jarrylf

15 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Favorite TLC Album?

• Oooooooooh...On The TLC Tip (1992)
    • Crazy,Sexy,Cool (1994)
    • Fanmail (1999)
    • 3D(2002)

Debra killings had the best voice in TLC lol

I often wondered where her vocals ended and Chilli's began. From what i've been told, her and chilli had similar voices. But as someone said above, left eye had a decent voice, so the three of them should have been able to pull off the backgrounds and harmonies without debra. But she was credited a lot on their songs.

I often wondered where her vocals ended and Chilli's began. From what i've been told, her and chilli had similar voices. But as someone said above, left eye had a decent voice, so the three of them should have been able to pull off the backgrounds and harmonies without debra. But she was credited a lot on their songs.

yeah i cant tell chilli from debra cause if you ask me its all chilli

Aw yeah, TLC is my favorite girl group of all time! Well said jarry. I grew up with them and have so many great memories. Each member was so unique - you can easily differentiate them whether it was their looks or their voice. Each member brought something different to the table ~ I can understand the opinions on Chilli, since she was the most "conventional" of the three, but I love her though - still, nobody else could pull off that "Sexy" interlude like her lol! T-Boz easily stood out with her unique contralto. Left Eye's rap skills don't get enough credit IMO; I love her style ~ her lyricism was sort of philosophical. It's so difficult to choose a favorite album, their first three albums are classics. Well anyway let's start from the very beginning... :P

On The TLC Tip is one of the best albums in "new jill swing." This is their funnest album, which is why I have always been partial to this one. They showed their distinctive personalities here and that's one reason they've enjoyed much longevity. The biggest highlights for me are "Baby-Baby-Baby" and "What About Your Friends," but every song is good though (even "This Is How It Should Be Done" has grown on me - maybe I just love the Eric B. & Rakim sample lol). Also it must be said that they have some of the best, most creative interludes ever; and that shows on their subsequent albums as well.

CrazySexyCool is one of the best albums of all time - not just in R&B, but any genre. Their sound here has transitioned into hip hop soul, and it already showed them maturing into... well... crazy sexy cool ladies. :) Again all the songs and interludes are great (I had a bizarre reaction to the "Sexy" interlude :lmao:) main highlights for me here are "Creep" and "Waterfalls," which I'd say is lyrically their best song, as well as the love ballads "Red Light Special" and "Take Our Time" - which shows Chilli's vocals at her best. Oh yeah "Sumthin Wicked This Way Comes" and "Switch," their remake of Prince's "If I Was Your Girlfriend" - too many great choices! :) It was this they were everywhere in 1995! I discovered them through "All That" and they were the definitive guest performers of the show.

It's too bad they didn't release anything around 1996, but some good stuff came about in that time "This Is How It Works" from Waiting To Exhale, Boz with "Touch Myself," and Left Eye on the "Not Tonight (Remix)" (her part was the best IMO).

FanMail was ahead of its time. I played this album nonstop when it came out; actually I first heard it at my cousin's house (random lol). Anyway, I loved the futuristic theme. For me, the best song on the album I definitely have to give it to "Unpretty" - it has a great message based on T-Boz's poem, and solid production work from Dallas Austin. "No Scrubs" got a little overplayed for me though - the remix with Left Eye is great though; she should've been included on the album version. Generally, the ballads are my favorites here "Come On Down," "Dear Lie," oh yeah and uptempos "Shout" and "Lovesick."

Left Eye's Supernova deserves a mention. Shame it never got released here; I love how unconventional it was. "We were dancin' all night long! We were dancin' all night long!" That can get stuck in your head easily lol "Let Me Live" and "A New Star Is Born" are my favorites though.

While not on par with the previous albums 3D is still a good album, and also bittersweet for obvious reasons. "Girl Talk," "Turntable," "Good Love," but it is "In Your Arms Tonight" that's my favorite - Neptunes' summery production is great here. I think it should've been released that summer of 2003. Wow, I can't believe it's been nearly a decade since that album came out.

The first two albums also switch for me, but I voted On The TLC Tip simply because it deserves at least one vote. ^_^ And FanMail is a SUPER close 3rd. However this is my ranking at the moment ...

