Miguel: "Black people are the most judgemental people in the world"

TwistedElegance™

Miguel has been having a tough time on Twitter lately. First he was immortalized as a meme via countless photoshopped pictures after kicking some fans in the face during the BillBoard Music Awards. Now he's being dragged through the fire after making a blanket statement about black people.

"I'm proud of my heritage," he wrote, "but honestly black people are the most judgmental people in the world." Instantaneously, black people responded in offense and anger. It wasn't immediately evident what sparked Miguel's comment, but it appears to have been brought on by a discussion about religion.

Miguel's response drew the ire of scores of black Twitter users, who felt his comments were a clear example of self-hate. Others found his comment ironic, seeing as how he, a black man, essentially judged all black people in naming the lot of them the most judgmental in the world. And others saw it as just plain dumb, and a great way to alienate a good percentage of your fans.

His tweets inspired a bevy of important discussions, from internalized racism to gender politics to the strength and importance of black fan bases. There was also a two-second squabble with musician Phonte of the group Foreign Exchange that you probably missed if you blinked for too long. And of course, as is common with black folks on Twitter, there were plenty of jokes thrown about. Check out some of the conversation below.

cT1z6Dn.png

http://www.theroot.com/blogs/grapevine/miguel-vs-black-twitter

He HAD to know this wouldn't go down well. :sigh:

Twitter has ruined my interest in so many celebs. The things so many of them tweet are just... :sigh:

They went IN on him yesterday :lol: Twitter does that but for example i'm loving Rihanna more and more because of the stuff she says on twitter instagram and i used to really hate the girl :asham:

Black folk do tend to be a tad bit overly concerned with shit that really doesnt matter. Hate to say it, but its the true. We're extremely flawed in that area.

That with any race..

Was all this because of him close lining that chick at the Billboard awards?

That with any race..

Was all this because of him close lining that chick at the Billboard awards?

That he went awf on twitter? No, He posted a pic wearing a ugly t-shirt and people rt it saying that it was ugly, after that he posted this :lol:

That he went awf on twitter? No, He posted a pic wearing a ugly t-shirt and people rt it saying that it was ugly, after that he posted this :lol:

lol So I'm assuming he didn't see all those tweets of him teabagging that poor girl?? smh lol

I think everyone on my timeline had something to say about that.. lol

1. He's pressed.

2. He's not lying.

3. We are all conditioned to conform to religious beliefs...amongst other things based in societal structures and in accordance we play the role....and the majority of us don't even think about it. Individuality is seriously debatable in a world of human conditioning.

3. We are all conditioned to conform to religious beliefs...amongst other things based in societal structures and in accordance we play the role....and the majority of us don't even think about it. Individuality is seriously debatable in a world of human conditioning.

fallacy... not everyone.. :umm:

Religion was invited when the first conman met his first fool - Mark Twain

They went IN on him yesterday :lol: Twitter does that but for example i'm loving Rihanna more and more because of the stuff she says on twitter instagram and i used to really hate the girl :asham:

Ugh, still can't stand her either :rolleyes::lol: Twitter seems to just bring out the stupidity in people, especially celebs.

1. He's pressed.

2. He's not lying.

Debatable, not impossible.

That with any race..

True but we have alot "issues" that we can't seem to shake..like "black on black" crime ..and the whole homophobic thing is MAJOR in the black community. The Prop 8 situation supports my claim. And you yourself , spoke about how the Christian/ baptist church are complete hypocrites which is why you aren't apart of organized religion. You weren't speaking of other races...u were speaking of the so called "sanctified" church goin black folk. By you saying ALL RACES is part of the problem on why we can't progress becuz we too busy focused on everyone else instead of the issues we have brewing in our own backyard. WE ALL need to wake the fuck up,imo..but I'm especially concerned about my ppl

• Upvote 2

True but we have alot "issues" that we can't seem to shake..like "black on black" crime ..and the whole homophobic thing is MAJOR in the black community. The Prop 8 situation supports my claim. And you yourself , spoke about how the Christian/ baptist church are complete hypocrites which is why you aren't apart of organized religion. You weren't speaking of other races...u were speaking of the so called "sanctified" church goin black folk. By you saying ALL RACES is part of the problem on why we can't progress becuz we too busy focused on everyone else instead of the issues we have brewing in our own backyard. WE ALL need to wake the fuck up,imo..but I'm especially concerned about my ppl

This. I'm a black Christian (not a baptist) though but I hate/don't understand homophobia. There are tons of stuff in the Bible and a lot of those overly religious ppl pick and choose what they wish to follow. Along with that, I went to an all black high school and ppl judged the hell out of me! From my music choices to the way I spoke, because I spoke proper English they told me I needed to stop trying to be white smh. When I blasted my Janet and Whitney they gave me dirty looks like "Ugh, why you like listenin to old ppl music" :umm: And the amount of homophobia my best friend dealt with was sickening at that school. The guys were sooooooooo homophobic towards him it was disgusting. With that being said I'm so glad I left that school.

• Upvote 1

I agree that all races & cultures are probably equally judgemental...but blacks take the cake with how outspoken we are about it. OFCOURSE every race has outspoken folks, but we kind of specialize in it, it's 1 of our many stereo types. Im ok with judging, because to accept that that's REALLY apart of life, and it doesn't have to make/mean anything is wrong for doing so, I like to think Im a good example of judging any & everyone for the content of their character above anything else, if nothing else.

He was stupid for posting that, true or not, thats the BULK of his fanbase....you don't say that bout the BULK of your fanbase!

• Upvote 1

He's judging for bring judged

Sharing a pic of his m sweater is a risk he chose to take

Whenever you post something on the internet, you're basically opening yourself up to criticism whether if it's good or bad. How stupid ppl don't know this is beyond me.

• Upvote 1

Celebs need to stay off twitter. Everything you think doesnt't néed to be openly expressed. Miguel's opinion has been expressed by many black folks I know including me. But some stuff needs to be shared amongst friends. Don't use twitter and Facebook as a diary

• Upvote 1

Celebs need to stay off twitter. Everything you think doesnt't néed to be openly expressed. Miguel's opinion has been expressed by many black folks I know including me. But some stuff needs to be shared amongst friends. Don't use twitter and Facebook as a diary

I disagree.. I think they can use it to their advantage or disadvantage. MC, Rihanna, JT and a lot more use it for the good.. Tho Rihanna isn't a great example, she truly connects more with her base by being on Twitter than not

People like Chris Brown and Miguel and Bynes... Shouldn't be

It depends on the personality

I disagree.. I think they can use it to their advantage or disadvantage. MC, Rihanna, JT and a lot more use it for the good.. Tho Rihanna isn't a great example, she truly connects more with her base by being on Twitter than not

People like Chris Brown and Miguel and Bynes... Shouldn't be

It depends on the personality

Then you don't fully disagree with me. I agree that social media can be a great promo tool when done correctly. But when celebs are using it as a forum for their life frustrations then they need another avenue. Sometimes its best to let your publicist do their job.