The Business of Theft: The Funny Numbers of the Music Industry

SonofBaldwin

It doesn't help that you all illegally download music.... yall partially responsible :rolleyes:

Bitch i pay my 99 or 79 cents per song, so don't come for me. <_<

Keep it classy and don't generalize. :coffee:

What you meant to say is that illegal downloading is eroding the profits that artist see in the end. :thumbup:

But to be fair, if artist put out better material, folks wouldn't be so quick to steal. The dayz of spending 14.99 on a cd with only 3 good songs are ovah! :wave:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bitch i pay my 99 or 79 cents per song, so don't come for me. <_<

Keep it classy and don't generalize. :coffee:

What you meant to say is that illegal downloading is eroding the profits that artist see in the end. :thumbup:

But to be fair, if artist put out better material, folks wouldn't be so quick to steal. The dayz of spending 14.99 on a cd with only 3 good songs are ovah! :wave:

Like you have NEVER stole music :rolleyes:

Yup, artist have been saying that since the 60s and 70s. I remember left eye saying that if it wasn't for touring TLC would have been more broke than what they already were. Tours are guaranteed money as long as you keep your cost down. There is also money to be made from writing and producing. Artist need to get their royalty rates higher than that 10 percent. That means these lazy bitches need to pick up a pen. :filenails:

Like Stevie Nicks said, your royalties are your pension. The song you write today will be the check yo collect 30 years from now. That bitch is still eating off of "Landslides".

Which is why Janet's "Number Ones" tour will put more money in her pocket than any tour since Rhythm Nation. They can hate on the "smaller venues, intimate settings" all they want. Janet will come away from this richer than she's ever been.

I dont think the artist get's the tour gross. That goes to the promoter. The promoter agrees to pay an artist a certain amount of money for each show he/she does. On rihanna's last tour, I think she got 450,000 per show.

I dont think the artist get's the tour gross. That goes to the promoter. The promoter agrees to pay an artist a certain amount of money for each show he/she does. On rihanna's last tour, I think she got 450,000 per show.

Really? I didn't know that.

Why does Forbes magazine count tour grosses in the artist's income?

Were her shows even bringing in that much last tour?

Really? I didn't know that.

Why does Forbes magazine count tour grosses in the artist's income?

I don't know why they always do that. They don't see that money :lol: If they did Beyonce wouldn't be outranking Madonna on forbes, b/c her tours grosses over 300 million.

But I learned that b/c it's on an artist tour rider(how much they're getting)

I don't know why they always do that. They don't see that money :lol: If they did Beyonce wouldn't be outranking Madonna on forbes, b/c her tours grosses over 300 million.

But I learned that b/c it's on an artist tour rider(how much they're getting)

From my understanding an artist has what is called a "guarantee". Meaning its a set amount they must get paid for EVERY show -which was negotiated at the beginning with the promoters chosen for the tour. Then the promoters collects all the money from the ticket sales,I believe. Left Eye spoke on this during the FANMAIL tour. Thats why when ticket sales aren't great -promoters are the ones fuming because they are the ones taking the loss or MORE of the loss.

From my understanding an artist has what is called a "guarantee". Meaning its a set amount they must get paid for EVERY show -which was negotiated at the beginning with the promoters chosen for the tour. Then the promoters collects all the money from the ticket sales,I believe. Left Eye spoke on this during the FANMAIL tour. Thats why when ticket sales aren't great -promoters are the ones fuming because they are the ones taking the loss or MORE of the loss.

Pretty much :lol:

its funny when a show grosses less than what the artist is getting paid :lol::lol:

I wonder how much was spent on Janet's promo since her web team did a lot of the promo through Twitter/Facebook..

Pretty much :lol:

its funny when a show grosses less than what the artist is getting paid :lol::lol:

That would suck considering all the money the promoter invests in promoting the tour -which isnt cheap.

but Im more surprised to find out that getting the promoter is the FIRST thing you do before you start planning the tour or anything. Everything else comes AFTER that. I always thought you put ya tour together, have your "finished product" and then go find the promoters.

I wonder how much was spent on Janet's promo since her web team did a lot of the promo through Twitter/Facebook..

I think when its smaller venues the promo doesnt have to be so massive or over the top since Janet is a BIG name. Promoters know that she wont need much promotion for small venues verses big arenas.Word of mouth pretty much has that on lock.

I think when its smaller venues the promo doesnt have to be so massive or over the top since Janet is a BIG name. Promoters know that she wont need much promotion for small venues verses big arenas.Word of mouth pretty much has that on lock.

That's true..

And I think the only other promo she has is a couple of weeks of radio promo..

If ya'll think back,remember when Janet was suppose to tour back during the 20yo era. Gil was saying that "ppl aren't believing in her" in other word the "suits" aka businessmen weren't believing in her and she was having a hard time getting a tour off the ground. It was because she couldn't find any promoters that wanted to invest in what she was tryna do for a tour. They felt fuckin with Janet was a gamble. Understandably so,I must say...considering where her career was at that time. They were tryna avoid what ended up happening with the RWU tour ..

If ya'll think back,remember when Janet was suppose to tour back during the 20yo era. Gil was saying that "ppl aren't believeing in her" in other word the "suits" aka businessmen weren't believing in her and she was having a hard time getting a tour off the ground. It was because she couldn't find any promoters that wanted to invest in her. They felt fuckin with Janet was a gamble. Understandably so,I must say...considering where her career was at that time. They were tryna avoid what ended up happening with the RWU tour ..

I think promoters would of invested in her if she didn't want a tour with a big production with 20YO.

I think promoters would of invested in her if she didn't want a tour with a big production with 20YO.

Its that she wanted to do BIG venues like she usually does. They were like ..hell nah,its a gamble. Now had she came to them wanting to do small venues ..they would have been more game but it sounds lieek Janet was FIGHTING for big venues and thats why it was such a battle, such a tug-of-war.

you people have it all figured wrong......lets take biig tours like u2 and madonna for example the standing cost everyday from the time the concert start regardless of if there's a show or not is 1million dollars... their stage production was down right insane over the top so likely the spend 50%of the gross on production alone...

madonna may have grossed 400mill frome her tour but she like only bagged around 100-150mil same with u 2..that may have grossed close to a billion dollars but took home prolly less that half of that

now the stardard agreement for every tour is the artist bag..65-70% of the venue gross.. the concert venue and production cost are around 30% and the promoter gets 10% ..LADYGAGA's tour for example since her production is very expensive she will bag less than 65% of the venue gross

you people have it all figured wrong......lets take biig tours like u2 and madonna for example the standing cost everyday from the time the concert start regardless of if there's a show or not is 1million dollars... their stage production was down right insane over the top so likely the spend 50%of the gross on production alone...

madonna may have grossed 400mill frome her tour but she like only bagged around 100-150mil same with u 2..that may have grossed close to a billion dollars but took home prolly less that half of that

now the stardard agreement for every tour is the artist bag..65-70% of the venue gross.. the concert venue and production cost are around 30% and the promoter gets 10% ..LADYGAGA's tour for example since her production is very expensive she will bag less than 65% of the venue gross

we already straightened it out and said that if you read the whole thread .. :lol:

i was explaining because i read somethin like the promoter paying an artist a fixed amount regardless of the gross which was simply not true

Well lets clear it up ..in the event a tour IS successful they are contractually guaranteed their fixed amount. Then they recieve a lil off the back end if its a completely sold out show. Not to mention a few bucks from the merchadise.

Archived