1. CrazySexyCool ("Waterfalls")

2. Ooooooohhh...On The TLC Tip ("Baby-Baby-Baby")

3. FanMail ("Unpretty")

4. 3D ("In Your Arms Tonight")

I do have to say I do badly wish that they showcased Lisa singing more, the same way I wish they had T rappin more. TLC is like the female BellBivDeVoe, but BBD.... all 3 sang...often, 2 of them rapped even tho 1 of them was the resident rapper. There were alot of things to them I wish they polished more or showed more of, and that abobe is about it.

That's what I thought too!

Ricky Bell = Chilli (upper register)

Mike Bivins = Left Eye (rapper)

Ronnie Devoe = T-Boz (lower register)

Something like that lol. I don't remember Mike singing solo that much though. It was usually Ricky and occasionally Ronnie - maybe I just missed certain songs. :asham:

• Upvote 1

Aw yeah, TLC is my favorite girl group of all time! Well said jarry. I grew up with them and have so many great memories. Each member was so unique - you can easily differentiate them whether it was their looks or their voice. Each member brought something different to the table ~ I can understand the opinions on Chilli, since she was the most "conventional" of the three, but I love her though - still, nobody else could pull off that "Sexy" interlude like her lol! T-Boz easily stood out with her unique contralto. Left Eye's rap skills don't get enough credit IMO; I love her style ~ her lyricism was sort of philosophical. It's so difficult to choose a favorite album, their first three albums are classics. Well anyway let's start from the very beginning... :P

On The TLC Tip is one of the best albums in "new jill swing." This is their funnest album, which is why I have always been partial to this one. They showed their distinctive personalities here and that's one reason they've enjoyed much longevity. The biggest highlights for me are "Baby-Baby-Baby" and "What About Your Friends," but every song is good though (even "This Is How It Should Be Done" has grown on me - maybe I just love the Eric B. & Rakim sample lol). Also it must be said that they have some of the best, most creative interludes ever; and that shows on their subsequent albums as well.

CrazySexyCool is one of the best albums of all time - not just in R&B, but any genre. Their sound here has transitioned into hip hop soul, and it already showed them maturing into... well... crazy sexy cool ladies. :) Again all the songs and interludes are great (I had a bizarre reaction to the "Sexy" interlude :lmao:) main highlights for me here are "Creep" and "Waterfalls," which I'd say is lyrically their best song, as well as the love ballads "Red Light Special" and "Take Our Time" - which shows Chilli's vocals at her best. Oh yeah "Sumthin Wicked This Way Comes" and "Switch," their remake of Prince's "If I Was Your Girlfriend" - too many great choices! :) It was this they were everywhere in 1995! I discovered them through "All That" and they were the definitive guest performers of the show.

It's too bad they didn't release anything around 1996, but some good stuff came about in that time "This Is How It Works" from Waiting To Exhale, Boz with "Touch Myself," and Left Eye on the "Not Tonight (Remix)" (her part was the best IMO).

FanMail was ahead of its time. I played this album nonstop when it came out; actually I first heard it at my cousin's house (random lol). Anyway, I loved the futuristic theme. For me, the best song on the album I definitely have to give it to "Unpretty" - it has a great message based on T-Boz's poem, and solid production work from Dallas Austin. "No Scrubs" got a little overplayed for me though - the remix with Left Eye is great though; she should've been included on the album version. Generally, the ballads are my favorites here "Come On Down," "Dear Lie," oh yeah and uptempos "Shout" and "Lovesick."

Left Eye's Supernova deserves a mention. Shame it never got released here; I love how unconventional it was. "We were dancin' all night long! We were dancin' all night long!" That can get stuck in your head easily lol "Let Me Live" and "A New Star Is Born" are my favorites though.

While not on par with the previous albums 3D is still a good album, and also bittersweet for obvious reasons. "Girl Talk," "Turntable," "Good Love," but it is "In Your Arms Tonight" that's my favorite - Neptunes' summery production is great here. I think it should've been released that summer of 2003. Wow, I can't believe it's been nearly a decade since that album came out.

The first two albums also switch for me, but I voted On The TLC Tip simply because it deserves at least one vote. ^_^ And FanMail is a SUPER close 3rd. However this is my ranking at the moment ...

