Speaking of Visuals in the freexone section...

janetDAYZ

The musical throw back theme videos for Alright and "When I Think of You" the high tech sleek futuristic look of "If" the Asian minimalist influence look of "Doesn't Really Matter" the concentration on traveling the globe in "Runaway" ....Janet has many many visual appealing videos, I don't take anything Kanye has to say for much, it's one person's opinion and Janet with dance and music was on the forefront of innovative visually stunning videos, as far back as "Control" you see a very showmanship like mentality nothing was done small, everything had a superstar appeal, I even think "What;s it Gonna Be?" is another great Janet video even if she was just a feature

:wtf:

I disagree with that big time but Im not doing some sophomore act of back and forth with him over the obvious, with Janet its hard to separate some of the songs from the videos thats how connected they were, to say she wasn't a visual artist only applies if you're Stevie Wonder :coffee:
  • Upvote 1

She has her fair share of great visual videos but Janet is not known for being a visual artist...

she didn't rely solely on visuals as a means of performing, she unlike some, danced a great deal, I would say Janet was more theatrical....but I wouldnt take visuals out of her repertoire
  • Upvote 1

I disagree with that big time but Im not doing some sophomore act of back and forth with him over the obvious, with Janet its hard to separate some of the songs from the videos thats how connected they were, to say she wasn't a visual artist only applies if you're Stevie Wonder :coffee:

And doesn't a visual artist also include her body of work in magazines?????

No..

so the cover of RS circa Janet. wasn't a visual image that became iconic to the degree people copied it over and fucking over? That single photo didn't have an impact on Janet's career? That image wasn't conceptualized and executed in a way Janet predetermined as a visual representation she wanted?

She has her fair share of great visual videos but Janet is not known for being a visual artist...

Janet is too talented to be known as a visual artist...

Too talented to be known.as visual? What does one have to do with the other? :blink: As if a person can only have one or the other. That's a ridiculous comment.

so the cover of RS circa Janet. wasn't a visual image that became iconic to the degree people copied it over and fucking over? That single photo didn't have an impact on Janet's career? That image wasn't conceptualized and executed in a way Janet predetermined as a visual representation she wanted?

That photo is legendary... But it takes more than phone photo to be a visual artist

Too talented to be known.as visual? What does one have to do with the other? :blink: As if a person can only have one or the other. That's a ridiculous comment.

Nitpicking my words.. No one has explained how, besides a handful of videos, Janet is a visual artist

Oh you want us to name her visual artistry! :asham:

From 1989-1997 is when she peaked in her visual artistry

Nitpicking my words.. No one has explained how, besides a handful of videos, Janet is a visual artist

Oh you want us to name her visual artistry! :asham:

From 1989-1997 is when she peaked in her visual artistry

What about the All4You, SOTCML, Call on Me, Feedback videos?

That photo is legendary... But it takes more than phone photo to be a visual artist

so by the logic you make, then Madonna is not a visual artist either because she didn't conceptualize some of her best works, those were done by photographers and great music video people like Mark Romanek, are you trying to say Janet has no input on how things will look? I think thats where you're coming from

so by the logic you make, then Madonna is not a visual artist either because she didn't conceptualize some of her best works, those were done by photographers and great music video people like Mark Romanek, are you trying to say Janet has no input on how things will look? I think thats where you're coming from

Not what I'm saying. All I'm saying is Janet will not go down in history as a visual artist... She is a dancer, entertainer.. Songwriter and producer.

Idk who Madonna was

What about the All4You, SOTCML, Call on Me, Feedback videos?

AFY - :umm: she won a Grammy for best dance... Not best visual

STCML - beautiful video.. But nothing out of the ordinary

COM - an expensive waste of time

FB - dancing in milk and space isn't exactly cutting edge tho it was done well.. It Left many supports wondering what she was thinking..

FB was not "done well" the reason ppl were puzzled by the video was becuz the idea was there but it wasn't even close to being properly executed. It's ashame when ppl juss wait for the end with Janet in the red cause that's considered the best and only part that ppl like.

• Upvote 1

what kind of ignorance is going on in this thread? Janet is very much a visual artist and has Grammys to prove that FACT. I know some may be to young to remember, but Rhythm Nation set Janet apart from every other female artist out at the time. And we wont even get into the brilliance of 'Got Til Its Gone'...it's visually stunning.

• Upvote 3

People didn't "get" the FB video because it wasn't predictable. It didnt "fit" the song they claim, the idea of a concept is lost. Most seem to like the dance breakdown and the end. In saying that, I wouldn't agree Janet is known for being a visual artist.

Madonna is pretty much known for reinvention. And you just need to see her concert to see she is very much a visual artist.

what kind of ignorance is going on in this thread? Janet is very much a visual artist and has Grammys to prove that FACT. I know some may be to young to remember, but Rhythm Nation set Janet apart from every other female artist out at the time. And we wont even get into the brilliance of 'Got Til Its Gone'...it's visually stunning.

I agree with all if this, especially the RN part. The RN album was not only a concept album, but a visionary album. I mean she had a video for every hit song on that album. I've always seen Janet as a visionary. If you watch the behind the scenes of the making of RN she says that if she could grab peoples attention with the videos maybe then they will get the message in her music. Isn't that what visionaries do?