jarrylf

15 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Favorite TLC Album?

• Oooooooooh...On The TLC Tip (1992)
    • Crazy,Sexy,Cool (1994)
    • Fanmail (1999)
    • 3D(2002)

Naw it's definitely TLC.

Yea the majority here and most places would definitely disagree, I mean exactly why is it that the ONLY time TLC gets any shade or disrespect thrown their way it seems to almost always be from pressed Bey/DC fans.....interesting

And with the many issues they had/have, they still never replaced anyone without even telling them until a video premiered, I mean ugh.....thats just dirty.

They have some cute songs. Their first album is passable. The only thing worth listening to are the singles. CSC is cute, mainly for "Diggin' On You". "Waterfalls" is useless without Left Eye's rap, and "Creep" was cute as well, but Left Eye's rap was cut from the single, some group huh? Fanmail is a disorganized mess, which I guess stems from the "group" falling out and Left Eye challenging her "group" members to a sales battle. Some group huh? "No Scrubs" would be the highlight of the album if it had Left Eye's rap. But it doesn't, so the song is pretty useless, just like "Waterfalls" (Kinda shows you who was the backbone of the group, and really made the tracks what they were). There aren't any real standout album tracks, so the album aside from the flop promo single "Silly Ho", and the other singles, the album is pretty useless. 3D doesn't even deserve a mention. TLC has a few good singles, and one good album. It would have been nice to see them write their own material. They had so much going on that they could actually draw from their personal experiences - arson, sleeping with the producer, bankruptcy, falling out, etc - and really show some artistic integrity. CSC is probably their best album, but I think we can unanimously agree that TLC is the most overrated girl group of all time.

h3iMU.gif

Not this black Australian.

• Upvote 2

Yea the majority here and most places would definitely disagree, I mean exactly why is it that the ONLY time TLC gets any shade or disrespect thrown their way it seems to almost always be from pressed Bey/DC fans.....interesting

And with the many issues they had/have, they still never replaced anyone without even telling them until a video premiered, I mean ugh.....thats just dirty.

Naw it's definitely TLC. If you look at all of the girl groups of the time - Xscape, SWV, Destiny's Child, EnVogue, Spice Girls, and Brownstone - TLC was DEFINITELY the least talented. None of them had exceptional vocal talent (or any type of exceptional talent), they didn't write their music, so they all had pretty much everything handed to them. Their appeal was bigger than their talent. Then people turn around and put them on a pedestal as if they're the quintessential girl group.

h3iMU.gif

Not this black Australian.

BIIIIIIIIITCH! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Naw it's definitely TLC. If you look at all of the girl groups of the time - Xscape, SWV, Destiny's Child, EnVogue, Spice Girls, and Brownstone - TLC was DEFINITELY the least talented. None of them had exceptional vocal talent (or any type of exceptional talent), they didn't write their music, so they all had pretty much everything handed to them. Their appeal was bigger than their talent. Then people turn around and put them on a pedestal as if they're the quintessential girl group.

BIIIIIIIIITCH! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

bullshit! TLC is the biggest selling girl group of all time...they did play a role in writing their music, and an exceptional vocal talent is determined by the listener (everyone doesnt like yelling) they had messages and they delivered them!

bullshit! TLC is the biggest selling girl group of all time...

No they're not.

they did play a role in writing their music,

Lisa wrote her raps, Tionne wrote "Unpretty", what else is there? :unsure:

and an exceptional vocal talent is determined by the listener (everyone doesnt like yelling)

Exceptional vocal talent is based on vocal pedagogy and music theory, not the listener.

they had messages and they delivered them!

UPS or FedEx? :unsure:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Sorry, but that seems to be just your opinion. LOFL and none of them were really trying to have "exceptional" vocal talent, but they had better songs than groups and artist who did. Again, I cant trust a Bey fan's opinion on this group, because well.....it's not coming from the best place. Their vocal appeal was that T-Boz had a unique 70's funk voice, Chili had the average singers tone, and Lisa was the rapper LOFL thats it, thats all anyone cares about, comparing them to any of the groups you listed is a fail, because they were never trying to be like them. They had great music, they were original, and they had/have great individual personalities,they are talented, and they are desservingly on that pedestal. :yahoo::coffee:

Sorry, but that seems to be just your opinion. LOFL and none of them were really trying to have "exceptional" vocal talent, but they had better songs than groups and artist who did. Again, I cant trust a Bey fan's opinion on this group, because well.....it's not coming from the best place. Their vocal appeal was that T-Boz had a unique 70's funk voice, Chili had the average singers tone, and Lisa was the rapper LOFL thats it, thats all anyone cares about, comparing them to any of the groups you listed is a fail, because they were never trying to be like them. They had great music, they were original, and they had/have great individual personalities,they are talented, and they are desservingly on that pedestal. :yahoo::coffee:

U muthafukaz. :lmao:

2dnuyx.gif

None of them were trying to have exceptional vocal talent, because none of them had it. Chilli had a limited vocal range, and Tionne's timbre wouldn't allow her to sing beyond the contralto range, which she struggled to do anyway. Lisa was definitely the most talented out of the group. Her raps made "Waterfalls" and "No Scrubs" what they were. Hell she even had the best verse on Lil Kim's "Not Tonight" and she wrote that. They had some good songs, but they weren't the best of the best. They were just catchy, and they didn't really have any competition because they were marketed to the R&B and Pop audiences, something the girl groups prior to them didn't have. That's why they were big like they were.

