Do You Find 'Family Guy' Racist?

TwistedElegance™

I do. Often jokes in sitcoms are based on the ignorance of the character forming racial stereotypes, but I swear FG is just blatantly crossing that line.

One example is the episode where Meg flips out and takes revenge on the family. She winds up at the pharmacy pointing a gun at Mort, but Brian talks her out of it. When they leave, Mort says "At least I didn't get robbed." Then you hear the door open and he says, "And what can I do for you four fine black gentlemen today?"

Thoughts?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it has it's tendencies, sure enough. The Seth Twins are just that way. I'm not excusing them, but they just do things like that. They make fun of everyone and everything even themselves. There are times they've taken it too far which is why the show has been cancelled a few times. But I don't think much will change them now if it hasn't already.

I think it has it's tendencies, sure enough. The Seth Twins are just that way. I'm not excusing them, but they just do things like that. They make fun of everyone and everything even themselves. Theere are times they've taken it too far which is why the show has been cancelled a few times. But I don't think much will change them now if it hasn't already.

I just watched season 10 on the weekend and there were a lot of jokes that went the same way. I understand Seth likes to be controversial and push buttons, but this isn't witty to me. I'm a big fan of the show, but it bothers me.

I just watched season 10 on the weekend and there were a lot of jokes that went the same way. I understand Seth likes to be controversial and push buttons, but this isn't witty to me. I'm a big fan of the show, but it bothers me.

I agree with you. I mostly watch for Stewie and Brian, these two kill me. But I definitely see your point with the jokes. Seth has the tendency to go too far. It's just that with his status, he feels like he's borderline invincible. People keep asking him back whenever he's cancelled. So I'm just saying, I doubt he has much intention on changing. That's the bad thing.

South Park usually angle it to play off the ignorance of their characters though. With SP I never feel that the racist jokes are the attitudes of Matt or Trey.

Plus SP has gone episodes without doing the racist jokes. With FG, it's like every episode will have at least 1 or 2 racist jokes.

So how would you justify the scene I posted as not racist?

Because comedy is meant to make people laugh and make fun of sterotypes that people secretly think anyway. As a black man I didn't take offense to that episode I remember the one you talking about.

People need to stop being so sensitive and worry about more important things... Family Guy is just entertainment... I'm shocked that the pressed gay activists pink mafia haven't really bothered family guy yet. FG makes fun of everyone which is why I don't get upset by it.

Because comedy is meant to make people laugh and make fun of sterotypes that people secretly think anyway. As a black man I didn't take offense to that episode I remember the one you talking about.

People need to stop being so sensitive and worry about more important things... Family Guy is just entertainment... I'm shocked that the pressed gay activists pink mafia haven't really bothered family guy yet. FG makes fun of everyone which is why I don't get upset by it.

I get that it's meant to make people laugh, and out of shock, I did. But I don't think "entertainment" is a good enough excuse.

I don't think I'm being too sensitive, it's an observation. FG gets around the gay activists because of Brian and his liberal views. The pro-gay marriage episode, Stewie's tendencies etc. They really only come for the queeny behaviour, and they're pretty tame with that to be honest.

No.

Streotyping has been apart of comedy since the beginning. It will offend some ppl while it makes others laugh. Depends on the persons idea of whats "too far". Me,I would laugh at this because its not such a sensitive spot for me.Im use to comedy having very few boundaries I suppose.

When Stewie falls in love with the child actress but can't be with her he says to Brian, "What kind of man would I be if I just ran off?" and Brian replies, "Well, you'd be a black man." You can't tell me that's okay. :mellow:

Also, Cleveland aside, seems whenever a person of another nationality is in a scene there's always a reference to it.

When Stewie falls in love with the child actress but can't be with her he says to Brian, "What kind of man would I be if I just ran off?" and Brian replies, "Well, you'd be a black man." You can't tell me that's okay. :mellow:

Also, Cleveland aside, seems whenever a person of another nationality is in a scene there's always a reference to it.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I know they are wrong for it..but I can't help but to laugh because there is some truth to it..but not all black men are like that..

Thats what makes it funny. Us black ppl know the thangs "blacks do" just as ppl associate bombing and blowing buildings up with white folks. Everyone falls under the sterotype umbrella because there is some truth.

Archived