27 Dead Including Shooter, 20 Children 7 adults

Bailey

We have learned that Connecticut police have searched the suspected gunman's home and place of employment in the wake of Friday's mass shooting, Connecticut State Police Lt. Paul Vance told CNN's Wolf Blitzer.

They have also interviewed his friends, relatives and "everyone who possibly had any connection with him whatsoever," he said.

[updated at 4:11 p.m. ET] Police did not discharge their weapons at any time when responding at the school, police spokesman Lt. Paul Vance told CNN's Wolf Blitzer. However, he could not confirm whether the suspected shooter - who died at the scene - killed himself, saying that would have to be determined by the medical examiner.

[updated at 4:07 p.m. ET] Mark Kelly, who's lived through this kind of horror, has issued a statement. He's the husband of former Congresswoman Gabby Giffords who was shot in the head at a massacre in Tucson, Arizona, in January 2011. Here's what he said:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/14/shooting-reported-at-connecticut-elementary-school/?hpt=hp_t1

Mike Huckabee: Newtown Shooting No Surprise, We've 'Systematically Removed God' From Schools

Former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee ® weighed in on the massacre at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn. on Friday, saying the crime was no surprise because we have "systematically removed God" from public schools.

"We ask why there is violence in our schools, but we have systematically removed God from our schools," Huckabee said on Fox News. "Should we be so surprised that schools would become a place of carnage?"

This line of reasoning isn't new for Huckabee.

Speaking about a mass shooting in Aurora, Colo. over the summer, the former GOP presidential candidate claimed that such violent episodes were a function of a nation suffering from the removal of religion from the public sphere.

"We don't have a crime problem, a gun problem or even a violence problem. What we have is a sin problem," Huckabee said on Fox News. "And since we've ordered God out of our schools, and communities, the military and public conversations, you know we really shouldn't act so surprised ... when all hell breaks loose."

http://www.huffingto..._n_2303792.html

Is this really the time to harp about religion? The gunman was mentally ill.

Is this really the time to harp about religion? The gunman was mentally ill.

To answer your question... Religion has nothing to do with what happened.. Never has never will.. From the hate crimes in the south 40 years ago, to the shootings in CT... Religion is not the solution or included in the problem.. Huckabee is a fool.. When religion was implemented in public sphere, we had slavery... Lets not turn back time.

Mentally ill? If he was foreign its a terrorist attack, if he was from the south, hate-crime, if he were black, menace... But since he's white, mentally unstable.. "Mentally ill".. I'm not here for lies

The children and their families.. Are in my thoughts and heart.. This is a sick crime and nothing can justify shooting innocent children... Nothing.. Time will heal all wounds..

• Upvote 7

What a sick world we live in where innocent children are murdered like this :cry: Whether the guy was mentally ill or not, we do need a revamp on the mental health treatment in this country as well as tighter gun control laws. Huckabee is a total idiot for that statement but it's not as if we could expect him to say otherwise. Not to mention the fact that there are tons of religious fundies who would say the same thing about this. This was absolutely sick and no religion could help this. At all. Their belief doesn't matter here. The innocent lives lost do. My heart, thoughts and love goes out to those children and the families of all those who lost someone that day. Hopefully their pain will heal one day.

Look at this master piece by TOF https://www.youtube....h?v=UDKUcV73aO4

So hauntingly appropriate.

I live right here in CT. Some black kids were just shot up up here the other day........ not a single media camera to be found. Its a great tragedy on both sides but I had to get that off my chest

Shot up on the street or school? Because there is a difference

Plus middle-white-America is a tragedy.. Black ghettos is a war.. You lived here 20+ years.. You should know how the media works

• Upvote 1

I really dont know what we believe can be done about the mentally ill here because theres not much that can be done. We know there are people out here not well but theres so much shame associated with mental illness we just dont talk about it until this kinda thing happens

There's nothing that can be done for him being autistic or having Aspergers... literally, nothing... and people with aspergers have a difficult time with human interaction and having empathy... it wasn't the motive but not having those basic human traits would allow for this to happen

but there is no link to autism and violence behavior

Names of victims in Connecticut shooting released

b3fd6268a9591761b76e6cf9cc62e1_h366_w650_m6_lfalse.jpg

Authorities have released the names of the victims in the Connecticut school shootings.

Connecticut officials released on Saturday the identities of the 20 children and six adults killed in the mass shooting at a suburban elementary school in Newtown.

The state's chief medical examiner also confirmed that the gunman's mother, a twenty-seventh victim, was shot dead by her son in a related incident. The gunman took his own life.

RELATED: President Obama to attend memorial in Newtown on Sunday

Those killed at the school were 12 girls, eight boys and six female adults. They are listed below by name, date of birth (mm/dd/yy), gender and age.

CHILDREN

Charlotte Bacon, 2/22/06, female (age 6)

Daniel Barden, 9/25/05, male (age 7)

Olivia Engel, 7/18/06, female (age 6)

Josephine Gay, 12/11/05, female (age 7)

Ana M. Marquez-Greene, 04/04/06, female (age 6)

Dylan Hockley, 03/08/06, male (age 6)

Madeleine F. Hsu, 07/10/06, female (age 6)

Catherine V. Hubbard, 06/08/06, female (age 6)

Chase Kowalski, 10/31/05, male (age 7)

Jesse Lewis, 06/30/06, male (age 6)

James Mattioli, 03/22/06, male (age 6)

Grace McDonnell, 11/04/05, female (age 7)

Emilie Parker, 05/12/06, female (age 6)

Jack Pinto, 05/06/06, male (age 6)

Noah Pozner, 11/20/06, male (age 6)

Caroline Previdi, 09/07/06, female (age 6)

Jessica Rekos, 05/10/06, female (age 6)

Avielle Richman, 10/17/06, female (age 6)

Benjamin Wheeler, 9/12/06, male (age 6)

Allison N. Wyatt, 07/03/06, female (age 6)

ADULTS

Rachel Davino, 7/17/83, female (age 29)

Dawn Hochsprung, 06/28/65, female (age 47)

Anne Marie Murphy, 07/25/60, female (age 52)

Lauren Russeau, 1982, female (age 29)

Mary Sherlach, 02/11/56, female (age 56)

Victoria Soto, 11/04/85, female (age 27)

http://news.msn.com/us/names-of-victims-in-connecticut-shooting-released

Its terrible to say the least I just couldn't take this in....it was too much so honestly I ignored the news as much as possible....until the first parent spoke on Sat. that broke my heart listening to that dad and he had forgiveness in his heart for the attacker and the family of the attacker because they have to live with what their kid did ....its messed up all the way around

Those Westboro Baptist assholes are picketing the funerals of these kids. My heart breaks for their families.

Apparently that group Anonymous have released personal details of the Westboro Church members including their address, email, phone numbers etc and have warned them not to picket.