OMG JANET'S SO COMING BACK BIG.

Twistedvelvet

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honey, Discipline never even went gold, let alone platinum.

I do think she's in a better place now than she's been in years though, in terms of potential. But it'll never be like back in the day.

A little birdy told me it sold just over 1 million globally, which I believe considering it sold the 450,000 in US alone.

Anyway, still opened ok considering everything that was happening at the time.

What exactly is back in the day, cause she had varies levels of success with each album, some critically, some commericially. I'm not expecting Rhythm Nation numbers or opening weeks of 650,000. But I am faithful she will have CONSISTANCY again, and success above what we have experienced since Damita Jo. That would be considered a comeback.

It's not just about commericial success anyway. Critical acclaim would also be considered a successful comeback in my book. But quite often that doesn't come if she doesn't hang in the Top 10 for more than 3 weeks lol.

A little birdy told me it sold just over 1 million globally, which I believe considering it sold the 450,000 in US alone.

What exactly is back in the day, cause she had varies levels of success with each album, some critically, some commericially. I'm not expecting Rhythm Nation numbers or opening weeks of 650,000. But I am faithful she will have CONSISTANCY again, and success above what we have experienced since Damita Jo. That would be considered a comeback.

It's not just about commericial success anyway. Critical acclaim would also be considered a successful comeback in my book. But quite often that doesn't come if she doesn't hang in the Top 10 for more than 3 weeks lol.

That wouldn't make it platinum, since certification varies from country to country. It'd have to sell 1 million in the US to make it platinum here.

I mean it'll never be like it was back in the day, as in 1986-2001, when pretty much everything she touched turned to gold (and I'm not talking about certifications :lol:).

That wouldn't make it platinum, since certification varies from country to country. It'd have to sell 1 million in the US to make it platinum here.

I mean it'll never be like it was back in the day, as in 1986-2001, when pretty much everything she touched turned to gold (and I'm not talking about certifications :lol:).

So how do u view all the success she's had since the number ones cd came out then?

I'd say everything she's touched so far has been turning to gold...movies, books, concerts....

We can't say for sure what will happen with the music when it finally comes).

Have u not considered her gold touch maybe back.

I've never witnessed anyone have this much success with no new material and on the back of a hits collection 3 YEARS old.

If she's doing this well now think what she could do with months of hype over a new album not yet released.

Trust me, as soon as Janet says she's in the studio and the rumours start flowing, the PR machine will be working hard to get Janet back on top musically.

So how do u view all the success she's had since the number ones cd came out then?

I'd say everything she's touched so far has been turning to gold...movies, books, concerts....

I've never witnessed anyone have this much success with no new material and on the back of a hits collection 3 YEARS old.

Tbh, you have to take her current success and put it in it's context. She's had some movies that did well at the box office, but received horrible reviews. The book did alright . . . it was a #1 best-seller on one of the smaller genre lists for the NY Times. The tour is going well, and certainly receiving rave reviews, but she smartly downsized the venues, which certainly makes it easier to have so many sell-outs!

As for the #1s CD - it didn't sell very well, and both "Make Me" and "Nothing" flopped hard.

I've said, though, that I think she's in a better place than she's been in for years, and the potential for success may be there (if she even wants it).

I've never witnessed anyone have this much success with no new material and on the back of a hits collection 1.5 YEARS old.

If she's doing this well now think what she could do with months of hype over a new album not yet released.

Trust me, as soon as Janet says she's in the studio and the rumours start flowing, the PR machine will be working hard to get Janet back on top musically.

Fixed

Tbh, you have to take her current success and put it in it's context. She's had some movies that did well at the box office, but received horrible reviews. The book did alright . . . it was a #1 best-seller on one of the smaller genre lists for the NY Times. The tour is going well, and certainly receiving rave reviews, but she smartly downsized the venues, which certainly makes it easier to have so many sell-outs!

As for the #1s CD - it didn't sell very well, and both "Make Me" and "Nothing" flopped hard.

I've said, though, that I think she's in a better place than she's been in for years, and the potential for success may be there (if she even wants it).

A couple of things:

1. WDIGMT and FCG got poor reviews, but those same reviews praised Janet's performance. They didn't like the story line/plot. Most of them panned Tyler, not the actual acting.

2. True You was #1 on its respective chart. As I read, literature is not like music. You don't know if a project is successful a few weeks out the gate. It takes about a year's time.

3. Downsizing does make it easier to sell out, but when you're selling out multiple dates that surpass the capacity of your last arena venues...

4. #1s, and any greatest hits compilations, are meant to sell over time. So there was no point in expecting it to do huge numbers. Also, MM and Nothing weren't released for them to even flop. A single needs a commercial product AND a radio add date before it can actually be called a single.

5. BeyRunThisWorldiTunes

A couple of things:

1. WDIGMT and FCG got poor reviews, but those same reviews praised Janet's performance. They didn't like the story line/plot. Most of them panned Tyler, not the actual acting.

2. True You was #1 on its respective chart. As I read, literature is not like music. You don't know if a project is successful a few weeks out the gate. It takes about a year's time.

3. Downsizing does make it easier to sell out, but when you're selling out multiple dates that surpass the capacity of your last arena venues...

4. #1s, and any greatest hits compilations, are meant to sell over time. So there was no point in expecting it to do huge numbers. Also, MM and Nothing weren't released for them to even flop. A single needs a commercial product AND a radio add date before it can actually be called a single.

5. BeyRunThisWorldiTunes

Let'em know. :coffee:

A couple of things:

5. BeyRunThisWorldiTunes

Yes, you make good points . . . my point is to just be measured in things. I would say things are going quite well for Janet right now, but I wouldn't go so far as saying to say everything she's touching is turning to gold . . . it's not like it used to be, which was my main point. (But that's understandable for a lot of reasons - I think some people just think they're going to wake up and it's going to be 1993 again :lol:).

