The Mariah Carey thread

RedSimba

You need to listen to the album atleast 3 times and sit with it, if you really wanna appreciate it. There's a lot to take in. It's a true body of work, not a collection of singles.

There's a reason why this album was one of her most critically acclaimed before it was even released properly in most places.

My bitch is a true artist. :wub:

but I Iistened to it high on weed, you mean I should hear it sober too? :blink: oh honey I don't think it will get better with sobriety :filenails:
  • Upvote 1

Oh Im not giving her Beyonce level props, not for this....it lacks cohension which is distracting, and some of the tracks try too hard in the wrong direction for her...she aint in her lane on this, it doesn't feel like a personal album its so forced to be so many mediocre things....I reacted too fast, it's a mess overall she gets a C+....if I bother with the rest I might upgrade it to B-....but Im losing hope....Beyonce didn't take this long on her record to bring it, and the only reason I compare them is because Beyonce was the last female to move me and surprised me..I wanted that for Mariah but I aint wowed.... :yawn:

I totally agree.. The album isn't personal as it is just a bunch of tracks on one album.. It's very difficult to relate to and lyrically, it's a puzzle board.. That haven't been put together.

You need to listen to the album atleast 3 times and sit with it, if you really wanna appreciate it. There's a lot to take in. It's a true body of work, not a collection of singles.

There's a reason why this album was one of her most critically acclaimed before it was even released properly in most places.

My bitch is a true artist. :wub:

I did.. And it's as bland as mayonnaise

A true body of work? This isn't the 90s. This album is not better than any album in the prime of her career.. Excluding Glitter... Tho this may be worse than Glitter

I don't do drugs. :filenails: And what I'm saying is you need to listen to it more than once and take in all the different layers and emotions in the songs.

Don't lie.. You seem like a coffee drinker.. Which is a drug but I digress

Some music sounds better on marijuana than it does sober but MC isn't a "smoke and listen" kinda artist to begin with

I remember before I was a MC fan and I only knew her for Dream Lover, One Sweet Day, Vision Of Love, When You Believe I Give My All,Heartbreaker, and Through the rain. And based on those songs I came up with the foolish conclusion that she wasn't a soul singer..............and then I remember when I 1st heard If It's Over and my mouth was OPEN, I was DONE, I loved her that was actually in 06 and that was THIS performance. That's when I realized the versatility of her vocals she can turn the soul off & on just like she can turn the rasp on & off. Even with the vocal decline from what it was pre 1999, Im glad that she still can do that it seems. But GOD I wish she could still do THIS

http://youtu.be/3yJADYvjCzM

That chick went to CHUICH, that chick seriousl went innnn on that damn bridge and finale.

:mellow:

MC, what in the world was that? :mellow:

I am on murdered on the floor! THAT WAS A+MAZING!!! :excited: :excited:

Carlton.gif

OMG I'm on my 2nd listen now! SHE DID THAT (as always :yep:)! It was well worth the wait! And this is probably one of her most diverse records yet ^_^

My first impression reaction lol: Track 1 and I was already blown away ~ "Cry." takes it back to the Daydream days! "Faded" is a hot one ~ I imagine it'll sound great in the car! "Dedicated" was the one I was anticipating the most; I LOVE that Wu-Tang sample ("Carey like Mariah!") ~ very nostalgic. if I absolutely HAD to pick a favorite at the moment, it'd be that one! It was so good to finally hear "Thirsty" in HQ! I love that ratchet song lol. "Make It Look Good" is pure magic :D ~ Stevie Wonder on harmonica is a nice touch! "You Don't Know What To Do" is a catchy head bopper; Wale said it best - "you better sing it girl!" :excited: Dem babies (mainly Roe lol) sound really cute on "Supernatural" ^_^ "Meteorite" has this mysterious jazzy house feel ~ very different for her. "Camouflage" is a beautiful ballad ~ nice descriptive use of the title! "Money" was probably the one that murdered me the least lol, but it still had some good musicianship. She did a fantastic job with the "One More Try" cover; incredible belting up the octave at the end! Then "Heavenly" lives up to its title and more! Again, another masterpiece! Will have on constant replay until the unforeseeable future. B)

11744.gif

• Upvote 2

You really do. There isnt a song I don't like (yes I love Money now).

• Upvote 3

If it wasn't for Thirsty it'd be her 1st album since Glitter.

I gotta get it off my chest, it is really dumb that word on the street for a while has been she's recorded ALOT of music for this album over the last 4 years. .... and then she puts on remixes (not even at the very least outtakes).......from the last album..... and NO real outtakes? I don't like that, even tho I like them, they don't deserve to be on the album.

Taking a break from MIAMTEC to listen to something else

I have taken chances on

Romances once or twice

tumblr_m59gi1fis41qmbvtno2_500.gif

Taking a break from MIAMTEC to listen to something else

I have taken chances on

Romances once or twice

tumblr_m59gi1fis41qmbvtno2_500.gif

LOL.

I love that album. No one was doing that type of sound during that time.

LOL.

I love that album. No one was doing that type of sound during that time.

Me too. It has some great gems on it and some of the lyrics are relate-able (Never Too Far, Twister, Reflections). I liked the retro-influence throughout. When it was first released I didn't like it, admittedly. But after a couple of years I went back to it and appreciated it more and now I simply love it.

• Upvote 1

Evidently your words were merely lies

Reverberating in my ears

And the echo won't subside

There's a deep deep loss of hope

And the anger burns in me

I hope you don't get no ideas about reuniting baby

'Cause that's the last thing I truly need

Your audacity is too much to be believed, so

Go to Mimi on your contacts, press delete

mariah-so-don-gif.gif

• Upvote 1