Nicki Minaj: The Pinkprint - The Track-by-Track Review

Rock & Roll Hall of Game

It's her best album on the whole. She has some songs from her previous albums that are better than a lot of songs on here but on the whole this album is much more cohesive and clearly personal too.

I can list pretty much the entire album as tracks I play, I do hate "Shanghai" I skip that one

I'm sorry to hear that.. I glad you survived.. I only listen to a few tracks from Nicki... but I love the 6/7 songs I kept 

so what were the 6/7 songs you kept? I'll go these are the tracks I basically play everyday, I think I'm becoming a Barb :unsure:

"The Crying Game" probably my favorite on the entire album....it's beautiful vocally, it's lyrical content is more than superficial.

"Trini Dem Girls" It''s just a bop, I mean musically the production is what keeps me, but I enjoy that island flavor, the shout outs to all the women from around the world.

"The Night is Still Young" perfectly accessible heavy hook driven song. It's fun it's inspiring, I connected to it  thinking about what anyone of us could still achieve, hey the Night is still young indeed :good:

"Grand Piano" sounds lush beautiful layered and its damn near poignant.

"Win Again" is my fucking anthem...that''s a bad bitch get out my way this is my shit song.

"Truffle Butter" straight up house jam with 2014 added...I do enjoy the hell out of Lil Wayne's rap verse though, "Get killed for Jordans

Skateboard, I'm gnarly; Drake, Tunech and Barbie YOU KNOW!! :yahoo:

there are several other tracks I dig

She didn't win me back with this album, but there are elements I really like, such as opening with the deeper tracks and ditching the EDM cuts which weighed down Roman Reloaded. They really picked the worst singles this time around, though.

Do you think its too "Urban" for you?

No, I think it's too formulaic for me.

I am curious, though. Did you ask that based on my music taste or my white skin?

I'll just jump in and directly address you rather than try to dance around it.....first what's formulaic about an industry that pretty much is all about making formulaic driven music? I actually wondered to myself before Joe even asked, 'maybe it's too hood for him' I think there are cultural differences where one doesn't "get" the appeal. For example, I have been watching "Cougar Town" which is basically a "white" person's show, and sometimes the humor goes right over my head, not because I dont like it but because it comes from a culture and a system of behaviors i dont.

No, I think it's too formulaic for me.

I am curious, though. Did you ask that based on my music taste or my white skin?

How so when it's different and more personal that any other album she put out especially talking about abortion.

I wouldn't say I based it off of your music tastes cause I don't know your music tastes.I'm by no means hood but along with music artists like Janet, Xtina, Maxwell, and i'm just now discovering I like trance music a little bit too although they don't play it out here on US radio.  I don't wanna say cause you're white but from your personality on here I highly doubt you have music like this in your itunes like me but correct me if i'm wrong lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GzGsUiCYmU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HYXw1vADFQ

I'll just jump in and directly address you rather than try to dance around it.....first what's formulaic about an industry that pretty much is all about making formulaic driven music? I actually wondered to myself before Joe even asked, 'maybe it's too hood for him' I think there are cultural differences where one doesn't "get" the appeal. For example, I have been watching "Cougar Town" which is basically a "white" person's show, and sometimes the humor goes right over my head, not because I dont like it but because it comes from a culture and a system of behaviors i dont.

Pretty much what Bailey just said

It's formulaic in that the aspect of surprise is largely unaccounted for. I liken it to the more impressive moments in her discography such as Roman's Revenge or even Lookin Ass Ni**a where for me there was a real sense of wonder in her wordplay.

I have to say it's pretty offhanded to chalk my opinion up to "cultural differences" or to imply that anything on this album is lost on me. My taste in music is as varied as anyone I know and it's without scoffing that I could say most everybody on this board would agree even without me pulling out ticket stubs from Nas to The Game. That alone discredits your Cougar Town analogy. Then there's the amusing thought that an album boasting Beyoncé, Jessie Ware, Ariana Grande, Skylar Grey and a Paula Abdul sample could be considered "too hood" for anybody.

And of course I have to point out that Effrem only likes four songs from The Pinkprint. Did anyone think the rest were too urban for him?

• Upvote 1