Academy Awards Winners - 2014 Season Film Awards Thread

bu.

Gravity is one of the best films I've seen ever. It deserves its nominations and IMO should win all technical awards. Cuaron for Best Director.

And yes, The Butler is overrated. It sort of tried to be Forrest Gump with its attempt to showcase American history. However I thought Oprah Winfrey deserved a Supporting Actress nod.

The movie that I think was snubbed was Rush. That and Blue Jasmine should've been nominated for Best Picture.

Me thinks it'll be a threeway battle among Gravity, 12 Years A Slave, and American Hustle. The last 2 especially for acting awards.

• Upvote 1

Gravity is one of the best films I've seen ever. It deserves its nominations and IMO should win all technical awards. Cuaron for Best Director.

And yes, The Butler is overrated. It sort of tried to be Forrest Gump with its attempt to showcase American history. However I thought Oprah Winfrey deserved a Supporting Actress nod.

The movie that I think was snubbed was Rush. That and Blue Jasmine should've been nominated for Best Picture.

Me thinks it'll be a threeway battle among Gravity, 12 Years A Slave, and American Hustle. The last 2 especially for acting awards.

I think Rush suffered from how long ago it was released. Alot of the Oscar season movies are saved till the fall for maximum "freshness". The burned guy(forgot his name) did a really good job and could have gotten a nom.

I think Rush suffered from how long ago it was released. Alot of the Oscar season movies are saved till the fall for maximum "freshness". The burned guy(forgot his name) did a really good job and could have gotten a nom.

That's possibly what happened to The Butler too tbh

I live for the Oscars but I've become frustrated with them in recent years, mainly because by the time they finally announce their noms there are no surprises in store as we've already waded through every awards show and I loathe predictability. My other gripe is the bullshit surrounding Best Picture. Nine nominees? Get out. I could handle them widening the contenders from 5 to 10 but allowing "up to 10" just seems sloppy and only adds to movie-lovers' frustrations when they believe a film has been snubbed.

Anyway, the only acting category with any doubt for me is Best Supporting Actress. Jennifer Lawrence was fantastic in AH but I'd be surprised to see them hand out back-to-back Oscars to her. Cate and Jared are non-negotiable and have been sure things all awards season. And Matthew will win, I don't know why anyone is hesitant about that one. The academy members cream their pants for those big transformation roles and his was one of the most memorable in a long time. He will be collecting a trophy. Bookmark me.

I live for the Oscars but I've become frustrated with them in recent years, mainly because by the time they finally announce their noms there are no surprises in store as we've already waded through every awards show and I loathe predictability. My other gripe is the bullshit surrounding Best Picture. Nine nominees? Get out. I could handle them widening the contenders from 5 to 10 but allowing "up to 10" just seems sloppy and only adds to movie-lovers' frustrations when they believe a film has been snubbed.

Anyway, the only acting category with any doubt for me is Best Supporting Actress. Jennifer Lawrence was fantastic in AH but I'd be surprised to see them hand out back-to-back Oscars to her. Cate and Jared are non-negotiable and have been sure things all awards season. And Matthew will win, I don't know why anyone is hesitant about that one. The academy members cream their pants for those big transformation roles and his was one of the most memorable in a long time. He will be collecting a trophy. Bookmark me.

The Best Actor race is probably the most competitive it's been in years. There is no clear victor in this category as opposed to DDL last year for "Lincoln".

Matthew won the Critics Choice Award last night for his role in DBC. I'm now thinking he may win the Oscar too. I'm still holding out for a win for Chiwetel Ejiofor but he's been losing steam since the awards season began. He was the favorite to win the Oscar but now his chances are very slim. If Matthew wins the SAG award, he's almost certain to take the Oscar.

The winners from the Critics Choice Awards are:

Best Picture

12 Years a Slave

Best Actor

Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club

Best Actress

Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine

Best Supporting Actor

Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club

Best Supporting Actress

Lupita Nyong’o, 12 Years a Slave

Best Young Actor/Actress