Will Katy Perry break Michael Jackson's record?

Miss Enjoi

Currently, Michael Jackson's "Bad" is the only album to have 5 #1 singles from one album. If Katy Perry gains another #1 - which could happen given "Last Friday Night" is currently topping the iTunes charts - she could indeed tie with Mike's record. It's quite possible that Katy Perry may indeed be the next Princess of Pop and top Gaga's reign in terms of singles.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the times are different and they don't compare, but I do enjoy Katy and those songs. But comparing artists now to the likes of MJ Madonna or Janet just is not working for me.

Anytime somebody in the game for just 3 years with two mainstream albums, no real performance skills, and low ass record sales under her belt can be a contender in the record books alongside the greatest entertainer of all time, something needs to change.

Anytime somebody in the game for just 3 years with two mainstream albums, no real performance skills, and low ass record sales under her belt can be a contender in the record books alongside the greatest entertainer of all time, something needs to change.

^^^this :clapping:

there are a few artists in the game now I would give them their cred cause they came up and did the damn thang Kanye, Beyonce even if I dont like some of her shit, but Katy Perry and even Lady GaGa aint EARNED all dat...not yet...maybe not ever tastes change quick..I thought Justin would be in that category but he only has two albums so he kinda aint shit

All this is true, however it doesn't take away from her songwriting skills, and her ability to craft great pop hooks. In my opinion, TGIF is one of the weakest tracks on that album, so it should not reach #1. The other 4 songs deserved their spots. The crazy thing is, if she releases "circle the drain" she could get a SIXTH number one song. That album still has singles. And it is selling well. She is having the kind of consistent sells that record labels want from an album. Her album is selling and her singles are selling. Everybody on her team is getting paid.

-_- I rejoiced in the days when chart topping, record breaking, award winning, and title ranking came not from popularity but hardwork and talent. When will these days come back? I pray they are not too forgone. :cry:

Agreed. Well, we're in the digital age now where artists can pick up multiple tracks quickly. It sucks.

I missed those days where we wait for a project, IE. janet. to The Velvet Rope and we waited for singles - nowadays, artists are on their 3rd/4th single before the album even comes out.

Not that Katy shouldn't get credit for her work. In the past, it was harder to achieve these records.

All this is true, however it doesn't take away from her songwriting skills, and her ability to craft great pop hooks. In my opinion, TGIF is one of the weakest tracks on that album, so it should not reach #1. The other 4 songs deserved their spots. The crazy thing is, if she releases "circle the drain" she could get a SIXTH number one song. That album still has singles. And it is selling well. She is having the kind of consistent sells that record labels want from an album. Her album is selling and her singles are selling. Everybody on her team is getting paid.

I love the fucking album I play it everyday ....it really is that good and I love TGIF sorry....

I think what it is now too is one artist can dominate because there really isn't enough spin or effort put into many artists so now its like only a few get on and when they do they get on goooooooddddd. Katy is one Lady GaGa was a year ago. And radio just spins the fuck outta them

agreed.

"Do you ever feel like a plastic bag"

"Boom, boom, boom

Even brighter than the moon, moon, moon"

those two gave a new meaning to my life :wub:

It's almost certain she will (well tie it at least).

I think the times are different and they don't compare, but I do enjoy Katy and those songs. But comparing artists now to the likes of MJ Madonna or Janet just is not working for me.

Completely agree.

Archived