The Drake thread

RedSimba

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Drake just said this in an interview with the Jewish Chronicle...

“There were people who incorporated melody before me but I would deem myself the first person to successfully rap and sing. Yes, there are aspects of it that are new in the rap world. But it’s not a gimmick. I just sort of exist and people embrace it. I’m one of the few artists who gets to be himself every day. It doesn’t take me six hours to get ready and I don’t have to wake up in the morning and remember to act like this or talk like this.” (link)

tumblr_m1xxo2AsRE1qfeol9o1_500.gif

So he's never heard of Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Lauryn Hill, Missy, André 3000, Nelly, Kanye, Queen Latifah, shoot, even Mimi and Ralph Tresvant had bars lol

If anyone, I'd say the first person to successfully rap and sing was Kurtis Blow, so he has him beat by 30 years. He was sustaining notes on "8 Million Stories" while holding it down with Run-D.M.C. *drops mic* :) Actually there was Marvin Gaye before him too ("Ego Trippin' Out"). Point is this is nothing new when your music knowledge actually dates back past 2010 lol...

I agree with the last sentence though - at least he doesn't dress crazy for the sake of it.

• 10 months later...

Drake Covers GQ (July 2013); Talks Chris Brown, ‘Nothing Was The Same’ & More

June 18th, 2013 by Navjosh

Drake covers the July issue of Gentlemen’s Quarterly magazine with the headline lineDrake: Started From The Bottom Now He’s Here. In the cover story, he talks about the Chris Drama, his thoughts on love, his upcoming album Nothing Was The Same and more. In the interview, he also reveals sampling Whitney Houston on one of the song from his much awaited third album which is expected to be released later this Summer. Below are a few excerpts.

On other rappers hating on him:

“You notice they don’t criticize the music itself, though…I’m okay with that.”

On being abstinent, sort of:

“You know the way fighters don’t fuck before the fight? Sometimes I feel like I’m so focused on training my body and getting my mind right to create this album that sex isn’t one of my main priorities. If someone is around that I know and trust, I’m down. But I’m not going to end up with some stranger at this party.”

On Chris Brown drama:

“I hear he has everything he could want now. I don’t want my name to be synonymous with that guy’s name. I really don’t. I wish we could sit down just like you and me are right now, and talk it out man-to-man. But that’s not going to happen. I’m not confrontational, but if someone challenges, I’m not going to back down. If I think about it too much, I feel it wrapping around my foot, like I get a feeling it could end really badly…Like, it gets really dark.”

On love:

“[Will Smith said] It’s not about wanting anymore, you need that person. Hearing that, I don’t know if I’ve ever felt that way…I’ve made a lot of music about love being the only thing I’m missing. I think this is the first album I’ve made saying, ‘I’m okay, I’m enjoying it right now.’ Maybe this is my time to grind it out, make a run for it, and add some memories with my boys.”

On “Started From The Bottom:”

“I think a lot of people wish their favorite rapper wrote it—as if a song like that should be gangster—but I was the one who wrote it, and everyone has their bottom.”

“As for my whole story, I wouldn’t change a thing. I’ve told bits and pieces of it—and I’ll tell more. Maybe because I had friends who grew up in the hood, I could have acted like I had, too, and perpetrated a different lifestyle, and it would be eating away at me because it wouldn’t be the truth. i’m actually here in front of you living the truth. I wake up int he morning and my heart is light, man. It’s not heavy. I don’t have skeletons in the closet on their way out. This is my real age, my real name, my real past, and I’m good with that.”

On Nothing Was The Same:

“This is my fucking moment to say if I wanted to rap all the time, really rap, I would, but I also love to make music. I’ll do this for you right now. But it’s for me, too. It’s my story…I’m trying to get back to that kid in the basement. To say what he has to say. And I’m trying to make it last.”

And if you’re curious to when Nothing Was The Same is dropping, Drake says “I ain’t gonna lie: I want to be the one you listen to all summer.”

Spotted at Complex

http://hiphop-n-more...s-the-same-more

"You notice they don’t criticize the music itself, though…I’m okay with that.” (Oooh! :lol:)

"I think a lot of people wish their favorite rapper wrote it" (Yeah no :umm::lol:)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He sounded so improved last night!! I don't think I've ever heard him sound this good singing live. Sooo much better than those attempts at singing "Find Your Love" a few years ago.

"Started From The Bottom" is my bop jam!! I give Alicia Keys/MJB choreography when that comes on!

89vRXOx.gif

171621_o.gif

• Upvote 1