The Business of Theft: The Funny Numbers of the Music Industry

SonofBaldwin

http://imixwhatilike.com/2011/07/09/thebizoftheft/

MusicBizBreakdown.jpg

Here is another strong breakdown of an artists’ exploitative relationship with the music label/industry. This short video helps with the basics of how an industry can reap tremendous financial gain while breaking the bank of the artist. We first saw it as a Tweet from Paul Porter but find that it also helps to expose as a lie the popular notion that artists go broke due to poor spending habits (the musical equivalent to the Black Buying Power mythology promoted more generally) and should be connected to broader arguments against a national/global so-called “underclass.” These myths of immature artist spending, “buying power” and of an “underclass,” all are part of a larger project of re-framing colonialism, capitalism and White supremacy as either non-existent issues or diminished in their capacity to harm the world’s majority. Similarly, I MiX What I Like! attempts to add depth to these issues by bringing them into that broader imperial context and to the level of ideology arguing that this is not as much about accumulating monetary gain as it is about manipulating popularity, cultural expression and image to justify the kinds of gross (and worsening) inequality in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR4EtaKkOMI&feature=player_embedded

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats why you see artists touring all the time with NO album out. Erykah,Jill,etc ..The only SURE way to bring home the bacon.

Either you touring, or you're selling products through endorsement deals. That's how beyonce makes her money. The girl be hustling.

Either you touring, or you're selling products through endorsement deals. That's how beyonce makes her money. The girl be hustling.

^^ this is VERY true, that's why annoying to me as it may be, Beyonce is definitely on her muthafucking hustle. And yes, touring is and has been the real money maker for an artist, imagine being in a band, and having to split the profits however many ways.

^^ this is VERY true, that's why annoying to me as it may be, Beyonce is definitely on her muthafucking hustle. And yes, touring is and has been the real money maker for an artist, imagine being in a band, and having to split the profits however many ways.

Like Mint condition ..I couldn't magine splitting that money. They are another group that STAYS on tour. Every year (literally) they come to my city. But they mainly tour small/lounge venues..so ..

Yup, artist have been saying that since the 60s and 70s. I remember left eye saying that if it wasn't for touring TLC would have been more broke than what they already were. Tours are guaranteed money as long as you keep your cost down. There is also money to be made from writing and producing. Artist need to get their royalty rates higher than that 10 percent. That means these lazy bitches need to pick up a pen. :filenails:

Like Stevie Nicks said, your royalties are your pension. The song you write today will be the check yo collect 30 years from now. That bitch is still eating off of "Landslides".

Like Mint condition ..I couldn't magine splitting that money. They are another group that STAYS on tour. Every year (literally) they come to my city. But they mainly tour small/lounge venues..so ..

as long as they perform "Pretty Brown Eyes" Im good :thumbup:

Yup, artist have been saying that since the 60s and 70s. I remember left eye saying that if it wasn't for touring TLC would have been more broke than what they already were. Tours are guaranteed money as long as you keep your cost down. There is also money to be made from writing and producing. Artist need to get their royalty rates higher than that 10 percent. That means these lazy bitches need to pick up a pen. :filenails:

Like Stevie Nicks said, your royalties are your pension. The song you write today will be the check yo collect 30 years from now. That bitch is still eating off of "Landslides".

great post... :thumbup: NOW let's talk tour overhead, we have two examples that come to mind, one Madonna, and two Janet. Madonna grosses a shitload of money, problem with her is her over head must be massive to put on those huge very expensive shows, I will say I enjoy them to death, I love over the top that's why I pay to see Madge. Now Janet, this current tour could not be more budget conscious, she don't have anything up there but a screen and barely a band, the shows I saw did not even have costume changes. Janet better be raking in every dolla from the popcorn sold to the parking at the venue cause honey she is really on a no frills tour right now, great show don't get me wrong, but damn I like over the top Ima put it that way.

great post... :thumbup: NOW let's talk tour overhead, we have two examples that come to mind, one Madonna, and two Janet. Madonna grosses a shitload of money, problem with her is her over head must be massive to put on those huge very expensive shows, I will say I enjoy them to death, I love over the top that's why I pay to see Madge. Now Janet, this current tour could not be more budget conscious, she don't have anything up there but a screen and barely a band, the shows I saw did not even have costume changes. Janet better be raking in every dolla from the popcorn sold to the parking at the venue cause honey she is really on a no frills tour right now, great show don't get me wrong, but damn I like over the top Ima put it that way.

Well to be honest, Madonna gets the money back from her fans. I mean tickets for her show run between, 150$ and 400$. The cheapest my roommate found in 2008 was 175$. So when you factor in that she's playing arenas and stadiums, she covers her cost and take home profit. Janet is keeping her cost extremely low this time around, and I'm not mad at her. She's averaging like 600,000 a city. If she keeps her overhead at 100,000 a city, she should take home a nice profit. To be honest, Janet really could be playing arenas this time around. I think her and her team underestimated her demand.

Well to be honest, Madonna gets the money back from her fans. I mean tickets for her show run between, 150$ and 400$. The cheapest my roommate found in 2008 was 175$. So when you factor in that she's playing arenas and stadiums, she covers her cost and take home profit. Janet is keeping her cost extremely low this time around, and I'm not mad at her. She's averaging like 600,000 a city. If she keeps her overhead at 100,000 a city, she should take home a nice profit. To be honest, Janet really could be playing arenas this time around. I think her and her team underestimated her demand.

Exactly ...thats why Madonna is like a kid in a candy store when it comes choosing elaborate effects and props. She knows that ppl WILL pay whatever price to come see her. When you have pretty much a guarantee that ppl will attend your show becuase you're Madonna you can go buckwild with ur production cost.

This is why sometimes it pays to be independent. Get your own fanbase and tour. Not everybody needs to be fucking Lady Gaga.

But being a celeb..you can always get lil things kicked off as a source of income like clothing line,fragrances,etc.

But being a celeb..you can always get lil things kicked off as a source of income like clothing line,fragrances,etc.

I don't believe a musician should have all of that anyway. There's a difference between being a musician and being a personality/celebrity.

I don't believe a musician should have all of that anyway. There's a difference between being a musician and being a personality/celebrity.

Unfortunately the two have merged since musicians can't make money from their music. Its like Erykah Badu said, an artist has to sell the chips ahoy, the coca cola, the tampons and the Revlons, before they even get into the studio to record a song. Its fucked up, but that's the state of the industry.

Unfortunately the two have merged since musicians can't make money from their music. Its like Erykah Badu said, an artist has to sell the chips ahoy, the coca cola, the tampons and the Revlons, before they even get into the studio to record a song. Its fucked up, but that's the state of the industry.

It doesn't help that you all illegally download music.... yall partially responsible :rolleyes:

This is why I still say it sucks if you're a singles artist... that's great you can sell 2 million 99 cent singles but the label is already barely breaking even after spending 1,000,000 just to lauch the single and shoot a video.

It would be better if you could move 2 million albums that sell for 13.99. But then again if didn't write or produce anything so you probably won't be seeing more than 5% of the revenue anyway. Get on the tour bus.

Archived