THE BOOM BOX: Worst to Best: Every Janet Jackson Album Ranked

SonofBaldwin

Discipline-Album.jpg?w=630&h=420&zc=1&cc

http://theboombox.com/janet-jackson-albums-ranked/#photogallery-1=1

Worst to Best: Every Janet Jackson Album Ranked

Following in the footsteps of five pop stars who just happen to be your brothers is no easy task. But as the baby of the Jackson family, Janet Jackson wasn’t going to give anyone a reason to steal her shine.

Finding her way to the limelight at 7 years old after a performance with her brothers, better known as The Jackson 5, an 11-year-old Janet decided to walk down her own star-lit path by joining the cast of Good Times (1977 – 1979) followed by appearances on Different Strokes and A New Kind of Family in ’79. But it was that same year that the youngest Jackson took a step back from the small screen, and decided to release her debut, self-titled album.

Unfortunately, the project was unanticipated and seemingly unacknowledged; a similar fate Janet would face again after the release of her sophomore album, Dream Street. But it’s amazing what a two-year hiatus and a revamped production team can do.

Just months before her 20th birthday, the Indiana-born pop and R&B star gave her solo career one more try. And in this case, it’s clear that the third time really is a charm. In 1986, Janet dropped Control: the album that single-handedly put her solo career on the map. After a No. 1 album that live on the Billboard charts for 26 weeks, JJ knew she struck gold.

Since then, the music heiress has taken home five Grammy awards, watched three albums climb to the top of the Billboard 200 and garnered countless No. 1 hits with the help of her esteemed production duo, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, and her talented ex, Jermaine Dupri.

Janet isn’t a little girl from Gary, Ind. anymore, and the evolution of her music reflects her growth as an artist and a person. From Rhythm Nation to All For You, she created a artistically bold sound that’s been sampled for nearly two decades.

So just remember, her first name might be Janet, but you can always call her Ms. Jackson if you’re nasty.

Check out Worst to Best: Every Janet Jackson Album Ranked above.

Edited by SonofBaldwin

I think the list changed somewhat because the first list had  

the other 6... < VR < Control < Janet < RN1814

the one up now has.   The other 6 albums  Control < RN1814 < Janet < VR.  

I agree with the first one more but they both have their issues haha

Edited by BlackCat77
Clarification

:lol: had the wrong signs up lol. Fixed now. 

Yeah the second list is basically chronological.

i like your list but I'd switch AFY and Control. Mostly because I skip some of AFY's songs a good amount

Im biased. It was my first love and from time to time, she speaks to me -_-

but AFY is underrated. The hate for it has calmed down thanks to the 3 previous albums but I believe it's a tad bit better than janet. :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

I make no secret I prefer Dream Street to Discipline, but  in what world is 20 better than DJ? I just simply can't lol. I love that the top 3 are my top 3, only re-arranged (janet.>RN>TVR) I prefer both DJ & AFY to Control tho

Edited by jarrylf
  • Upvote 1

Im biased. It was my first love and from time to time, she speaks to me -_-

but AFY is underrated. The hate for it has calmed down thanks to the 3 previous albums but I believe it's a tad bit better than janet. :ph34r:

I guess most of that hate is/was because it's came right after VR and people expected something like that. Maybe also because it's lighter and fluffier than the past albums overall (not that it's a bad thing). The album and it's singles are nostalgic for me since I was really little haha. I think it could have been that much better if a certain 2 or 3 songs were cut and the order was rearranged though 

I don't think it's worth hating either way though :umm:

Edited by BlackCat77

I make no secret I prefer Dream Street to Discipline, but  in what world is 20 better than DJ? I just simply can't lol. I love that the top 3 are my top 3, only re-arranged (janet.>RN>TVR) I prefer both DJ to Control tho

I actually think her first two albums aren't AS bad as people make them out to be. That Jackson overdose in the early-mid 80s didn't seem to help either  :umm: . Of course they aren't going to get far with most of her albums after though.

For lack of a better word, in a Basic world 20.YO >> DJ :shifty:.  Control is the album that made me really like her music so I'm a bit bias with it 

I guess most of that hate is/was because it's came right after VR and people expected something like that. Maybe also because it's lighter and fluffier than the past albums overall (not that it's a bad thing). The album and it's singles are nostalgic for me since I was really little haha. I think it could have been that much better if a certain 2 or 3 songs were cut and the order was rearranged though 

I don't think it's worth hating either way though :umm:

yes.. People expected to Janet to be depressed.. But AFY captures the essence of Janet's "strong" personality and fits her timeline. It's the perfect follow up to TVR and her secret marriage and divorce. Some songs could have been removed (WYM, Feel So Right) but the rest had deeper meanings that didn't jump out at our faces like it has in her past. Though she strayed away from her traditional albumset up by withholding a "state of the world" track, it is by far Janet's second most personal album to date. 

I enjoy the fact knowing Janet had said AFY was her most fun album to make.

I see they changed it ~ RN1814 was #1 earlier today. Glad janet. retained the same spot tho ~ #2 is already low enough lol!

----- 

I make no secret I prefer Dream Street to Discipline, but  in what world is 20 better than DJ? I just simply can't lol. I love that the top 3 are my top 3, only re-arranged (janet.>RN>TVR) I prefer both DJ to Control tho

Ditto, so I'll take it

• Upvote 1

I actually think her first two albums aren't AS bad as people make them out to be. That Jackson overdose in the early-mid 80s didn't seem to help either  :umm: . Of course they aren't going to get far with most of her albums after though.

For lack of a better word, in a Basic world 20.YO >> DJ :shifty:.  Control is the album that made me really like her music so I'm a bit bias with it 

I agree, that and ofcourse I REALLY think A&M wanted her name to do ALLL the work, like to be fair it got her some R&B top 10 hits which is something but she needed a real push and strong campaign

Discipline should probably be ahead of her first two albums, but other then that I completely agree with the ranking

The ONLY thing that puts Discipline behind the 1st 2 albums for me personally is the vocals, she was giving good freshJanet vocals on those 1st 2 albums, and Discipline was the most she ever whispered on a album I think. It just feels like somethings missing from that album, and Greatest Ex is my least favorite Janet fan of all time for the simple fact that it's her most forgettable, I've heard it PLENTY but if you ask me to hum the melody RIGHT NOW...no. Theres a handful of Jan songs I'm not keen on, but I at least can hum them & know their melody.