27 Dead Including Shooter, 20 Children 7 adults

Bailey

You can't blame video games etc directly but constant exposure to sex and violence desensitises people, so certain negative actions are easier for them.

That coupled with many other issues such as the increasing isolation of people and the break down of communities, the fact that young people these days lack empathy and don't think about consequences is a huge problem.

In fact the latter is where a lot of problems come from. Children need to be taught to think about how their actions affect others and about empathy. It doesn't really come naturally.

Sex is natural and shouldn't be hidden because prudes think so... it's human nature and considered an art form... but that's a different discussion... Before video games there were tons of violence... Actually.. Murders in this county has decreased compared to 1991... (from 24,700 thousand to 14,600 in 2011) and even in 1981 when murders were at 22,000... http://www.disasterc...ime/uscrime.htm

we cannot blame video games for acts of violence (murder) anymore.. there's no data saying so

The shooter lacked empathy because he was born with Aspergers.

• Upvote 2

That's the argument (I suppose)... Should there be a limit? And if there is a limit, would it decrease violence or would people just find another way of getting that type of weapon. Just because it's banned doesn't mean they won't exist in our nation anymore.

For example, the Prohibition. People still made alcohol despite it being banned.

I know you're upset about it and I know it's not a moral thing to do but how is it not peaceful?

True, but I honestly believe it would decrease the chances of incidents like this happening. It's worked in other countries, why can't it work here?

That's different. People are so obsessed with owning guns in this country due to paranoia. Thinking the only way to protect themselves from everyone else with guns is to have a gun of their own, when most of them have no training, no idea about technique(holding it, focus, etc.) in order to ACTUALLY shoot their target. Then you have those whose paranoia dates back to the Revolution for goodness sakes, thinking that they need guns to protect themselves from the government. I'm sure if the gov really wanted to attack you, they could get past your gun.

I...I just...isn't there something to be said about sick people like this who would verbally attack children and picket their funerals for fucks sake? Can that honestly be seen as being peaceful? Wouldn't most places consider it a form of bullying(even though it's worse)? I don't know...I just know they shouldn't be doing this. They shouldn't have a right to do this. They're kids...

Whether people are for or against guns - I can see both sides, although personally I don't agree with them - especially when you look at the stats of gun murders in the USA compared to other western nations.

However I am unable to see why anyone needs to own a semi automatic assault rifle.....a hand gun for self defence maybe. A weapon of war - why?

• Upvote 1

True, but I honestly believe it would decrease the chances of incidents like this happening. It's worked in other countries, why can't it work here?

That's different. People are so obsessed with owning guns in this country due to paranoia. Thinking the only way to protect themselves from everyone else with guns is to have a gun of their own, when most of them have no training, no idea about technique(holding it, focus, etc.) in order to ACTUALLY shoot their target. Then you have those whose paranoia dates back to the Revolution for goodness sakes, thinking that they need guns to protect themselves from the government. I'm sure if the gov really wanted to attack you, they could get past your gun.

I...I just...isn't there something to be said about sick people like this who would verbally attack children and picket their funerals for fucks sake? Can that honestly be seen as being peaceful? Wouldn't most places consider it a form of bullying(even though it's worse)? I don't know...I just know they shouldn't be doing this. They shouldn't have a right to do this. They're kids...

This nation is different.. Peaceful is defined as no conflicts.. No physical fighting

That's the argument (I suppose)... Should there be a limit? And if there is a limit, would it decrease violence or would people just find another way of getting that type of weapon. Just because it's banned doesn't mean they won't exist in our nation anymore.

For example, the Prohibition. People still made alcohol despite it being banned.

I know you're upset about it and I know it's not a moral thing to do but how is it not peaceful?

Prohibition made access more difficult, we are not saying no one should have a gun, we are saying we need common sense back in our society, how you store weapons you own and whether or not kids can gain access to them, gun locks, damn vaults I don't care but make it harder to get a firearm. Michigan we so damn retarded same day this happen our Governor signed into law a law that allows people to carry guns into schools, churches and other places as long as they have extra training. :sigh:

You can't blame video games etc directly but constant exposure to sex and violence desensitises people, so certain negative actions are easier for them.

That coupled with many other issues such as the increasing isolation of people and the break down of communities, the fact that young people these days lack empathy and don't think about consequences is a huge problem.

In fact the latter is where a lot of problems come from. Children need to be taught to think about how their actions affect others and about empathy. It doesn't really come naturally.

^^that :coffee:

Prohibition made access more difficult, we are not saying no one should have a gun, we are saying we need common sense back in our society, how you store weapons you own and whether or not kids can gain access to them, gun locks, damn vaults I don't care but make it harder to get a firearm. Michigan we so damn retarded same day this happen our Governor signed into law a law that allows people to carry guns into schools, churches and other places as long as they have extra training. :sigh:

:umm:

no civilian needs to have military grade weaponry. :mellow:

although I definitely agree that we need to offer more services for the mentally ill, the big reason why these acts can be committed is accessibility to guns. i can see having a gun for protecting yourself, hunting, maybe even collecting. but arms of that nature serve no other purpose than to kill in numbers. if the guy has only used smaller weaponry he wouldn't have been able to kill as many. they should limit the amount of ammo you can purchase at a time, limit the capacity of these weapons, make gun owners liable for illegal acts committed by anyone possessing that gun. there has got to be a penalty for reckless ownership.

