Jimmy Jam talks about working with Janet (NEW)

jarrylf

He did a interview about his entire career pretty much and the last question was:

You and Terry, of course, have done phenomenally successful work with Janet Jackson over the years, but weren’t involved with her last album, Discipline (2008). Any chance you guys might work with her again?

I think so. The ball’s in her court there. We started working on a record with her. Around the time that Michael passed, we were actually in the studio. Matter of fact, we had actually gotten one song done. She was going to take three weeks off to go down to Atlanta to work with Tyler Perry on Why Did I Get Married Too? When she was done, we were going to resume working. And of course, Michael passed. And we never really got back in the studio again. She went straight into another film and then did the Up Close and Personal tour.

We have songs for her that we think are great. And if she thinks they’re great, I think we would work together on something. If she doesn’t think they’re great, maybe we wouldn’t. It’s as simple as that. If we’re thinking along the same lines about what she should do next, then I think we’ll definitely work together again. There’s a comfort level there. There’s never been any animosity between us or any bad blood in any way. She’s like family to us. As a matter of fact, she’s the godmother to my first son. So beyond the music part of it, we’re close anyway. But we’ll see. I would love that.

http://www.themortonreport.com/entertainment/music/an-interview-with-jimmy-jam-of-the-original-7ven-part-two/

:yahoo::excited:

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate how it seems their working relationship now is so ..I dunno .."up in the air" .You know there use to be a time where Janet going in to create with them for a project was a no brainer -now it seems so disconnected if you get what I mean.

Yeah, I don't like how Jimmy is so insecure about it.

But this

she’s the godmother to my first son.

is so cute. I had no idea.

I hate how it seems their working relationship now is so ..I dunno .."up in the air" .You know there use to be a time where Janet going in to create with them for a project was a no brainer -now it seems so disconnected if you get what I mean.

I get what you mean completely.

O MA GODDDDDDDDDDDD I CANT BELIEVE I MISSED THIS PART

Speaking of Michael Jackson, what can you share about working with him on HIStory (1995)?

Michael was amazing. I can’t think of a studio moment that blew us away more than the first time he got in front of a microphone on “Scream.” It was really funny. First of all, when we put that track together, I had Janet come to Minneapolis. I just said, “I need you to be here for inspiration.” So Terry and I put together four or five different tracks, and for one of the tracks, Janet said, “I hope he doesn’t like this one, because I want this one for me.” And another one of the tracks, she said, “This is the one he’s going to like, I know my brother.”

So we go to the Hit Factory in New York. We played all these tracks, and when the track that ended up being “Scream” came on, he said, “Yeah I like that.” Janet said, “I told you that’s the one he was going to like! I’m so glad he didn’t like that other track.” Well, the other track ended up being “Runaway,” her single from Design of a Decade. I actually thought that track would’ve been a great duet for them, but Michael wanted to be real aggressive and real hard. He had things on his mind about how he felt he was being treated in the press. And the track for “Scream” was sonically perfect for what he wanted to do lyrically.

When he went into the studio, the idea was that he was going to sing it first and then Janet would go in and sing after him. So Janet’s sitting there, me and Terry are sitting there, and Michael goes in. Before he sings, he’s just real calm and quiet, “Can you turn my headphones up a little bit?” Then all of a sudden the music comes on and he starts dancing around the room, hitting all his signature moves. And he’s like, wearing a bracelet or something while clapping — you’re not really supposed to do that when you’re on the mic, but it didn’t even matter. When it was over, I swear to God, it was just silence in the room. He said, “How was that?” We’re like, “Yeah, that sounded really good.” And I turned and looked at Janet and she said to me, “I’ll just do my vocal in Minneapolis.” It was like, “I’m not going to do my vocal right now.” Obviously he just killed it, right? [laughs]

So we go to Minneapolis with Janet, where she does a great job on her vocal. We send it to Michael, he goes, “Wow, Janet sounds great. Where did she record that vocal?” I said it was in Minneapolis. “I’m coming to Minneapolis.” So Michael comes to Minneapolis to re-record his vocal, and it was a real glimpse into his competitive nature. It didn’t even matter that it was his sister. It was just like, “No. I have to redo it. She did hers, I have to redo mine.” It was just crazy, his competitiveness even with his own sister. But it was that drive for perfection. And the original vocal he did in New York ended up being probably 90 percent of the vocal on the final song.

I think Runaway would've made a good duet with Michael. I LOVE how competitive they were with each other LOL, I LOVE THAT.

I wonder what the other 3 tracks were and what happend to them

'Runaway' would have been cool, but 'Scream' would have been and as we see much more signature for them. That song was perfect for them. Hearing the competitive nature between the two from his point of view made me laugh :lmao: I love them :lmao::wub:

Also, I'd love to have this trio back in the studio making magic again :wub:

WHERE is that song they did???!!! Release just a snippet, that'll hold me over. & leak Ruff in full too

I remember hearing how her brother re-recorded his vocals b/c Jan had him SHOOK in some other interview but not in depth like this.

& thank GODnet he didn't choose "Runaway" for the duet. I luv Jan on it solo.

DEAD @ the the most popular entertainer in history being bothered by his *More* talented sister.. :whistle::excited:

Untitled302-vi.gif

WHERE is that song they did???!!! Release just a snippet, that'll hold me over. & leak Ruff in full too

I remember hearing how her brother re-recorded his vocals b/c Jan had him SHOOK in some other interview but not in depth like this.

& thank GODnet he didn't choose "Runaway" for the duet. I luv Jan on it solo.

Untitled302-vi.gif

hee20hee-vi634.gif

hmmmm .i have given up on janet musically ..i don't think its the least bit on her mind ....it will be years before we get new music

But you dont know whats on her mind, none of us do, she is NOT predictable in the "whats she gonna do next"field, she never has been. You shouldnt really make up your mind about her on this issue because we dont know whats going on where she is, I just learned you cant predict her, you cant expect her, you just gotta accept her lol. Cause she WILL suprise you with some news out of the blue.

Even though Rodney produced MM, I sense a bit J&T in that song. Plus, didn't Rodney say they were all working together in the interview before the VMAs? :unsure:

Yea Make Me is heavily JJ & TL inspired, I would hope they're talking about another track tho.

its probably her doing, i mean the last thing u wanna do is get bored making music, maybe she wanted to take a break from them for a lil while, if they were working before mike passed, that was a major detour and reason for them not working after, maybe when she resumes music she'll work with them as well as darkchild

DEAD @ the the most popular entertainer in history being bothered by his equally talented sister.. :whistle::excited:

So Michael comes to Minneapolis to re-record his vocal, and it was a real glimpse into his competitive nature. It didn’t even matter that it was his sister. It was just like, “No. I have to redo it. She did hers, I have to redo mine.” It was just crazy, his competitiveness even with his own sister.

And her vocal STILL ended up being better :excited:

Archived