Discography Chat: TLC

jarrylf

15 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Favorite TLC Album?

• Oooooooooh...On The TLC Tip (1992)
    • Crazy,Sexy,Cool (1994)
    • Fanmail (1999)
    • 3D(2002)

...............I'm Baaaack (just needed a week of fun away from this kinda schedueled stuff)

tlc.jpg

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the 3 best girl groups in the world in my opinion will always be En Vogue, The Spice Girls, and TLC. Like the 2 previous groups, theres something sooooo special and unique about those 3 together, that can NEVER be duplicated, and they brought so much to the table each. And were in their own lane. Something unique from my standpoint about their catalog is, I'm hardly a fan of The Spice Girls 3rd album, I love EV's 3rd album to death, but it's a drop from its predecessor, but with TLC, there was no drop with FanMail, it fit PERFECTLY as a predecessor to CSC. My thoughts on the girls, T-Boz get's SUCH a bad rep from people lookin for traditional vocals. Her appeal is that her voice has that funky 1970s feel like she could've been in Parliament-Funkadelic and fit in perfectly, and she fit hip hop perfectly, the women knew/knows her sound and strengths and plays them and I aint mad at her, honestly she's my fave member of the group because she seemed to be a mix of the other 2 but with her own attitude too, the crazyness of Lisa, the sexyness of Chili (who I never thought was that sexy to begin with, pretty/beautiful yes, but not sexy, I thought T ooozed sexyness). LISA Her creativity was as strong as her rap skills and both are soooooooo needed and missed today. That chick was tooo ahead of her time, Supernova would've been MEGA in the 2010's, she was just too early wit it, I remember thinkin it sounded a mess, but no she was just ahead of what was hot at the time. And Chili, the only thing I ever really loved about her and cared about her with was her voice and her hair lol. I think she's gorgeous, and seems like a nice person, but I always found her boring compared to the other 2. She had her unique stuff too, and funniness and weirdness, but compared to the other 2.....she gets lost. BUT, her voice reminds me of Janet alot, I cant even explain that 1 to you guys if you asked but it just always has, and I love her voice with T-Boz's they harmonize really nicely, which is why they need to do more albums.

Ooooh On The TLC Tip, I.Love.This.Album. It's a great album because too me it's eclectic, it shocases the best of each of their skills and personalities, you KNOW them and what their about after that album. I can honestly say I love 90% of that album, the only song I dont like is "This Is How It Should Be Done" I LOVE the rest, and can honestly play it from beginning to end, and only have to skip 1 song, even tho sometimes I just dont, cause it's alright, but I just dont really care for it. My standout choices would be AINT TO PROUD TO BEG (LOVES IT), Shock Dat Monkey, What About Your Friends(OFCOURSE), Baby Baby Baby (Ofcourse), His-Story(UNDERRATED), Hat 2 Da Back, & Das Da Way We Like Em, I LOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVE that all 3 of them rap'd on this track, and thought T-Boz was great (and maybe she should've done it a lil more), and thought Chilli was WHACK! But she fit the song.

Crazy, Sexy, Cool. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROWTH is a beautiful thing, and they and their image showed it very well. Tho honestly I wouldnt've minded another album with the OOTTT style, but they evolved so fast, and the quality for this album is the best in my opinion, it has peeks of that playful crazy TLC but it has so much more sophistication and sexyness. CRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEP IS MY EVERYTHING, probably my favorite song of their career, and shows that I'm a huge T-Boz fan lol, nah scratch that, it's my 2nd fave song of their career, I'll get to my 1st....pretty sure that wont be a suprise. I love Waterfalls but it gets played sooo much (song & video) that it kinda get's on my nerves unless I need it that day, but I know all the words ofcourse and that backing music is great, love the horns. Red Light Special, has Babyface ALLLLLL over it, but they are so god damn sexy when they sing dat song woooo, lawd. I also love Diggin The Scene, LET's DO IT AGAIN (SOOOOO UNDERATED, should've been a single, good follow up to RLS), SWITCH (great song), And Sumthin Wicked Comes Thsi Way (love this song and meaning soooo much, and Andre gives it another boost)

Fanmail, Love the album so damn much. Again, more growth, and it was so fuckin different, I think they started the big electronic thing that was going around at that time, like if they werent the 1st, they werent far from it I know that. No Scrubs is definitely my fave song by them, I wish it wasnt something So predictable, but when that song comes on.....that song is just great, and always was. My problem with that era tho was the disconnect, you could see it, and you could here it soooooooo easily. I really wish they remained as tight as they were when they 1st started, but this era they werent as tight for whatever reasons. The music was great but it didnt hide it too well in my opinion for the most part. Anyway my picks for this album besides No Scrubs are definitely Silly Ho, Good At Being Bad (a direct copy of Whatabout but I aint mad at them, they made it their own), Fanmail, My Life, and Dear Lie. I like Unpretty alot, but I like the remix with Lisa WAYYYYYYYY more.

3D, SUCH a tragically underrated album. But the trouble was they clearly didnt have a sold image or sound to the album, it was definitely more eclectic than their previous work but there was no direction there, the only thing they had to go on was it being Lisa's last work with them, and her death. My standout tracks from this album are definitely 3D, Quickie, GirlTalk, In Your Arms Tonight, OVER ME (HOTTTNESS), Damaged, and GOOOD LOVE(OMG this song gives me JANET, and I love Kandi doing the background vocals, and I just love this song all together, it's in my top 5, and the only song without Lisa to be there)

I really wish they speant more time making music than they did, and had more to show for the hard work they did, and they have ALOT to show, but 2 more albums in the 90's (and accepting Lisa's Challenge) would've done nicely with their discography and achievements. BUT alas, what's done is done, and they are mega because of the music they do have, and it's not alot, but how far it's taken them says alot. I will also add I hate that they quit after Lisa passed, I personally dont like that because tho they are legends, why not continue on and keep that name TLC alive and out there for a new generation (or 2) to enjoy, to me it does not do Lisa justice (same for Run DMC) its not keeping what she put so much of her life and love and creativity into alive, it's burying it next to her, but thats my opinion, just 1 fan, I never had the pleasure to meet or get to know Lisa, or either of the other 2 (yet, wink).

Honorable Mentions: Get It Up, is in my top 3 of their songs as a fave, I love all 3 of them on it equally. I LOVE Sleigh Ride, I play that shit whenever I want, like last week lol, Oh and the All That Theme Song, LOVES IT

My ranking

1.Crazy,Sexy,Cool

2.Ooooohhh.... On The TLC Tip

3.Fanmail

4.3D

• Upvote 1

I love all their albums and agree with you every point except that I think that 3D is a lot stronger than fanmail. Turntable, Good Love, over me, hands up, damaged....all great tracks. That album just didn't have a standout like fanmail did with no scrubs, but on the whole it's a lot more solid.

Thats cool. Trust when 3D first came out I thought it shat all over fanmail, and track wise I do like more songs from 3D than I do Fanmail, but yea we're on 2 different pages when it comes to the directions, because I think 3D did have standout tracks (Over Me, & Good Love in my opinion) but I think they didnt have a solid look or sound for 3D, wheres Fanmail REALLY played had a look and sound for the era. But I cant really fault them with that because it was Lisa's 2nd biggest contribution to the group.

But all in all it's REALLLLLLY easy for me to see how someone puts 3D over Fanmail, I did for like.......7yrs actually, yea I only re-discovered Fanmail in 09, and saw what all the fuss was about aside from No Scrubs. But alas I do still like more songs from 3D, but Fanmail overall gets a higher position also because I liked that era way more

I have to say, I did love silly ho from fanmail! I just wish Lisa contributed more to their work over all. There was no reason she couldn't have sang vocals as well as rapped because from what I heard her singing voice was ok.

• Upvote 1

TLC is my 3rd fav artist after Janet and brandy...I know crazysexycool is their most successful album and I love it but I voted for Fanmail...I know that album inside out back and forth add libs and all...I used to perform the entire album in my room as if I was putting on a concert. I love tlc and chili is my boo thang

TLC remind me of teenage years. Like Janet, they were trendsetters and very much relevant in the 90's. I remember girls copying their style sooooo hard. But it was the music that will be remembered. The uniqueness and individuality of each member to come as a whole is awe inspiring. Each member had their own "swag" and it worked as a whole. T-Boz' raspy vocals and Left Eye's rapping meshed very well. I suppose you can say that Chili was the "vocalist" of the group, but her voice was tolerable. I'm glad that she got to shine on several songs. They are my favorite girl group because they were original and trendsetting.

I don't have a favorite song by TLC. It's damn near impossible to try and narrow down to one. CSC is my fave because it just brings back memories. It was the grown up TLC and they reinvented their sound and image from spunky girls to mature women. Some non-track standouts on that album like "Take Our Time" and "Let's Do It Again" are some of my fave songs.

I was obsessed with "FanMail" when it came out. I had just came back from Korea and "No Scrubs" was blowing up. I played that album out! "Don't Pull Out Of Me Yet" was one of my favorite songs from that album. It had an old school vibe and of course the lyrical content was..interesting. :shifty: A great follow-up to CSC, despite all the drama they had going on. Dallas Austin showed his ass on that album.

3D suffered from the passing of Left Eye. A great album, but it just wasn't the same after Left Eye died. It still had some great songs like "Damaged" and "Give It To Me While It's Hot".

My ranking:

CrazySexyCool

Fanmail

3D

Ooooohhh.... On The TLC Tip

1. Fanmail - Silly Ho, Come On Down, Shout & My Life

2. CrazySexyCool - TAKE OUR TIME!!!!, If I Was Your Girlfriend, Let's Do It Again & Creep

3. 3D - In Your Arms Tonight, Good Love, Hands Up & Over Me

4. OOTTLCT - all the singles

My fav is always changing, one day it's Ooooohhh.... On The TLC Tip the other it's CSC. I love all their albums but i never play Fanmail all that much

3D is VERY slept on, people like to bash that album but it has some great jams like Damaged, So So Dumb, Turntables, Girls Talk etc. I love that album

Y'all gon stop dissing my Chilli I know that much!

They really need to. :filenails:

Vocally she was the strongest member of the group. Her voice usually carried the hook and the bridge. T-boz had the verses. But it was Chilli's voice that brought it all home. She slayed on the last part of "red light special", "what about your friends" and "baby". Plus she was the prettiest and her hair was giving bitches life! :excited:

So the shade needs to cease. :coffee:

Vocally she was the strongest member of the group. Her voice usually carried the hook and the bridge. T-boz had the verses. But it was Chilli's voice that brought it all home. She slayed on the last part of "red light special", "what about your friends" and "baby". Plus she was the prettiest and her hair was giving bitches life! :excited:

Co-Signs allllllll of this!!!!!!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

BUT she was the "normal-ish" 1 out of 2 above normal personalities, ofcoures she's gone get shaded lol, I love her, but shit, she's always 3rd place in that group for me (hell my order is T-L-C lol).

I do have to say I do badly wish that they showcased Lisa singing more, the same way I wish they had T rappin more. TLC is like the female BellBivDeVoe, but BBD.... all 3 sang...often, 2 of them rapped even tho 1 of them was the resident rapper. There were alot of things to them I wish they polished more or showed more of, and that abobe is about it.

i was mad there was never a video for silly ho ugh and the dear lie video was only seen overseas wasnt it?...i remember seeing it when i was in germany...3D was slept on...so much potiential...every time i hear britnay spears hit me baby one more time i think about TLC cause it was written for them but turned it down...you can tell who's part would have been who's