• Upvote 3

no civilian needs to have military grade weaponry. :mellow:

although I definitely agree that we need to offer more services for the mentally ill, the big reason why these acts can be committed is accessibility to guns. i can see having a gun for protecting yourself, hunting, maybe even collecting. but arms of that nature serve no other purpose than to kill in numbers. if the guy has only used smaller weaponry he wouldn't have been able to kill as many. they should limit the amount of ammo you can purchase at a time, limit the capacity of these weapons, make gun owners liable for illegal acts committed by anyone possessing that gun. there has got to be a penalty for reckless ownership.

too bad the owner in this case was murdered by her weapons...

I work with a TON of Republican gun carrying hunter types and they are all going out and hoarding ammo etc because they are expecting bans for their guns and maybe ammo being banned. One guy said he went to several shops recently and bought all he could because he expected a ban to come down.They were blaming Obama and saying liberals are overreacting.

Listening to them try and make everything a conspiracy to take away American rights is just headache inducing. There is no godamn reason on this earth that non military people need an assault rifle or these huge ass cannons these guys have. What kinda fucking deer do they need to shoot with an automatic rifle? If your ass cant hit the deer with a normal hunting rifle you need to take your ass home somewhere and order a damn pizza anyway.

And protecting your family? The other go to excuse? Who you expecting to rob you? The entire mob or the TRiads? That you need to empty that kinda firepower into they asses? Ridiculous.

• Upvote 6

And protecting your family? The other go to excuse? Who you expecting to rob you? The entire mob or the TRiads? That you need to empty that kinda firepower into they asses? Ridiculous.

Let's be real - all you need is a baseball bat or a knife to protect yourself or family.

should people be able to carry on planes too? :mellow: at bars and at places where they serve alcohol too? :mellow: people do enough dumb crap with their fists, think of the courage they get carrying a gun. the killing will never end. the private prisons are going to love this.

at the killings will never end

No.. Never... Murder is apart of the nation.. It will never reach zero.. Ever

She shouldn't have had them in the house in the first place. Least of all with a mentally ill child.

He had autism.. Not "murder by numbers disease". And autistic people are a lot smarter than the average person

You guys are looking for someone to blame.. Stop it. She legally had the rights to the guns whether you like it or not..

It's no ones fault except for the killer... Not gun laws, no Obama, not Autism, etc

He had autism.. Not "murder by numbers disease". And autistic people are a lot smarter than the average person

You guys are looking for someone to blame.. Stop it. She legally had the rights to the guns whether you like it or not..

It's no ones fault except for the killer... Not gun laws, no Obama, not Autism, etc

It isn't safe to have those kinds of guns in the house at all, least of all with children. No regular citizen needs that kind of weaponry. It doesn't protect you or your family, it makes all of you even less safe. We hear all the time about kids accident shooting themselves or someone else because of their parents not putting away their guns properly. What do you think a kid can do with a gun like she had? Not to mention, she taught him how to shoot starting when he was 9. Autism itself didn't cause it, but he was born with a lack of empathy+knew how to shoot+had military-grade weaponry in the house. It's simple math.

• Upvote 3

I don't think it matters if gun laws change - people will still have access to them legally....and illegally. Anyone can sneak into their parents room and look for a gun etc. It's not safe - but it happens. I don't think anyone is blaming the autism - at least I hope not and they shouldn't because Autism doesn't = [planned] violence. Something I read which I found interesting and I'll take an experts view over anything.

Psychologist Elizabeth Laugeson, an assistant clinical professor at the University of California, Los Angeles, told the Associated Press she believes last week's tragedy may have had more to do with other mental health conditions such as depression and anxiety than with Asperger's. Although Asperger’s is a neurological and not mental condition, dual diagnoses do exist. But people with Asperger's, she said, generally pay a lot of attention to and follow rules.
. http://www.dnj.com/a...?nclick_check=1
  • Upvote 1

It isn't safe to have those kinds of guns in the house at all, least of all with children. No regular citizen needs that kind of weaponry. It doesn't protect you or your family, it makes all of you even less safe. We hear all the time about kids accident shooting themselves or someone else because of their parents not putting away their guns properly. What do you think a kid can do with a gun like she had? Not to mention, she taught him how to shoot starting when he was 9. Autism itself didn't cause it, but he was born with a lack of empathy+knew how to shoot+had military-grade weaponry in the house. It's simple math.

He wasn't a child.. He was 20

A kid couldn't pick it up, let alone shot it. The example you gave was handguns and other small guns that kids find in their parents room. Should we ban those too? No.

Yeah.. That's what country people do.. They teach their kids how to defend themselves early.. Nothing wrong with that. Millions of adults learned how to fire a weapon at an early age. Autistic or not.. They have perfectly fine at handling a firearm

Another kid in Kanas probably has the same situation going on... Your math is flawed with anger.