As for #1s - I don't think it has sold particularly well over time, has it? Has it even been certified gold yet? MM and Nothing were released, and promoted - they were both put on iTunes and had videos and performances (though the timing was way off on a lot of that). I realize the radio aspect wasn't really there, but they still qualify as singles and had the ability to chart on the Hot 100 . . . but didn't.

And WTF @ #5? :lol: Bey's slip-sliding her way down the iTunes charts again.

Yes, you make good points . . . my point is to just be measured in things. I would say things are going quite well for Janet right now, but I wouldn't go so far as saying to say everything she's touching is turning to gold . . . it's not like it used to be, which was my main point. (But that's understandable for a lot of reasons - I think some people just think they're going to wake up and it's going to be 1993 again :lol:).

As for #1s - I don't think it has sold particularly well over time, has it? Has it even been certified gold yet? MM and Nothing were released, and promoted - they were both put on iTunes and had videos and performances (though the timing was way off on a lot of that). I realize the radio aspect wasn't really there, but they still qualify as singles and had the ability to chart on the Hot 100 . . . but didn't.

And WTF @ #5? :lol: Bey's slip-sliding her way down the iTunes charts again.

Well only a stan suffering from a severe case of psychosis would think Janet has the midas touch. :wacko::lol: She's definitely in a better place after her strategic moves in 2009 and 2010. And what is you pplz obsession with 1993? :sigh::rolleyes:

One of the problems with #1s, is that it was released in the midst of nothing. Janet wasn't doing anything when it was released. With DOAD she was at her peak. Similarly, Madonna released another greatest hits after Music. So there was something to piggy back off of to give it success. If Janet had released #1s now, it would probably do better, and actually pushed MM, it would be doing much better. As far as I know, #1s has scanned ~180k, 360k since it counts twice. It's selling decently on the R&B side, but it seems to pick up sales when Janet is actually promoting it. It went up and down on the pop albums chart on iTunes a few times in the past couple of months, obviously cuz of the tour.

And last time I checked Beyonce's song was at #6. :unsure:

Well only a stan suffering from a severe case of psychosis would think Janet has the midas touch. :wacko::lol: She's definitely in a better place after her strategic moves in 2009 and 2010. And what is you pplz obsession with 1993? :sigh::rolleyes:

One of the problems with #1s, is that it was released in the midst of nothing. Janet wasn't doing anything when it was released. With DOAD she was at her peak. Similarly, Madonna released another greatest hits after Music. So there was something to piggy back off of to give it success. If Janet had released #1s now, it would probably do better, and actually pushed MM, it would be doing much better. As far as I know, #1s has scanned ~180k, 360k since it counts twice. It's selling decently on the R&B side, but it seems to pick up sales when Janet is actually promoting it. It went up and down on the pop albums chart on iTunes a few times in the past couple of months, obviously cuz of the tour.

And last time I checked Beyonce's song was at #6. :unsure:

You know we have at least one of those around here. :lol:

1993 was amazing, Janet-wise. But I was just using it as an example - it's the era where my first real Janet memories happened. :blush:

Yeah, when #1s was released, it was all very random, since she was in the middle of movie-making mode at the time. I guess the record company thought it would do well because MJ had just died (because wasn't it initially just a record company thing that she decided to go along with later?). I'm glad we have the collection, though, she needed to release one like that.

Bey is at #8 now. She was at #5 for like a day, though.

You know we have at least one of those around here. :lol:

1993 was amazing, Janet-wise. But I was just using it as an example - it's the era where my first real Janet memories happened. :blush:

Yeah, when #1s was released, it was all very random, since she was in the middle of movie-making mode at the time. I guess the record company thought it would do well because MJ had just died (because wasn't it initially just a record company thing that she decided to go along with later?). I'm glad we have the collection, though, she needed to release one like that.

Bey is at #8 now. She was at #5 for like a day, though.

The RN1814 era was just pure bliss. 105.gif That's what we should be referencing when talking midas touch. <_<

#1s was just a publicity stunt. That's why it was released, to get Janet's name back in the public, along with the two movies. Janet and her team knew what they were doing. And I think I read that the greatest hits was to finish out Janet's contract with Virgin, but Universal bought it out or something like that.

Ugh, so high. :sigh: I was hoping for a slow creep up the charts. :(

At the end of the day, it's all about the present and how are people reacting to the tour...either she is a tired artist at the beginning of a series of farewell tours, or she is a relevant artist slaying on stage ready to make a comeback.

Public reaction suggests to me the latter.

Those not yet convinced are the ones who need hot new music from her. Everything else is in place.

The point is though, she never left. She's never been 'irrelevant'.

Damita Jo, 20 Y.O and Discipline all went plantinum on the back of like 1 single and well, you know the story....

That's not great but its not like they sold that on the back of huge promo, tonnes of hit singles and sell out tours (which as you reightly state doesn't have a connection with commericial success), which THEN would really indicate that 'nobody cares anymore about j'.

But they do (and there are people who will but just don't know it yet).

My point is, she's still got the POTENTIAL to come slaying!! She's not in a position where people will still ignore her if promo is good and the stuff is hot!

All her singles post SB have lauched well and been received well initially only to be HALTED on the issues related to the SB and record label disputes. That i believe is going going gone now so she is free to slay baby.

i never said she was irrelevant... never once said that in the entire decade...

Discipline did not go Platinum.. it went Gold... so you fail... the rest is subjective

Game was obviously talking about her commercial success in music, not starring in Tyler Perry movies. :rolleyes:

thank you

that birdy doesn't know what he or she is talking about

http://www.mjjcharts.com/JanetGlobalAlbums.htm

Archived