I like Drake better as a singer

LyricalLesson

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a MAJOR STAN ..but I've always been torn between his r&b tracks and his rap songs. I dont think I can choose at all..I like both equally. Aside form "Brand New" being one of my favorites ...this is my other favorite r&b track by him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0qW5M1TJJM

That aint singing.. His ass talked through the whole song..

I can tell that this is what he really wants to do, be a singer. He seems to put a bit more passion into his lyrics and delivery when he sings. He's a nice lyricist and his flow is okay (can't stand that whole monotone/Wayne/Young Money vibe though) but the vocal, though not powerhouse or extremely amazing, is much more becoming of him. I also have to mention that dude sure can write an R&B song. "Fall For Your Type" is great...and "I'm Ready For You" (which is still an unclaimed demo for a female artist) is a BONAFIED SMASH HIT! :excited: Still my favorite song at the moment, I think he needs to just tweak the words a little bit and keep it for himself.

Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest, I'm listening to this satellite radio station, and they played 2 Drake songs back to back.

I'm so glad you said this because I feel the same way.

I think Drake's singing voice is very melodic. Although, he, himself, admitted that he is very much a studio singer, not a live singer and that his recorded vocal prowess is the result of technology.

However, I don't know if I can think of another rapper whose voice I find as annoying and nasal and tone-deaf as Drake's. Only, maybe Li'l Mama, but that's it.

:whistle:

I'm so glad you said this because I feel the same way.

I think Drake's singing voice is very melodic. Although, he, himself, admitted that he is very much a studio singer, not a live singer and that his recorded vocal prowess is the result of technology.

However, I don't know if I can think of another rapper whose voice I find as annoying and nasal and tone-deaf as Drake's. Only, maybe Li'l Mama, but that's it.

:whistle:

:dance:

I knew there was some other people who felt the same about Drake. :o I didn't know he said that! That's interesting. And quite honest of him to say so...sadly, I will have to agree with him. As Andy pointed out before, he was abysmal in that live performance of "Find Your Love"... :( ah, it's whatever.

I'm not really a fan of Drake's delivery when it comes to spittin' too. But I go back and forth with him, sometimes he doesn't bother me much, and other times, I don't like listening to him. :lol: @ Lil' Mama...I actually like her. I will be forever a fan after that "A Milli (Freestyle)" :excited: she KILL'T it!

:dance:

I knew there was some other people who felt the same about Drake. :o I didn't know he said that! That's interesting. And quite honest of him to say so...sadly, I will have to agree with him. As Andy pointed out before, he was abysmal in that live performance of "Find Your Love"... :( ah, it's whatever.

I'm not really a fan of Drake's delivery when it comes to spittin' too. But I go back and forth with him, sometimes he doesn't bother me much, and other times, I don't like listening to him. :lol: @ Lil' Mama...I actually like her. I will be forever a fan after that "A Milli (Freestyle)" :excited: she KILL'T it!

I'm glad he was honest. Admitting it is the first step. >_<:lol:

Yeah even though I like his raps, I see why anybody else wouldn't. My favorite track would probably be "Paris Morton Music" as far as rapping goes. ^_^

http://www.sohh.com/2010/06/drake_woud_rather_be_an_mc_instead_of_si.html

"I could never really take singing on the road the way I can take rapping on the road. I can't get on stage and blow people away with my range and vocals. I'm a studio singer because I can convey emotion and I have unique melodies, so that's kind of what I pride myself on, but that's where it stops. I make music more for people to listen to rather than to hold me as an R&B artist. Not to wish that I couldn't sing better. If I could sing like Trey [songz] then yeah, I'd definitely just want to be a singer. If I could do anything, trust me, I wish I could just sit at the piano and sing." (VIBE)

http://www.sohh.com/2010/06/drake_woud_rather_be_an_mc_instead_of_si.html

"I could never really take singing on the road the way I can take rapping on the road. I can't get on stage and blow people away with my range and vocals. I'm a studio singer because I can convey emotion and I have unique melodies, so that's kind of what I pride myself on, but that's where it stops. I make music more for people to listen to rather than to hold me as an R&B artist. Not to wish that I couldn't sing better. If I could sing like Trey [songz] then yeah, I'd definitely just want to be a singer. If I could do anything, trust me, I wish I could just sit at the piano and sing." (VIBE)

I believe he has the tools but needs to capitalize on them ..Couldn't a vocal coach bring it out of him?