Jimmy Jam talks about working with Janet (NEW)

jarrylf

Janet never set out match the sound or stats of any MJ album. The closest she came to anything of the sort was when she said there was envy but no jealousy. Why would she compete with someone who she was obviously better than?

LOL @ MJ being a crossover R&B act.

Again, Janet stated her self that reaching "Thriller" sales were on her list of goals. I forget where she said it, but it was during both the RN and Control eras.

They were chasing each other, because they were basically in their own lanes... during Janet's prime, Metamucil wasn't a factor on the charts as she had been pre-Janet and Control ( hee.gif ). Mariah and Whitney weren't "entertainers", they were seen as "vocalists", so though Janet competed with them, she was pretty much unmatched in her lane.

Mike's only true competition was Prince, and Prince was pretty much taken out the game with his issues with his label.

Therefore, they looked to each other for inspiration, and since they basically thought almost exactly alike in terms of the business, they influenced and inspired each other.

He was crossover R&B. :rolleyes: He became more pop, but the roots of the albums were still R&B. :rolleyes:

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't state a single lie!!

Janet stated that she was competitive with Mike and even said (earlier on during the Control and RN eras) that reaching the sales of Thriller was among her goals.

You can successfully argue that Mike was more "pop" than Janet, but they were both essentially crossover R&B acts. Which is AMAZING, considering the magnitude of their success.

I believe I have receipts for this. But I believe it was a few years later she said that or similar. Momentarily...*goes to look*

MJ was hell bent on keeping up with Janet, while Janet was always two steps ahead of him, and the rest of her peers for that matter.

The lie is no where in sight.

496888346-vi839.gif

And it was noticeable after RN..and really noticeable once she dropped TVR. :coffee:

I believe I have receipts for this. But I believe it was a few years later she said that or similar. Momentarily...*goes to look*

Thank you, sis... :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

The lie is no where in sight.

496888346-vi839.gif

And it was noticeable after RN..and really noticeable once she dropped TVR. :coffee:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Again, Janet stated her self that reaching "Thriller" sales were on her list of goals. I forget where she said it, but it was during both the RN and Control eras.

Niece, Janet never said anything of the sort. I remember her saying there was envy, that's about it.

1:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7QIN1gHsfo

She was asked at one point if she wanted to match the sales of Thriller or win an Oscar...her body language said Oscar.

They were chasing each other, because they were basically in their own lanes... during Janet's prime, Metamucil wasn't a factor on the charts as she had been pre-Janet and Control ( hee.gif ). Mariah and Whitney weren't "entertainers", they were seen as "vocalists", so though Janet competed with them, she was pretty much unmatched in her lane.

They were not chasing each other. Once again, once Control dropped Janet CONTINUED to do something different and was the captain of her own ship. Janet was edgy with Control. Who followed up with an edgy "in your face attitude" type album? Janet did a new jack swing album and combined it with social commentary. Who followed up with the same? Janet was always the captain of the ship.

Mike's only true competition was Prince, and Prince was pretty much taken out the game with his issues with his label.

Janet was MJ's competition. The BBC even clocked that tea. Ain't nobody stupid.

Therefore, they looked to each other for inspiration, and since they basically thought almost exactly alike in terms of the business, they influenced and inspired each other.

And MJ looked to Janet more than Janet looked to MJ. This is noticeable.

He was crossover R&B. :rolleyes: He became more pop, but the roots of the albums were still R&B. :rolleyes:

The only argument you have about MJ being crossover is OTW. Thriller - Michael is straight up pop material.

Thank you, sis... :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

Found it. All thanks to Matt, of course, for posting it in the True Life Thread. She did say something along the lines of competing with Michael.

Here:

I'll start with the article which refers to Madonna. I'm kicking myself because the first half is missing, and I really want to know what she said! Anyway, here's what I have. It's from a 1995 interview with Aussie magazine TV Hits.

In Janet Jackson there is a lot of Michael. In an all-too-sisterly way, Janet seems to sit at her brother's feet. But, professionally, she tries - and sometimes succeeds - in giving him a run for his mega-ness. "He's done so much, I feel like I haven't even gotten close to what he's done," she says. "When someone says, 'Oh my God, you've done this, you've done that,' I think, 'Yeah, that's nice, but Michael's done this. Do I want Michael's kind of success?'" she asks. "Oh, hell yeah! Are you kidding? I'd love to. And he knows that too."

Hell it was noticeable in 1990 and 1991. :lmao:

It was pretty much a wrap once Janet released "Control"..I have older friends who were grown up around the time Janet came out with "Control"..they pretty much said what everyone was thinking...this girl is something special and she will deliver us..

This older dude said that Janet and Madonna had to do extra to make up for their lack of vocal skills(a la Whitney, etc.)..and he said he respected those two more than the singers because they were far more entertaining. The old heads view of things>>>>>>>>>>

2h4aob9.png

i can't spot it either.-_-

:lmao::lmao:

Austin be serving nothing but the freshest lipton..he does it on ATRL as well..the gals can't take it..Glad he's a Janet stan.. -_- All the other flops he stans for I can't get with.. ^_^

Niece, Janet never said anything of the sort. I remember her saying there was envy, that's about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7QIN1gHsfo

She was asked at one point if she wanted to match the sales of Thriller or win an Oscar...her body language said Oscar.

They were not chasing each other. Once again, once Control dropped Janet CONTINUED to do something different and was the captain of her own ship. Janet was edgy with Control. Who followed up with an edgy "in your face attitude" type album? Janet did a new jack swing album and combined it with social commentary. Who followed up with the same? Janet was always the captain of the ship.

Janet was MJ's competition. The BBC even clocked that tea. Ain't nobody stupid.

And MJ looked to Janet more than Janet looked to MJ. This is noticeable.

The only argument you have about MJ being crossover is OTW. Thriller - Michael is straight up pop material.

Niece??? :umm: :umm: :umm: :umm:

I would address this, but my sis already provided receipts. :excited: :excited: Outside of what my sis posted, I do remember her saying it in a televised interview too. ^_^

They were chasing each other. :rolleyes: I don't think Janet really became a "threat" to Mike until RN. With "Control" she had TREMENDOUS success, but she still had to prove that it wasn't a fluke. It was even said that Mike delayed releasing "Bad" because he didn't want to take the shine off his sis (he wanted her to slay without any distraction from him :wub: )... with RN she basically said to everyone (including Mike) "Bitch, I'm here to stay"...not only that but she carved out her own niche and continued her efforts to build the template for the modern female pop star. -_- THAT'S when Michael became "pressed" by Janet. That's when he really begin to take note of what she was doing and became influenced by her.

Even still, they were both influenced by and chasing the other in many ways.

"Thriller" is R&B. :mellow: Mike didn't even really dabble into more a "pop" sound until "Bad".

Found it. All thanks to Matt, of course, for posting it in the True Life Thread. She did say something along the lines of competing with Michael.

Here:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS sis!!!!

+1 :good:

It was pretty much a wrap once Janet released "Control"..I have older friends who were grown up around the time Janet came out with "Control"..they pretty much said what everyone was thinking...this girl is something special and she will deliver us..

This older dude said that Janet and Madonna had to do extra to make up for their lack of vocal skills(a la Whitney, etc.)..and he said he respected those two more than the singers because they were far more entertaining. The old heads view of things>>>>>>>>>>

I could really write a whole paper on why Janet is better than all of her peers. It was clear by the time RN1814 was done dragging the girls for filth that she wasn't going anywhere. Out of all of the 80s kids (+Mariah), Mariah and Whitney are the only two of Janet's peers that have never been pressed about her success. Michael, Madonna, and Prince were all somewhat envious of what she had done from 1986-1995, utter dominance and they couldn't take.

And I always respect, and have taken an interest, in the views of older stans because they were there to witness it. There's only so much I can learn about the time from reading articles and watching old footage.

Overall, Janet's influence on the industry AND her peers is vastly underrated. :sigh:

Niece??? :umm: :umm: :umm: :umm:

I would address this, but my sis already provided receipts. :excited: :excited: Outside of what my sis posted, I do remember her saying it in a televised interview too. ^_^

Janet saying there's no competition with video proof >>>>>>>>

They were chasing each other. :rolleyes: I don't think Janet really became a "threat" to Mike until RN. With "Control" she had TREMENDOUS success, but she still had to prove that it wasn't a fluke. It was even said that Mike delayed releasing "Bad" because he didn't want to take the shine off his sis (he wanted her to slay without any distraction from him :wub: )... with RN she basically said to everyone (including Mike) "Bitch, I'm here to stay"...not only that but she carved out her own niche and continued her efforts to build the template for the modern female pop star. -_- THAT'S when Michael became "pressed" by Janet. That's when he really begin to take note of what she was doing and became influenced by her.