1. CrazySexyCool ("Waterfalls")

2. Ooooooohhh...On The TLC Tip ("Baby-Baby-Baby")

3. FanMail ("Unpretty")

4. 3D ("In Your Arms Tonight")

That's what I thought too!

Ricky Bell = Chilli (upper register)

Mike Bivins = Left Eye (rapper)

Ronnie Devoe = T-Boz (lower register)

Something like that lol. I don't remember Mike singing solo that much though. It was usually Ricky and occasionally Ronnie - maybe I just missed certain songs. :asham:

OK you bring up a REALLY good point, I always thought 3D would've made a great summer album, like it SCREAMED summer, and it screamed 2003 for me, I really feel like they should've done it then, but 02 does mark their 10 years, but that was such a summer album that got a November release. And your right, Chilli did pull off sexy GOOOOOOOOOOOOD in that sexy interlude, I forget about that lol. But I still just always found T-Boz the sexy one, and Chilli the pretty 1, like supermodel, girl next door, popular high school cheerleader pretty/sexy. I found/find T-Boz that Janet sexy, where it's effortless, and it just oozes from her voice to her body....mmm. But I've always said all 3 of them are actually crazy, and sexy, and cool lol. so it all works, I guess lol.

I dont remember Bivins having too many singing solo's either (in both groups) but I know he did, just dont come to mind. But I would've loved at least 1 song where all 3 of TLC did some singin and hamonizing. I think they did for Somethin You Wanna Know from the 1st album, but Idk.

Oh yeah and I really love Left Eye's rapping voice on "Secret Enemy"! Most rappers sound older than their age to me but she's one of the few opposites ~ not a good or bad thing, just my view lol. And I know she sang a song I think called "Give A Little Bit" for a commercial...

I agree it would've been interesting to hear her sing more often.

They have some cute songs. Their first album is passable. The only thing worth listening to are the singles. CSC is cute, mainly for "Diggin' On You". "Waterfalls" is useless without Left Eye's rap, and "Creep" was cute as well, but Left Eye's rap was cut from the single, some group huh? Fanmail is a disorganized mess, which I guess stems from the "group" falling out and Left Eye challenging her "group" members to a sales battle. Some group huh? "No Scrubs" would be the highlight of the album if it had Left Eye's rap. But it doesn't, so the song is pretty useless, just like "Waterfalls" (Kinda shows you who was the backbone of the group, and really made the tracks what they were). There aren't any real standout album tracks, so the album aside from the flop promo single "Silly Ho", and the other singles, the album is pretty useless. 3D doesn't even deserve a mention. TLC has a few good singles, and one good album. It would have been nice to see them write their own material. They had so much going on that they could actually draw from their personal experiences - arson, sleeping with the producer, bankruptcy, falling out, etc - and really show some artistic integrity. CSC is probably their best album, but I think we can unanimously agree that TLC is the most overrated girl group of all time.

They have some cute songs. Their first album is passable. The only thing worth listening to are the singles. CSC is cute, mainly for "Diggin' On You". "Waterfalls" is useless without Left Eye's rap, and "Creep" was cute as well, but Left Eye's rap was cut from the single, some group huh? Fanmail is a disorganized mess, which I guess stems from the "group" falling out and Left Eye challenging her "group" members to a sales battle. Some group huh? "No Scrubs" would be the highlight of the album if it had Left Eye's rap. But it doesn't, so the song is pretty useless, just like "Waterfalls" (Kinda shows you who was the backbone of the group, and really made the tracks what they were). There aren't any real standout album tracks, so the album aside from the flop promo single "Silly Ho", and the other singles, the album is pretty useless. 3D doesn't even deserve a mention. TLC has a few good singles, and one good album. It would have been nice to see them write their own material. They had so much going on that they could actually draw from their personal experiences - arson, sleeping with the producer, bankruptcy, falling out, etc - and really show some artistic integrity. CSC is probably their best album, but I think we can unanimously agree that TLC is the most overrated girl group of all time.

We already went over that group, called Destiny's Child a while back. I think majority of people here and anywhere would agree that TLC is definitely underrated if anything. :coffee: