Katy Perry's 'Part of Me' on Track to Have Biggest Debut Since Gaga

DCNATION

Next week's Billboard Digital Songs and Hot 100 charts will be brimming with massive debuts, surging sales and some intriguing newcomers. A host of songs -- new and old -- will be vying for a position within both charts' top 10s.

Katy Perry's new "Part of Me," which was released digitally to retailers on Monday, Feb. 13, is heading for a debut sales week of around 400,000 to 420,000 downloads by week's end on Sunday, Feb. 19 -- so say industry prognosticators. That would mark the pop diva's best debut sales frame and the highest opening week for any act since Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" sold 448,000 on the chart dated Feb. 26, 2011, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Perry premiered "Part of Me" in a performance on the Feb. 12 Grammy Awards ceremony -- much like how Gaga launched "Born This Way" a year ago on the Feb. 13 Grammys (two days after the single hit digital retailers). So effectively, Perry's "Part of Me" will sell around the same amount in seven days as Gaga did in three.

Adele, who was the queen of this year's Grammy Awards -- taking home six trophies -- should also find herself with multiple singles near the top of the Digital Songs tally.

"Rolling in the Deep," which she performed on the show and earned both record and song of the year awards, could sell over 250,000 downloads. Meanwhile, her most recent single, "Set Fire to the Rain," may move around 220,000 while "Someone Like You" could sell 170,000.

The late Whitney Houston will likely be among next week's top 10 selling songs for a second week, as "I Will Always Love You" could sell in the range of 250,000 to 300,000.

fun.'s "We Are Young" (featuring Janelle Monae) is still reeling from its positioning in Chevy's Sonic TV commercial, and is aiming for a 250,000 sales week.

Nicki Minaj's new "Starships" is on course to sell perhaps 150,000, while Chris Brown's also just-released "Turn Up the Music" is heading for a start near 150,000 to 170,000 as well. Another new single, from British vocal group One Direction, "What Makes You Beautiful," may debut with 120,000 or so.

The top 10 of the Digital Songs chart will be revealed on Wednesday, Feb. 22.

Archived