PLEASE, they were not chasing each other. Janet was playing cat and mouse with Michael, but black cat didn't have nine lives. Janet stayed one-upping Michael and it was proof in their work. Hell it's proof in the article of Jimmy clocking the tea. Why else would MJ want to go back and rerecord his vocal for "Scream" after hearing Janet's? Again, ain't nobody stupid.

Even still, they were both influenced by and chasing the other in many ways.

Continuously telling a lie won't make it true.

"Thriller" is R&B. :mellow: Mike didn't even really dabble into more a "pop" sound until "Bad".

Thriller is not R&B.

Janet saying there's no competition with video proof >>>>>>>>

There IS video proof, I'm just not pressed to find it...it exists though, and you probably know what I'm referring to. :rolleyes:

PLEASE, they were not chasing each other. Janet was playing cat and mouse with Michael, but black cat didn't have nine lives. Janet stayed one-upping Michael and it was proof in their work. Hell it's proof in the article of Jimmy clocking the tea. Why else would MJ want to go back and rerecord his vocal for "Scream" after hearing Janet's? Again, ain't nobody stupid.

They were influenced by each the other...but as I said before Michael was also pre-occupied with (literally) saving his life toward the end...that obviously played a role in distracting him from his art.

If you really go back and look and listen to what they each did you will see just how similar they thought in music and video.

Michael re-recorded, but (as Jimmy stated) they still ended up using 90% of Mike's 1st take. Which means Michael ultimately was satisfied with what he did.

Continuously telling a lie won't make it true.

There was no lie told. :coffee:

Thriller is not R&B.

Thriller has the "something for everyone" vibe that Mike developed more with each era, but it's still an R&B album. I don't understand why you're debating this when it's obvious. :mellow:

There IS video proof, I'm just not pressed to find it...it exists though, and you probably know what I'm referring to. :rolleyes:

They were influenced by each the other...but as I said before Michael was also pre-occupied with (literally) saving his life toward the end...that obviously played a role in distracting him from his art.

If you really go back and look and listen to what they each did you will see just how similar they thought in music and video.

Michael re-recorded, but (as Jimmy stated) they still ended up using 90% of Mike's 1st take. Which means Michael ultimately was satisfied with what he did.

There was no lie told. :coffee:

Thriller has the "something for everyone" vibe that Mike developed more with each era, but it's still an R&B album. I don't understand why you're debating this when it's obvious. :mellow:

You're not gonna send me on a wild goose chase looking for a video that doesn't exist. If you have no receipts then you have no argument. I don't make up the rules, I just enforce them.

And MJ didn't have time to expound on his craft yet he had time to digest the entire RN1814 album and create his own watered down version? The ONLY reason why someone would want to go back and rerecord their vocals is because they feel they had been upstaged. Janet in how ever many takes she did was enough to give Michael hell. She even upstaged him in the video.... Which btw was all Janet's creation.

Thriller is a pop album to the fullest. It has been labeled that since its release. :umm:

You're not gonna send me on a wild goose chase looking for a video that doesn't exist. If you have no receipts then you have no argument. I don't make up the rules, I just enforce them.

And MJ didn't have time to expound on his craft yet he had time to digest the entire RN1814 album and create his own watered down version? The ONLY reason why someone would want to go back and rerecord their vocals is because they feel they had been upstaged. Janet in how ever many takes she did was enough to give Michael hell. She even upstaged him in the video.... Which btw was all Janet's creation.

Thriller is a pop album to the fullest. It has been labeled that since its release. :umm:

I'm not sending you a wild goose chase. I simply told you it exists (and you know it does), but I'm not pressed to find it. I don't really care about providing receipts, because I KNOW it exists.

I said it effected him in his LATER years :rolleyes: Mike OBVIOUSLY loved RN, but there is nothing watered down about Dangerous, you can be influenced by something without trying to replicate it. One could say Janet was just as pressed, she refused to go in after Mike and record her vocal track. He killed it, and she didn't want to follow it...not after he had just snatched everyone bald in the recording studio. :lol: She was pressed, and recorded her vocal at a different time, Mike was shocked by what Janet delivered and went back to re-record his vocal (but ultimately decided to use his initial vocals). Evidence of both chasing and being influenced by the other. :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: B)

The media may label it and Mike as merely pop, but EVERYONE who truly knows music knows that "Thriller" it is R&B at it's core. :rolleyes:

I could really write a whole paper on why Janet is better than all of her peers. It was clear by the time RN1814 was done dragging the girls for filth that she wasn't going anywhere. Out of all of the 80s kids (+Mariah), Mariah and Whitney are the only two of Janet's peers that have never been pressed about her success. Michael, Madonna, and Prince were all somewhat envious of what she had done from 1986-1995, utter dominance and they couldn't take.

