"You are my friends if you do what I command"

Rock & Roll Hall of Game

Religion isn't really talked about here much... Politics, music, entertainment, hate, love, sex... but hardly religion...

The quote above is what I learned from church... Jesus said that or something (john 15:14 or 14:15.. idk) I thought it was kinda... bullish...

I don't like church.. it's voodoo craz'; with the singing about a virgin giving birth to a baby while three "wise" men brought him gifts and angels peed off of balconies... just too much phoniness imo..

I want to add.. with most of us being non-straight or even knowing people who are non-straight... what does religion mean to you?

Edited by What's UR Game Babe
  • Upvote 1

Im not a fan of organized religion at all, Im very into spirituality tho and Karma and I live by you get what you put out for better or worst. I believe that the bible is NOT meant to be interpreted as written, it's meant to be broken down and applied where it fits for you if it does, I don't believe in "sin" (self imposed nonsense), Hell or Heaven (being anything really beyond what we make our lives here) or that God is 1 being in the sky judging everything. My definition of god is pretty much everything, like Oxygen, and that all negative things in life come from a place of good rather than "the devil tryin to getcha" lol. We get dealt shit deals so we can appreciate the greatness that can come if we allow it.

Im not a church person either really, like I like a good speech/sermon thats positive and speaks to me in a way I can relate thats not talking down to me and giving me information I can potentially use, thus making most Christian churches out. The only church or format of Organized religion I like alot is Unity because it's basically all that I have above and it takes the best qualities from other religions and apply them together (which I believe is how life should be with all culture). The peoples who words I most apply are Iyanla Vanzant, Marianne Williamson, & Michael Beckwith.

Christianity is rooted in pagan myth and astrology like most other religions. Jesus' story isn't even close to being original. He's just another savior god/hero just like Horus, Dionysus, Perseus, and a thousand others once again rooted in astrology.

Religion in general just seems like widely accepted and desired slavery, in my honest opinion. A little poetry and laws developed from experience (such as the Golden Rule) here and there, but slavery nonetheless. As I have observed there are two kinds of people who practice religion. Those who wish to use it to mask their bigotry and ignorance; and those who, no matter what mental, emotional and physical sacrifice is asked by said religion, wants to believe someone is always taking care of them and loves them unconditionally. The second is a beautiful thought, but not at the cost religion requires.

Personally, I'm an Agnostic but bordering on Atheist.

Christianity is rooted in pagan myth and astrology like most other religions. Jesus' story isn't even close to being original. He's just another savior god/hero just like Horus, Dionysus, Perseus, and a thousand others once again rooted in astrology.

Religion in general just seems like widely accepted and desired slavery, in my honest opinion. A little poetry and laws developed from experience (such as the Golden Rule) here and there, but slavery nonetheless. As I have observed there are two kinds of people who practice religion. Those who wish to use it to mask their bigotry and ignorance; and those who, no matter what mental, emotional and physical sacrifice is asked by said religion, wants to believe someone is always taking care of them and loves them unconditionally. The second is a beautiful thought, but not at the cost religion requires.

Personally, I'm an Agnostic but bordering on Atheist.

I knew the story of Christ was stolen from other legendary-mystical stories... well parts of it anyways.. which is why I don't support it

but can you support their beliefs without supporting their demi-God?

I think there are more than two types... there's also the fear-driven types... The people afraid of hell or wants heaven... and they all can be mix-matched and more but I guess those types can be shuffled in with the 2nd group you mentioned

I knew the story of Christ was stolen from other legendary-mystical stories... well parts of it anyways.. which is why I don't support it

but can you support their beliefs without supporting their demi-God?

I think there are more than two types... there's also the fear-driven types... The people afraid of hell or wants heaven... and they all can be mix-matched and more but I guess those types can be shuffled in with the 2nd group you mentioned

To answer the question, I'd suppose one could. Not every law that was given by these "saviors" were bad ideas and you don't have to believe in their "divinity" to think they were right on some things.

