Favorite Prince cover

RedSimba

Favorite Prince cover  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these is your favorite Prince cover?

• "I Feel For You" ~ Chaka Khan with Melle Mel
    • "When You Were Mine" ~ Cyndi Lauper
    • "Do Me Baby" ~ Meli'sa Morgan
    • "Nothing Compares 2 U" ~ Sinead O'Connor
    • "If I Was Your Girlfriend" ~ TLC
    • "When Doves Cry" ~ Ginuwine
    • "The Beautiful Ones" ~ Mariah Carey feat. Dru Hill
    • "She's Always In My Hair" ~ D'Angelo
    • "I Could Never Take The Place of Your Man" ~ Jordan Knight
    • "How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore" ~ Alicia Keys
    • "Kiss" ~ Maroon 5
    • other

Chaka's Feel For You is the best kind of cover there could be, it's sooo fucking eclecticly perfect/ It makes the original sound bland to me and the original isn't bland lol. The irony is I feel the same way about Whit's cover of I'm Every Woman.

Yea MC & Sis's version of The Beautiful Ones 'm not much of a fan of unless I'm under the influence of something. It's both not enough & too much. Prince's version is PERFECTION in my eyes.

I don't entirely count Nothin Compares To You as a cover because he created that song for Sinead and covered it himself years later. he did the same thing with Manic Monday for The Bangles (and other songs for other artists.

Edited by jarrylf

Chaka's Feel For You is the best kind of cover there could be, it's sooo fucking eclecticly perfect/ It makes the original sound bland to me and the original isn't bland lol. The irony is I feel the same way about Whit's cover of I'm Every Woman.

Yea MC & Sis's version of The Beautiful Ones 'm not much of a fan of unless I'm under the influence of something. It's both not enough & too much. Prince's version is PERFECTION in my eyes.

I don't entirely count Nothin Compares To You as a cover because he created that song for Sinead and covered it himself years later. he did the same thing with Manic Monday for The Bangles (and other songs for other artists.

Agreed. I prefer Whit's version of IEW as well. 

Yeah, I was debating whether or not to include NC2U. Since it was originally performed by his project The Family, I thought "close enough" lol. If anything, it's a Prince-project cover.

I left out of my post that along with Chaka's & Sinead's being better than Prince's versions, Meli'sa Morgan's Do Me Baby........there's something so special about that song that I really don't know if she did it as good as him or better, it depends on my mood honestly, but what she did was so fucking perfect with them vocals.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like Jordan Knight's I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man.

I love TLC, Melisa Morgan, and Sinead's covers.

Special mention goes out to Fantasia and Leeann Rimes' covers of Purple Rain. I saw Fantasia do it live a few years ago and cried.