'90s Survivor: 1997 - Winner Announced!

TwistedElegance™

vLdXey9.jpg

Write-up pending...

Sorry the blurbs are missing from the last two eliminations. I've been so busy with work there just hasn't been time. Once I get some time off this weekend I'll update. As for now, it's time to choose our winner for 1997! Be sure to PM me your vote for the song you would like to take the crown! :D

Final 4 (in alphabetical order):

Honey - Mariah Carey

Mo Money Mo Problems - The Notorious B.I.G. feat. Puff Daddy & Mase

Together Again - Janet Jackson

Wannabe - Spice Girls

The results are in!

In equal third place we have...

jz42WJu.jpg

Writers: Christopher Wallace, Sean Combs, Mason Betha, Steven Jordan, Bernard Edwards, Nile Rodgers

Producer: Stevie J

Label: Bad Boy, Arista

The Notorious B.I.G. chalks up his second Top 10 entry for 1997 with the infectious 'Mo Money Mo Problems'. Released posthumously as the second single from his chart-busting Life After Death, 'Mo Money' topped the Billboard Hot 100 for two weeks in 1997, replacing 'I'll Be Missing You' from the chart, Puff Daddy's tribute to the Notorious B.I.G's after his fatal shooting. The song is Notorious B.I.G.'s second posthumous number one single, following 'Hypnotize', making him the only artist in Hot 100 History to have two No. 1 singles posthumously. It was the sixth song to hit No. 1 posthumously for a credited artist. The song was nominated for the 1998 Grammy Award for Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group. Internationally the song peaked at No. 2 in Canada and New Zealand, No. 6 in the UK and No. 10 in Australia.

Voted for by: Illi, vibeology

uM9DdZW.jpg

Writers: Spice Girls, Matt Rowe, Richard Stannard

Producers: Matt Rowe, Richard Stannard

Label: Virgin

Tying with Biggie for third spot is the globe-conquering Spice Girls with their smash, 'Wannabe'. Released as the group's debut single in July 1996, 'Wannabe' topped the UK Singles Chart for seven weeks and received a platinum certification by the British Phonographic Industry. In January 1997 it was released in the United States, topping the Billboard Hot 100 for four weeks. The lyrics, which address the value of female friendship over the heterosexual bond, became an iconic symbol of female empowerment and the most emblematic song of the group's Girl Power philosophy. Despite receiving mixed reviews from music critics, the song won for Best British-Written Single at the 1997 Ivor Novello Awards and for Best Single at the 1997 BRIT Awards. The first song the Spice Girls wrote with Stannard and Rowe was called 'Feed Your Love', a slow and soulful song that was recorded and mastered for the group's debut album; the song was not used because it was considered too rude for the target audience. The group next proposed to write a track with an uptempo rhythm. Rowe set up a drum loop on his MPC3000 drum machine. Its fast rhythm made Stannard remember the scene where John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John perform 'You're The One That I Want' in Grease. The group added their own contributions to the song, Rowe recalls: "They made all these different bits up, not thinking in terms of verse, chorus, bridge or what was going to go where, just coming up with all these sections of chanting, rapping and singing, which we recorded all higgledy-piggledy. And then we just sewed it together. It was rather like the way we'd been working on the dance remixes we'd been doing before. Kind of a cut-and-paste method." 'Wannabe' was written in thirty minutes (mainly because the group had written parts of the song beforehand) in what Mel B describes as a "sudden creative frenzy". During the session, Mel B and Emma Bunton came up with the idea of including a rap near the end of the song. At this point the group became very motivated, and incorporated the word "zigazig-ha" into the lyrics. Mel C told Billboard magazine: "You know when you're in a gang and you're having a laugh and you make up silly words? Well we were having a giggle and we made up this silly word, "zigazig-h"a. And we were in the studio and it all came together in this song". By the end of 1996, 'Wannabe' had topped the charts in twenty-two nations, and by March 1997 this number had climbed to thirty-one. It became the best-selling single by a female group, selling over six million copies worldwide.

Voted for by: Escapade, HollyHood

In second place...

