JANET was not feeling that decision. She really is in CONTROL!

Same thing can be said about MTV, Janet and her team could have been trying to connect them and have meetings with them to clean it all up and they could been giving her the middle finger . Works both ways.

Whatever LA did to put her there worked and it's a good thing.LA wasn't 100% bad just 99

And yeah Janet gained control after the second single drama . She now seems to be in control

here is my theory and it works in a few cases, at one time MTV felt they did not need Janet, and maybe did not, now MTV is not what it was, so it's easy to get back on, secondly Janet I remember was showing us pics of "guess where I am" and talking about being in the elevator with Gil. She faced that herself. Janet's AI appearance, the show had basically fell off, Simon swore up and down Janet wouldn't be on the show, but in the business thangs change and yes Janet did AI

Faced what herself? Did you ever think that she was sent there under her labels orders? Why in the world would Janet all of a sudden pick up the courage to go to MTV in 2007 and reconcile? What makes you think MTV would even listen to her? Again, the Janet of '07/'08 didn't have the industry power that the Janet of '01 had. MTV covered all their windows so their guests and viewers wouldn't see the 20 Y.O. posters and all the promo going on across the street at the Virgin megastore! Seriously. That's how ruthless they were prior to LA and IDJ mending their relationship.

Simon most likely swore up and down during the time nobody gave a fuck about her ('05 - '08) but you know with the sudden death of Michael Jackson that many doors re-opened for Janet. I know it's a hard pill to swallow but it's the truth.

You're also ASSuming that it was Janet that single handedly mended the relationship (That doesn't even make any sense). It's obvious you're unaware of how record labels operate. LA Reid and IDJ were the ones that helped mend the relationship, not Janet.

I'm not ASSuming, I told you what I read...which you don't believe. There's a difference. :coffee:

I don't need the patronizing BS... :rolleyes: I know how a label operates.

Why didn't Virgin do the damn job before Janet or IDJ (or whoever) finally did the job?

2ljl1lg.jpg

Exactly...

They didn't, so why is it such a stretch to believe that Janet FINALLY did what her label(s) wouldn't do. Fix/mend the issue...

It's not about what Janet was competing at the time. In the past, Janet didn't make music to be competitive or to out do other artists. Musically - she always wanted to stand out. AFY has it's good moments but it was a nose dive from her previous work.

:mellow:

Janet Jackson is a commercial artist... She's competitive with everyone and with the industry as it is at that particular moment.

That's ALWAYS been the case.

Again, whether you like the music or her creative direction is just opinion.

That's not even the point though, Xternal is trying to say Janet basically tried to continue what Rene had created for her. :blink: I like Xternal, and there is no shade, but....I Can't! :wtf:

Faced what herself? Did you ever think that she was sent there under her labels orders? Why in the world would Janet all of a sudden pick up the courage to go to MTV in 2007 and reconcile? What makes you think MTV would even listen to her? Again, the Janet of '07/'08 didn't have the industry power that the Janet of '01 had. MTV covered all their windows so their guests and viewers wouldn't see the 20 Y.O. posters and all the promo going on across the street at the Virgin megastore! Seriously. That's how ruthless they were prior to LA and IDJ mending their relationship.

Simon most likely swore up and down during the time nobody gave a fuck about her ('05 - '08) but you know with the sudden death of Michael Jackson that many doors re-opened for Janet. I know it's a hard pill to swallow but it's the truth.

Exaclty.

LA and IDJ made it happen and Janet agreed. Janet was going with LA's wishes until a month after the album was released. Tbqh, she tried to gain control a little too late. Like someone else said - You become a part of the process from the start not after its done.

Thank you!!!! :coffee:

Archived