Album sales get lower and lower. The no.1 album on Billboard this week

JoeJoe

For the second week in a row, an album has broken the record for the slimmest sales tally by an album at #1 in the Nielsen SoundScan era. Cake's Showroom Of Compassion tops The Billboard 200 with sales of just 44,000 copies. Last week, Taylor Swift's Speak Now earned the unwelcome distinction with sales of 52,000.

Here's a sign of how bad the current album market is. Each of Cake's last two albums sold more copies in their opening week than Showroom just did, even though they debuted considerably lower on the chart. Pressure Chief sold 46K when it debuted at #17 in 2004. Comfort Eagle sold 72K when it debuted at #13 in 2001.

In fact, Showroom sold just 100 or so more copies in its first week than the band's 1998 album Prolonging The Magic did when it debuted at #33. (Pressure Chief and Prolonging The Magic both came out in October, when sales are brisker than they are in January, but still...)

You might well ask: If an album can sell just 44K and finish #1, what does it mean? Keep in mind that albums compete in the same retail climate and economy as every other album on the market at that time. Cake's tally may be modest, but the album still sold more copies than any other album, new or old, last week. So it's still an achievement worth celebrating.

For the band, that is, not for the music industry. Here are two more signs of how slow album sales are this week. Five of the albums in this week's top 10 sold fewer than 30,000 copies. That's happened only once before (last August). And just 4,849,000 albums were sold last week, the second lowest total in Nielsen SoundScan history (which dates to 1991). The low mark (to date) of 4,832,000 was set in September.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_watch/73781/week-ending-jan-16-2011-albums-even-lower/

So glad Janet has already sold a shit load of albums. B)

me too, if they had of known, they being artists in the 90's, that things would go south the way it did im thinking Janet would have put out more albums knowing time is limited and when the net hits our sales are going bust, because at this point Janet (in the 90's) could have put out another album or two and sold probably another 7 million copies

me too, if they had of known, they being artists in the 90's, that things would go south the way it did im thinking Janet would have put out more albums knowing time is limited and when the net hits our sales are going bust, because at this point Janet (in the 90's) could have put out another album or two and sold probably another 7 million copies

Yep. IDK what Janet was thinking waiting so long between albums. ohboy.gif The reason why DOAD sold so much is because Janet was at the peak of her career. If she had put out another album, it would have done 10mil+.

you know what makes me sick is in the club if they play Beyonce these young boyz run da ass to the floor, I be like "Im not even that damn phased"

You know what, I've been to a shit load of clubs and never heard Beyonce (unless you count one playing the instrumental to "Sweet Dreams for 5 seconds).

NEVER but they know, that's why Beyonce will pimp everything from a damn cell phone to some eye liner

:lmao:

you know what makes me sick is in the club if they play Beyonce these young boyz run da ass to the floor, I be like "Im not even that damn phased"

the feminine ones huh? :sigh:

You know what, I've been to a shit load of clubs and never heard Beyonce (unless you count one playing the instrumental to "Sweet Dreams for 5 seconds).

yeah out here either especially at the str8 clubs the DJs tried to play single ladies and people started shooing him off with their hands and leaving the dancefloor lol

yeah out here either especially at the str8 clubs the DJs tried to play single ladies and people started shooing him off with their hands and leaving the dancefloor lol

:lol: The only time I've walked off the dancefloor is when the DJs tries to bring crunk back by blasting the '03-'05 lil Jon tracks, but once my song "Shots" from LMFAO is on, I'm back to dancing lol.

:lol: The only time I've walked off the dancefloor is when the DJs tries to bring crunk back by blasting the '03-'05 lil Jon tracks, but once my song "Shots" from LMFAO is on, I'm back to dancing lol.

I love "Shots"! :excited: I thought that was by Lil Jon

When shots comes on i gotta dance :dance:

Archived