VXfEOrB.jpg

Writers: Mariah Carey, Sean Combs, Steven Jordan, Kamaal Fareed, Bobby Robinson, Stephen Hague, Ronald Larkins, Malcolm McLaren, Larry Price

Producers: Mariah Carey, Puff Daddy, Stevie J, Q-Tip

Label: Columbia

Settling for second place is the one and only Mariah Carey with 'Honey'. Released as the lead single from Carey's sixth studio album, Butterfly, 'Honey' slammed into the Billboard Hot 100 in pole position, marking the third time Carey has achieved this feat - a record which still stands today. In doing so it became her 12th No. 1 single on the Hot 100 which saw her overtake Whitney Houston and tie with Madonna for most No. 1s by a female artist. Carey continued to champion the use of samples which had proved beneficial with previous No. 1s 'Dreamlover' and 'Fantasy', this time borrowing from two classic hits released in 1984 - 'Hey DJ' by World's Famous Supreme Team and 'The Body Rock' by Treacherous Three. And like the ODB-assisted 'Fantasy' remix, 'Honey' was also given the hip-hop treatment with an official Bad Boy remix featuring verses from The Lox and Mase. The song stayed at No. 1 for three weeks. A product of Carey exerting more creative control over her artistry, 'Honey' and its parent album brought forward the singer's love for hip-hop and R&B like never before. Remembered fondly for its James Bond-inspired video, 'Honey' revealed a sexier side to Carey, who until then had kept things fairly conservative when it came to her image. In keeping with the urban groove, Carey recruited Paul Hunter to direct, who had made a name for himself among hip-hop and R&B artists having already helmed 'On & On' by Erykah Badu, 'Twisted' by Keith Sweat, and several videos for the Bad Boy crew. 'Honey' reached No. 1 in Canada, No. 3 in New Zealand and the UK, and No. 8 in Australia. In 1998 it was nominated for two Grammys: Best Female R&B Vocal Performance and Best R&B Song, however lost in both categories to Erykah Badu for 'On & On', and R. Kelly for 'I Believe I Can Fly', respectively.

Voted for by: jarrylf, RedSimba, Side-A Bu, TwistedElegance

And our winner...

DW5F9oI.jpg

Writers: Janet Jackson, James Harris III, Terry Lewis, Rene Elizondo, Jr.

Producers: Janet Jackson, Jam + Lewis

Label: Virign

Claiming victory for another year is the incomparable Janet Jackson with her everlasting 'Together Again'. Released as the second single from The Velvet Rope, 'Together Again' topped the Hot 100 for two weeks after debuting in ninth position. Originally written as a ballad, 'Together Again' was re-arranged as a dance song. Jackson was reportedly inspired to write the song from her own personal experience, as well as a piece of fan-mail she received from a young boy in England who had lost his father. According to Jimmy Jam, "It had a deep meaning for her because it was about a friend she lost to AIDS, but as with all her songs, she tries to make them apply in a general sense to anybody. The idea was to make it a joyous song musically". Ernest Hardy of Rolling Stone described 'Together Again' as "unsullied pop bliss", saying "The bass-heavy house track showcases a poignant lead vocal, giving off a '60s soul/girl group vibe." BBC UK stated 'Together Again' is a thumping great hit, an old-fashioned piece of professional dance music, played perfectly". Music critic Joey Guerra wrote "'Together Again' is genuine happy-feeling. It sounds lame at first but pay attention to what she's singing; that vocal smile changes everything." Two music videos were produced for 'Together Again'. The video for the original version was directed by fashion photographer Seb Janiak (his only other director's credit being a Daft Punk video) and is a dance clip that shows Jackson and her dancers performing in a futuristic African paradise where people are seen living side by side with wild animals such as elephants, giraffes, and wildcats. This version received a nomination for Best Dance Video at the 1998 MTV Video Music Awards, however lost to The Prodigy's 'Smack My Bitch Up'. Internationally the song is one of Jackson's most successful, peaking at No. 4 in both Australia and the UK and charting longer in both countries than any of her previous singles. Worldwide it is her best selling single with over six million copies to its credit.

Voted for by: The Game Network, Janet4life, JoeJoe, Ms. Reyna, Selz, T.C

Thanks as always to everybody for playing. Hope you enjoyed this round! :D

• Upvote 2

Sweet! I'm more than pleased with the final top 2 result! :yahoo: It was actually pretty close for me. Both songs are amazing but the one I voted for had a slight edge; especially since it was the very first single I ever bought. B) (So far, my final vote in each round ended up in at least the top 2 :P)