Good point. Those driven by fear I'd say are in another group. I do say most fit into a mold of those three, even if there are mix-matched ones then a few who may be different in some way.

• Upvote 1

Theres also the types of people who brainlessly follow the religion that their mamas and their mamas mama and their mamas mamas mama followed and dont' realy believe in the crap they're being fed, but arent brave enough to step out of that cycle and decide what they really believe asside from what they've been taught. And do the same for their kids, I thnk God my mom was/is that brave. I was raised baptist as a kid (up until like 9-10ish) and none of us liked it or agreed with it but my mom just looked outward and found better more "realistic" options for her and her kids, and let us choose how we wanted to take it if we wanted to.

That description trancends race & gender, even sexuality.

• Upvote 1

I believes in God and I do find inspiration from the scriptures. But for the past year I have maintained that I'm no fan of organised religion. There's certain things that I do not agree with for example the treatment of le gays etc.

As long as people do good and treat others nicely then surely that's all that matters whether you're a Muslim, Christian, Jew, Hindu, Atheist or whatever?

• Upvote 1

I think there has to be something out there but I don't believe in any religion. I understand the need or want for a set of "rules" to live your life by, but I'm honestly stumped by the number of people who blindly follow what I can only describe as a tall story.

This.

I think we have so much to understand about the universe. What would happen to religion if we found other intelligent life? I think about stuff like this frequently. I'm also agnostic/borderline atheist.

I told one of my friends that I really didn't believe in God and she was like "what's the benefit in that?" I said to myself that's precisely the point. People blindly follow a religion without necessarily believing just because its more beneficial to believe.

This.

I think we have so much to understand about the universe. What would happen to religion if we found other intelligent life? I think about stuff like this frequently. I'm also agnostic/borderline atheist.

I told one of my friends that I really didn't believe in God and she was like "what's the benefit in that?" I said to myself that's precisely the point. People blindly follow a religion without necessarily believing just because its more beneficial to believe.

Most people follow religion because if helps them cope in a world that constantly fails to meet their expectations.

The only time I have a problem with Atheist is when they shove their opinions and beliefs at people the same way the evangelist do, Bill Maher is 1 of the biggest examples, and tho I LOVE his stance on politics, when he gets to religion, he's quite one sided (as in if you believe in god or any type of spirtuality, your stupid, if you don't, you're smart). I hate that. To me, any group claiming to know all the answers from beginning to end is automatically fucked up tho. I think certain groups or thinkers know more of the answers than others, but nobody knows the whole story. To me there is no "The End", theres only, "And Then".

The only time I have a problem with Atheist is when they shove their opinions and beliefs at people the same way the evangelist do, Bill Maher is 1 of the biggest examples, and tho I LOVE his stance on politics, when he gets to religion, he's quite one sided (as in if you believe in god or any type of spirtuality, your stupid, if you don't, you're smart). I hate that. To me, any group claiming to know all the answers from beginning to end is automatically fucked up tho. I think certain groups or thinkers know more of the answers than others, but nobody knows the whole story. To me there is no "The End", theres only, "And Then".

Exactly. I respect all types of religions but it's so annoying when people constantly try to tear apart what I believe in.

I actually often agree with Bill Maher's stance on religion(as well as politics), though I agree with you as well he can be very aggressive in his way of going about it. Atheists don't claim to know all the answers, rather they will often admit they don't. Their stance is that they're actually looking for it through research, reason, doubting/questioning, etc. as opposed to just accepting they don't know(willful ignorance) or put everything on a god(God of the Gaps). I will say however, that if religious people didn't try to put their faith into where it doesn't belong (science, education, politics) in a way that says people can't question it and it's "the law" there wouldn't be much aggression against. Also, how else do you learn any truth except to question and take apart what's been assumed already? Religion needs to be questioned(since people often base their lives and the lives of others on this), and if shoved into the public arena like it has been, it will be.