And I always respect, and have taken an interest, in the views of older stans because they were there to witness it. There's only so much I can learn about the time from reading articles and watching old footage.

Overall, Janet's influence on the industry AND her peers is vastly underrated. :sigh:

I always like to talk to the older folks and get their perspective on things from back in the day..and I looked through his collection and he had several of Janet's videos and albums..He said he kinda lost interest after the All 4 U era, but he still said she was the best female entertainer after Tina. And he loved Prince..I think he loved Michael, but not as much as Prince..

Growing up in that era made things to easy for me..The word "superstar" was the coined for the artists of the 80's..Janet may not get the recognition because she came after Michael, Madonna, Prince and Whitney..but once she slayed the competition and became her own woman, that's when people really took notice of her. She is vastly underrated and you can see her influence still to this day. The very first time I seen the "WHYDFML" video, I was entranced..I was like, "Who is this woman"..and why is she dancing and giving me EVERYTHING I need right now..I was so into her that I would anticipate her videos to come on tv. She came. She conquered. And she made the gals gag. Even the ones that came before her. :coffee:

I'm not sending you a wild goose chase. I simply told you it exists (and you know it does), but I'm not pressed to find it. I don't really care about providing receipts, because I KNOW it exists.

What I know exists I have already posted. And you still have no evidence. I'm not here for your hearsay.

I said it effected him in his LATER years :rolleyes: Mike OBVIOUSLY loved RN, but there is nothing watered down about Dangerous, you can be influenced by something without trying to replicate it. One could say Janet was just as pressed, she refused to go in after Mike and record her vocal track. He killed it, and she didn't want to follow it...not after he had just snatched everyone bald in the recording studio. :lol: She was pressed, and recorded her vocal at a different time, Mike was shocked by what Janet delivered and went back to re-record his vocal (but ultimately decided to use his initial vocals). Evidence of both chasing and being influenced by the other. :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: B)

BULLSHIT. Michael was pressed. T-H-E-E END.

The media may label it and Mike as merely pop, but EVERYONE who truly knows music knows that "Thriller" it is R&B at it's core. :rolleyes:

I always like to talk to the older folks and get their perspective on things from back in the day..and I looked through his collection and he had several of Janet's videos and albums..He said he kinda lost interest after the All 4 U era, but he still said she was the best female entertainer after Tina. And he loved Prince..I think he loved Michael, but not as much as Prince..

Growing up in that era made things to easy for me..The word "superstar" was the coined for the artists of the 80's..Janet may not get the recognition because she came after Michael, Madonna, Prince and Whitney..but once she slayed the competition and became her own woman, that's when people really took notice of her. She is vastly underrated and you can see her influence still to this day. The very first time I seen the "WHYDFML" video, I was entranced..I was like, "Who is this woman"..and why is she dancing and giving me EVERYTHING I need right now..I was so into her that I would anticipate her videos to come on tv. She came. She conquered. And she made the gals gag. Even the ones that came before her. :coffee:

It's always interesting to learn about the artists of the past. I was ELATED when I found out how much Donna let the girls HAVE IT in the 70s. :lmao: I'm always on the brink of stanning for her, but I just don't want to over do it in the stanning. -_- It's also amazing how ill-informed these young kids are, I mean, just look at ATRL. Them kids act like the industry just came together in the late 90s/early 00s. :umm: Sometimes I wonder if I'm too old to be on there, but shit I need my KIIs sometimes. :lmao:

The only reason why people won't give Janet proper credit is because people assume everything she did can be attributed and/or credited to Michael, which in itself is pure ignorance. People just need to understand how much better than him, and her overrated peers she is. :sigh:

The only reason why people won't give Janet proper credit is because people assume everything she did can be attributed and/or credited to Michael, which in itself is pure ignorance. People just need to understand how much better than him, and her overrated peers she is. :sigh:

!

PING!

& I absolutely hated hearing that shit growing up. Did he MIX her tracks? Teach her choreo? Show her how to grunt the lyrics in place of SINGING them? Did he somehow give her the idea of her album concepts only to come out with shoddy "remakes" of his versions?

Do people NOT know that Jan has gone on record, time after time, saying she never wanted to ride on her brothers coattails? That SHE turned his ass down for a duet to PROVE that she was a force on her own & even better at that? & people claim up & down Jan did Scream to get on her brothers train even more. HE needed HER for that song, not the other way around.

Archived