Adele's 'Someone Like You' Soars To No. 1 On Hot 100

RedSimba

Following an acclaimed performance of the song on the MTV Video Music Awards Aug. 28, Adele's stark ballad "Someone Like You" bounds to the top of the Billboard Hot 100, vaulting 19-1 with dual Digital and Airplay Gainer honors.

"Like" leaps 11-1 on Digital Songs with 275,000 downloads sold (up 191%), according to Nielsen SoundScan. On Radio Songs, the track blasts 42-19 with 46 million all-format audience impressions (up 59%), according to Nielsen BDS.

The honors continue to pour in for Adele, as "Like" is her second Hot 100 No. 1, after "Rolling in the Deep" spent seven weeks at the summit beginning in May.

MTV VMAs Boost Adele, Beyonce on Billboard 200; RHCP Scores Big Debut

"Deep," which won Adele three trophies at the VMAs, and "Like" appear on the singer/songwriter's sophomore album "21," which, with 3.3 million copies sold in the U.S. since its February release, ranks as 2011's top-selling set.

Similar to "Deep," "Like" is receiving multi-format radio support, lifting into the top 10 on the Adult Pop Songs airplay chart (12-10), while advancing 6-5 on Triple A; 18-16 on Adult Contemporary; and, 24-19 on Pop Songs.

"Like" dethrones Maroon 5's "Moves Like Jagger," featuring Christina Aguilera (1-2), after the latter track ruled the Hot 100 for a week. While "Jagger" slips 1-3 on Digital Songs (207,000, down 5%), it jumps into the top 10 (11-8) on Radio Songs (86 million, up 22%).

Foster the People's "Pumped Up Kicks" holds at No. 3 on the Hot 100. The former Alternative Songs topper bullets at No. 2 on Digital Songs (218,000, up 12%) and reaches the top 10 on Radio Songs (70 million, up 16%). It also enters the Pop Songs top 10 (11-10).

LMFAO's former six-week No. 1 "Party Rock Anthem," featuring Lauren Bennett and GoonRock, dips 2-4 on the Hot 100, while Nicki Minaj's "Super Bass" rebounds 6-5. "Anthem" has led Billboard's Songs of the Summer running tally the past four weeks; check Billboard.com tomorrow for the coronation of this year's top summer title and the 10-position seasonal survey's final order.

Fellow VMA standout performer Lady Gaga likewise benefits from a buzzworthy appearance on the telecast. After she opened the festivities with "You and I," the song charges 16-6 on the Hot 100 - becoming her 11th top 10, her entire output of singles promoted to radio. The cut climbs 8-4 on Digital Songs (175,000, up 61%) and 37-23 on Radio Songs (41 million, up 32%).

Bad Meets Evil's "Lighters," featuring Bruno Mars, drops 4-7 on the Hot 100, above Cobra Starship's "You Make Me Feel ...," featuring Sabi, which zooms 18-8. After the group performed the latter title on the VMA pre-show, it flies 13-5 on Digital Songs (159,000, up 75%) and 24-20 on Radio Songs (45 million, up 15%). "Feel" is the act's second top 10; "Good Girls Go Bad," featuring Leighton Meester, reached No. 7 in 2009.

Rounding out the Hot 100's top 10 are two former No. 1s: Pitbull's "Give Me Everything," featuring Ne-Yo, Afrojack and Nayer (9-9) and Katy Perry's "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" (5-10). Although her streak may be in danger of ending, Perry extends her record run to 69 consecutive weeks in the top 10. The stretch encompasses the five No. 1 singles from her album "Teenage Dream," dating to the No. 2 of lead single "California Gurls," featuring Snoop Dogg, the week of May 29, 2010.

A hefty 16 titles debut on the Hot 100 - half from Lil Wayne's album "Tha Carter IV,", which, as previously reported, rockets onto the Billboard 200 at No. 1 with 964,000 copies sold. "Mirror," featuring Bruno Mars, leads the way at No. 16, entering Digital Songs at No. 6 with 149,000 downloads sold.

Lil Wayne's 'Carter IV' Debuts at No. 1 With 964,000 Copies

As three titles previously on the Hot 100 join his eight newcomers, Weezy places 11 songs total on this week's chart, tying David Cook and Taylor Swift for the most simultaneously-charting songs by a soloist in the list's 53-year history. Only the Beatles have held more concurrent positions, having placed 14 songs on the April 11, 1964, Hot 100 (as well as 12 each the frames before and after).

The VMAs also reveal their influence in the form of Hot 100 debuts, including Beyonce, whose "Love on Top" begins at No. 20 (and No. 10 on Digital Songs with sales of 113,000, marking the first Digital Songs top 10 from her album "4"). Beyonce performed the song on the VMAs (and then unsnapped her jacket and rubbed her belly, a move that served to announce her pregnancy).

Jay-Z and Beyonce Are 'Ecstatic' About Pregnancy, Says The-Dream

The No. 20 Hot 100 launch of "Love" is Beyonce's second-highest among her 29 solo career entries; only "Ring the Alarm" began at a higher rung (No. 12, 2006).

Young the Giant additionally parlays a VMA performance into a Hot 100 arrival, as "My Body" starts at No. 65 (42,000 downloads, up 220%). The track reached No. 5 on Alternative Songs in April.

All charts, including the Hot 100, Digital Songs, Radio Songs and Songs of the Summer will be refreshed tomorrow (Sept. 8) on Billboard.com.

http://www.billboard.com/news/adele-s-someone-like-you-soars-to-no-1-on-1005341102.story#/news/adele-s-someone-like-you-soars-to-no-1-on-1005341102.story

Even though I'm not in love with the album, I love her two singles. ^_^ Good for her!

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived