How many of you have moved to another city?

Bailey

I have for college. I'm almost 600 miles from the family and will be moving twice to three times that next year if things go how I want.

Scared? Not one bit. I love the change of scene and it's a good thing to do that when you can. Yes, you miss the people back home if they don't move with you but sometimes you just need a fresh start or to experience something new or find a place that suits you and your style as opposed to just staying put where your family has always been. There's plenty of means of communication to keep up with the people you love.

I'm here on my own. All new people. Not familiar with a single soul here.

Bottom line: If you aren't happy where you are or just want/need a change, when you get everything in order go ahead and move. Take on a whole new scene. Sometimes in life you need a change like that for a variety of reasons.

• Upvote 1

I have for college. I'm almost 600 miles from the family and will be moving twice to three times that next semester if things go how I want.

Scared? Not one bit. I love the change of scene and it's a good thing to do that when you can. Yes, you miss the people back home if they don't move with you but sometimes you just need a fresh start or to experience something new or find a place that suits you and your style as opposed to just staying put where your family has always been. There's plenty of means of communication to keep up with the people you love.

I'm here on my own. All new people. Not familiar with a single soul here.

Bottom line: If you aren't happy where you are or just want/need a change, when you get everything in order go ahead and move. Take on a whole new scene. Sometimes in life you need a change like that for a variety of reasons.

I'm ready to relocate and start fresh I have a degree already so I should be able to get a job, but I would like a decent place, I don't like rude people :filenails:

I'm ready to relocate and start fresh I have a degree already so I should be able to get a job, but I would like a decent place, I don't like rude people :filenails:

What do you like to be around as far as community and surroundings are concerned? What suits best to you? No place will be perfect of course, but answering these kinds of questions and getting as close as you can to that is a great start.

does the military count? :unsure:

very much even more so, I am told from what I have heard "Military brats" are the kids of parents who are in the service, they move often and have to start new schools and friends, its often harder for them. In your case as a grown man, it still counts because the idea behind this thread is having the balls to get up and make a move for a better life when shit aint right, so yes it counts.

I moved from NJ to Ft Laud when I was 19 for college.

Moved back to NJ after college

Moved to NYC from NJ.

Moved to Atlanta from NYC

Are you planning on moving ?

I almost want to say college does not count, because when you are young and stupid they ship you off to school where most kids fuck up end back home at a community college, because in reality this was not a true conscious and calculated decision by you it was more like "Oh I get to live in a dorm!" I am talking about mature adults making the choice to leave behind all they know for the chance at something better. In your case Moving from Atlanta from NYC counts very much. I cannot entirely discount NYC from NJ because that's all kinda east coast, but it's still a big move considering the stakes. I'm talking about all my fucking people that left Michigan and live in fucking Texas now.

I mean packed up for greener pastures, I'm not talking like a 20 min move I mean you bounced like 500 miles. Were you scared? Did you move with a friend or family? Did you move without knowing anyone there? I'm kinda scared but I need to get out of here.

Well, I'm gonna share my moving story anyways. :filenails:

I moved about an hour away for university, but have stayed put ever since. ^_^

It felt really good to initially just get away from home. Then as I started making my life here, it just started to feel right.

I live downtown and have like 2 friends who live here who I rarely see anymore, and the rest are uptown. So sometimes it's a pretty independent/loner life that I lead.

• Upvote 1

It felt really good to initially just get away from home. Then as I started making my life here, it just started to feel right.

I live downtown and have like 2 friends who live here who I rarely see anymore, and the rest are uptown, so sometimes it's a pretty independent/loner life that I lead. :asham:

fine, back in 2007 gas had hit over 4 bucks a gallon, my commute to work was an hour to and from everyday, and since I had been laid off for months I had become accustom to getting a check without having to get off my ass, so when they called me back to work the last thing I wanted to do was drive an hour in heavy traffic to work. So inspired by some White boy on youtube who seems to live everywhere and has a wonderful life, bruthas can be so delusional :sigh: I said to myself if he can move to Australia and live for a few months I can move to a suburb of Detroit an hour south of me. I got an apartment easily because I was making money up the ass. It wasn't a lascivious spot because I wasn't diving into the water I was just dipping my toes in. IN short I hated it there, I was alone all the time, I'm an introvert and I just hated being there in that small apartment alone. On the bright side my sex life kicked into high gear i had more boy ass down there than I would ever have back home, I actually had to turn some down. :filenails:

I live downtown and have like 2 friends who live here who I rarely see anymore, and the rest are uptown. So sometimes it's a pretty independent/loner life that I lead.

depending on where you are an hour can make a huge difference, unforgettably Michigan pretty much sucks I told Japtok don't come here glad he didnt :sigh:

I almost want to say college does not count, because when you are young and stupid they ship you off to school where most kids fuck up end back home at a community college, because in reality this was not a true conscious and calculated decision by you it was more like "Oh I get to live in a dorm!" I am talking about mature adults making the choice to leave behind all they know for the chance at something better. In your case Moving from Atlanta from NYC counts very much. I cannot entirely discount NYC from NJ because that's all kinda east coast, but it's still a big move considering the stakes. I'm talking about all my fucking people that left Michigan and live in fucking Texas now.

:lol:

Those were good times, though. -_- I got a meal plan and a bed to go back to between classes. -_-

fine, back in 2007 gas had hit over 4 bucks a gallon, my commute to work was an hour to and from everyday, and since I had been laid off for months I had become accustom to getting a check without having to get off my ass, so when they called me back to work the last thing I wanted to do was drive an hour in heavy traffic to work. So inspired by some White boy on youtube who seems to live everywhere and has a wonderful life, bruthas can be so delusional :sigh: I said to myself if he can move to Australia and live for a few months I can move to a suburb of Detroit an hour south of me. I got an apartment easily because I was making money up the ass. It wasn't a lascivious spot because I wasn't diving into the water I was just dipping my toes in. IN short I hated it there, I was alone all the time, I'm an introvert and I just hated being there in that small apartment alone. On the bright side my sex life kicked into high gear i had more boy ass down there than I would ever have back home, I actually had to turn some down. :filenails:

:sigh:

Do you mean you're an extrovert...? Or are you saying even though you're an introvert, you didn't like being alone all the time?

I've found that a lot of people here do things alone a lot, like going to the movies. I've been doing that more lately, and I was surprised to see so many other people alone in the theatre. lol It made me a lot less self conscious and more comfortable being by myself.

depending on where you are an hour can make a huge difference, unforgettably Michigan pretty much sucks I told Japtok don't come here glad he didnt :sigh:

I'm from a smaller city and moved to a bigger city, so it was definitely a significant change.

Those were good times, though. -_- I got a meal plan and a bed to go back to between classes. -_-

Do you mean you're an extrovert...? Or are you saying even though you're an introvert, you didn't like being alone all the time?

I am an introvert I wish I could pull up the thread we did on personalities. Most of us here are, surprisingly most of us took the test. There are two extroverts here Ralphie and Pie, and Pie hasn't been here in over a year if not more. I had a cousin he moved into a dorm right here at fucking home :sigh: his mom, my aunt paid for him to live that dorm life, this dummy and some other dummy horsing around broke a 600 dollar glass door in the brand new dorms, so he got put out. Stupid :umm:

I've found that a lot of people here do things alone a lot, like going to the movies. I've been doing that more lately, and I was surprised to see so many other people alone in the theatre. lol It made me a lot less self conscious and more comfortable being by myself.

I'm from a smaller city and moved to a bigger city, so it was definitely a significant change.

well I think that's what we all kinda want, I don't want to live in some big ass city like LA, I am scared of heights and the freeways are supposed to be really huge, when I visited Dallas the freeways there kinda had me panicking, like oh shit that's kinda high we taking that? Ima close my eyes you take the wheel.

I will and have gone to many many movies alone, if I waited for a friend or someone I would never see a movie, and I have pretty eclectic tastes so I can't get everyone I would know to go see Brokeback Mountain in a small theater if they are Black lesbians. I have gone to the bar and sat alone just to have a beer before a movie and I love to people watch.

I moved 9 hours away to attend culinary school.

I do plan to move again next year...and quite possibly I might move to Uruguay for work

Out of the country is exciting :excited: You are making moves that are in line with my thread, moves intended to change your life for "greener pastures"

Out of the country is exciting :excited: You are making moves that are in line with my thread, moves intend to change your life for "greener pastures"

I have an opportunity to go to Spain as well

mind you I will be moving for a few months. I would love to stay at either one for long term, but my parents are getting older and we still have a ranch to upkeep. So I would be going for a short while

few questions then, were any of them scary? How old are you? and why Seattle to VA?

The scariest move was moving from Seattle to DC. I was starting college and moving 3000 miles away but I adjusted after a few days. I went back to Seattle after college and then found a job right outside of DC in Alexandria so I moved back to this side. So technically I'm still in the DC metropolitan area. Oh and 24

• Upvote 1

The scariest move was moving from Seattle to DC. I was starting college and moving 3000 miles away but I adjusted after a few days. I went back to Seattle after college and then found a job right outside of DC in Alexandria so I moved back to this side. So technically I'm still in the DC metropolitan area. Oh and 24

young, the younger you are the easier it is because you don't know any better. But it's always refreshing to see young Black men who are successful, around here all the White guys are but not many young Blacks stay here, they graduate and leave, I know people that left two weeks after graduating.

:umm: