Janet's film career

feehgarcia

As a Black man I give props to those in film that can make things happen when so many talented Black actors and actresses are not working. Having said that, I hate Tyler Perry movies they are the most contrived dribble of shit you can sit thru, its coonery at its finest, I saw Tyler present at the Oscars and I thought thats cute he wont ever win one :filenails:

He has his own studio, own company etc.  The one thing he has yet to do is let someone else direct or write a film.  Its like he has to be the writer and producer for everything.  He needs to not just open the doors up for black actors but for directors, producers and writers. 

• Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...

If Janet signed onto Xmen or the Matrix, would she have signed a contract stating that she has to do the sequels? 

I think the part she was offered was eventually given to Jada Smith so it was the sequel to The Matrix. At that point, it was a planned trilogy. So she would have been contractually obligated to film the third as well. 

As for X-Men, it's possible there could have been something in the contract. But unlikely that she would be obligated to do it (as the sequel would be dependent on the success of the film, which was uncertain).

Edited by xoney
  • Upvote 1

I feel like Janet was smart for turning both down. The Storm character in the movies was kind of universally panned, and the matrix sequels were not well received. Frankly I think Jan dodged a bullet (or stopped it with her mind in slow motion? -_-) 

Hardly. The roles that Janet has actually taken are far worse. Less lucrative, and even less well received. 

I think the part she was offered was eventually given to Jada Smith so it was the sequel to The Matrix. At that point, it was a planned trilogy. So she would have been contractually obligated to film the third. 

As for X-Men, it's possible there could have been something in the contract. But unlikely that she would be obligated to do it (as the sequel would be dependent on the success of the film, which was uncertain).

Im glad she didnt do those projects because it could have been harsh on her, those films have huge followings and I dont want to hear about "Janet Jackson" this and that :sigh:

Im glad she didnt do those projects because it could have been harsh on her, those films have huge followings and I dont want to hear about "Janet Jackson" this and that :sigh:

Yeah, that's true. Especially since Janet is a weak actress. 

She was better in Poetic Justice and her child roles though. I think Poetic Justice was the only "smart" choice she made. 

Edited by xoney
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

She was better in Poetic Justice and her child roles though. I think Poetic Justice was the only "smart" choice she made. 

well its not about being a weak actress, Im saying its hard for music icons to seperate their on stage image with an entirely different one. I think Janet would have killed Lena Horne and Eartha Kitt

Janet's not an awful actress... I would put her on above Halle Berry.. She just hasn't had a solid script at all since 2000..   

Edited by Game
  • Upvote 1

uh ok ...

lol The Matrix 2, X-men 1,2&3 > Why Did I get married, Nutty Professor 2... 

We both know I don't need to get the receipts out lmao.

IMO, nothing can ever be more "universally panned" than a Tyler perry movie.

Edited by xoney

Janet's not an awful actress... I would put her on above Halle Berry.. She just hasn't had a solid script at all since 2000..   

I know she's not...

but Halle Berry is *just* an actress, Janet has the added weight of separating her character from Janet Jackson, the music superstar.

• Upvote 2

well its not about being a weak actress, Im saying its hard for music icons to seperate their on stage image with an entirely different one. I think Janet would have killed Lena Horne and Eartha Kitt

But that's my point. It's difficult for music stars to separate the two... primarily because most of them are bad actors. 

No doubt Janet is better than most. But she is a passable actress, at best.

Edited by xoney
  • Downvote 1

Look at Dame Helen Mirren in "Red." -_- 

Helen was amazing in "Shadowboxer" directed by Lee Daniels.  I still want Janet to do a film with Lee! Then Janet should concentrate on doing a biopic on an amazing actress close to her age now.  Janet playing Eartha Kitt is still filled with many possibilities if Janet were to play her from the age of 40 until she passed away.....there's so much substance in Eartha's final years just as much as her beginning years. 

• Upvote 3

Personally I think Janet is passable at best as well. She can't touch Halle Berry, so I won't go there - I think Janet's soft spoken & distinctive voice is a barrier to her range & also can make certain things unbelievable cinematically. 

I think her as Ertha Kitt would have been very dope, & unfortunately I think she would have pulled off the look of Dorothy Dandridge but not given it the same weight that Halle did. So it might be good she missed some of those roles. Poetic Justice is a cult classic & she really did a good job with it. 

Me personally I think Janet did a GREAT job in Why Did I Get Married Too? I think of all her acting roles that movie showed the most range for her character specifically. She was even believable the whole way through. So no complaints about that one. The others I think just fall into that Tyler Perry stigma. 

Id definitely be down for Janet as a Pixar character & doing a fun song like an Enjoy or something. That's a very good direction. 

Personally I think Janet is passable at best as well. She can't touch Halle Berry, so I won't go there - I think Janet's soft spoken & distinctive voice is a barrier to her range & also can make certain things unbelievable cinematically. 

I think her as Ertha Kitt would have been very dope, & unfortunately I think she would have pulled off the look of Dorothy Dandridge but not given it the same weight that Halle did. So it might be good she missed some of those roles. Poetic Justice is a cult classic & she really did a good job with it. 

Me personally I think Janet did a GREAT job in Why Did I Get Married Too? I think of all her acting roles that movie showed the most range for her character specifically. She was even believable the whole way through. So no complaints about that one. The others I think just fall into that Tyler Perry stigma. 

Id definitely be down for Janet as a Pixar character & doing a fun song like an Enjoy or something. That's a very good direction. 

Ive always thought this...

Even though i think WDIGM2 is the worst film she has ever done, i often forget that she wasnt that bad in it. She was given so little to work with, but i always thought she was great in the scene when she is broken, crying with the other girls. Then i remember the stripper/car crash scene and i cringe.

• Upvote 1

It killed any momentum the ending could had had but To be fair, Janet didn't write that scene. She was just acting (fairly well imo)

Cant help but think that scene was one of the adjustments made to the film following Michaels passing.  Who knows what that film could have been...

• 2 weeks later...