No they're not.

Lisa wrote her raps, Tionne wrote "Unpretty", what else is there? :unsure:

Exceptional vocal talent is based on vocal pedagogy and music theory, not the listener.

UPS or FedEx? :unsure:

In the US TLC is the biggest selling girl group boy!Off the top of my head they wrote over me, I miss you...I dont have my booklets in front of me...but they did do some writing

None of them were trying to have exceptional vocal talent, because none of them had it. Chilli had a limited vocal range, and Tionne's timbre wouldn't allow her to sing beyond the contralto range, which she struggled to do anyway. Lisa was definitely the most talented out of the group. Her raps made "Waterfalls" and "No Scrubs" what they were. Hell she even had the best verse on Lil Kim's "Not Tonight" and she wrote that. They had some good songs, but they weren't the best of the best. They were just catchy, and they didn't really have any competition because they were marketed to the R&B and Pop audiences, something the girl groups prior to them didn't have. That's why they were big like they were.

T-Boz can sing either high or low but JD convinced her that singing in that register was the best way to go because no one else could do it and it made them stand out

Chilli has song writing credits on all 4 albums, T-Boz has more credits than Unpretty (I'm Good At Being Bad,If They Knew, Shout, Dear Lie, Quickie,Girl Talk,Turntable,Damaged,So So Dumb,) so to imply that they didnt write their own stuff is wrong, and even if none of them wrote a single track on any of their albums, they still had songs that slayed and they still were a great group. The list of singers/legends who dont and havent written their songs, or hits is not short, so what's the big deal? Theres artist and groups who write all of their own stuff but wont get as far as some artist who dont.

In the US TLC is the biggest selling girl group boy!Off the top of my head they wrote over me, I miss you...I dont have my booklets in front of me...but they did do some writing

No the Dixie Chicks are the best selling in the US, globally TLC is third behind the Spice Icons and Destiny's Disciples.

I'm well aware. I have the Fanmail CD. I used to have CSC as well but I have no clue what happened to it. TLC didn't write 10% of their catalog. Dallas Austin, Babyface, and someone else wrote just about all of CSC, Dallas Austin pretty much wrote Fanmail himself, and their first album was written by a number of writers, I forget who, but I believe Dallas Austin did that too. IDK about their fourth album nobody bought.

T-Boz can sing either high or low but JD convinced her that singing in that register was the best way to go because no one else could do it and it made them stand out

T-Boz can sing, but she has a limited vocal range. She doesn't have much of a range, and her tone will not allow her to sing beyond contralto. She'd be straining her voice to attempt soprano. She was told to sing lower-mid range because her voice was husky, and it gave the tracks she sang lead on a more R&B sound, versus Chilli who had the pop voice.

No the Dixie Chicks are the best selling in the US, globally TLC is third behind the Spice Icons and Destiny's Disciples.

I'm well aware. I have the Fanmail CD. I used to have CSC as well but I have no clue what happened to it. TLC didn't write 10% of their catalog. Dallas Austin, Babyface, and someone else wrote just about all of CSC, Dallas Austin pretty much wrote Fanmail himself, and their first album was written by a number of writers, I forget who, but I believe Dallas Austin did that too. IDK about their fourth album nobody bought.

T-Boz can sing, but she has a limited vocal range. She doesn't have much of a range, and her tone will not allow her to sing beyond contralto. She'd be straining her voice to attempt soprano. She was told to sing lower-mid range because her voice was husky, and it gave the tracks she sang lead on a more R&B sound, versus Chilli who had the pop voice.

2. TLC

United States

55 million[3]

R&B/Hip Hop

3 → 2

1991–2003, 2008–present (18 years)

3. Destiny's Child

United States

50 million[4]

R&B

4 → 3

1997–2005 (9 years)

:lol: Oh it's so funny because I say the same EXACT thing about Destiny's Child, but unlike them, TLC also had substance, and carried the Safe Sex Message during the time when it was new and needed. LOL You say Tionne struggled I say she slayed, she's proven she has a upper and lower register to her voice, all in Red Light Special alone :lol: Um actually Lisa's raps didnt make those songs, the Hook for both did, Lisa's raps for both only contributed to the greatness, I mean it's noticeable when radio cuts them, but both raps are at the end of the song (wheres with Not Tonight, she was only the 3rd rapper in line) but when people play clips of both of those songs on commercials for mix CD's and when people sing the songs, they sing the chorus, not Lisa's raps lol. Oh and they did have competition, En Vogue was also marketed on both sides (pop & R&B), TLC also catered to the kid audience, but unlike another group that did, they gave them a endless supply of messeges to learn from in their music. :good: