Ginuwine: Aaliyah would be 'neck and neck' with Beyonce

art

Aaliyah didn't write. So by default, Beyonce is a better lyricist.

I honestly don't think Beyonce writes at all. I don't care how many credits she got either. Changing a couple words doesn't signify song writing to me. I know her payola tricks.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly don't think Beyonce writes at all. I don't care how many credits she got either. Changing a couple words doesn't signify song writing to me. I know her payola tricks.

Well you're not in the studio when Beyonce is writing, so you don't know what she does.

And changing a few words, a few chords, a few harmonies, etc all constitutes as song writing. It's just like how Janet has a songwriting credit on "What'll I Do" and how Mariah has a songwriting credit on "O Holy Night".

If you're saying changing a few words doesn't signify songwriting, Mariah, Janet, Michael, and countless others aren't lyricist either.

"I dragged dayz in the previous thread." That is cosigning yourself.

And allow me to quote a few posts from the same thread on Beyonce World:

:cheers:

That's not co-signing yourself. :rolleyes: That's simply stating facts :coffee:

Quotes from a Beyonce stan on Beyonce forum regarding a subject dealing with Beyonce? :mellow: Bitch.... :coffee:

I disagree... for a multitude of reasons.

Of course, you're a Bey stan. :coffee:

Delusion is a disease that you should have avoided. #Toolate

Nothing delusional. You got snatched in that thread...and again in this thread.... :coffee:

Girlwhereisyourwig-vi995.jpg

:excited:

Well you're not in the studio when Beyonce is writing, so you don't know what she does.

And changing a few words, a few chords, a few harmonies, etc all constitutes as song writing. It's just like how Janet has a songwriting credit on "What'll I Do" and how Mariah has a songwriting credit on "O Holy Night".

If you're saying changing a few words doesn't signify songwriting, Mariah, Janet, Michael, and countless others aren't lyricist either.

chords/harmonies count as lyricism :unsure:?

That's not co-signing yourself. :rolleyes: That's simply stating facts :coffee:

Quotes from a Beyonce stan on Beyonce forum regarding a subject dealing with Beyonce? :mellow: Bitch.... :coffee:

It is cosigning yourself. You shouldn't have to say it. It should be evident by your work. Get over it.

And using OPINIONS from Beyonce fans is just a valid as it is coming from Janet/Michael/Johan Sebastian Bach/Tierra Marie fans. FOH with the bias. I chose the unbiased opinions anyway. Sit. Also, that's an ad hominem fallacy, and consequentially invalidates your argument.

chords/harmonies count as lyricism :unsure:?

I was just using that as an example, in the grand scheme of songwriting.

But if you're specifically focusing on songwriting, then yes, changing one or two words is songwriting.

If I were to say, "I'm going to the store.", that's a sentence. If I were to say, "I'm going to a store.", I've obviously changed the sentence. It's the same way with lyricism.

I was just using that as an example, in the grand scheme of songwriting.

But if you're specifically focusing on songwriting, then yes, changing one or two words is songwriting.

If I were to say, "I'm going to the store.", that's a sentence. If I were to say, "I'm going to a store.", I've obviously changed the sentence. It's the same way with lyricism.

I never got why Aaliyah never did that :filenails:.

@ThatOtherFan I'm curious as to why you'd think that? Please explain because imo there was nothing that pointed to Aaliyah stopping Beyonce.

It goes back to what I've said NUMEROUS times. Beyonce was able to get her shine as a solo artist because certain circumstances that played into favor. Yes, she had the material and is a great talent, but that doesn't necessarily lead to success on the charts (I'm not discounting her as an artist or her material on DIL, even though that's what Austineisha and many others think I'm doing whenever we have these types of conversations). The business is NOT just about talent and material, if that were the case, the people at the "top" of the industry might not have that position. Bey benefited from the fact that Janet's AFY era was over (and when she returned she was about to through the hell we now know as the aftermath of the SB), the effect of the issues over at Murder Inc on Ashanti's career, and of course Aaliyah's death. Anyone of these three circumstances being different could've made a huge difference on Bey's solo success with DIL and after that point.

Specifically referring to Aaliyah, she was positioning herself to do some great things. If you go back to that time, she was successfully transitioning from being a "teen star" while her contemporaries (Brandy and Monica) were finding that transition alittle difficult, Aaliyah was doing some of the best numbers of her career (remember she was just on the first single of the "Aaliyah" album by that point) and had alot of things lined up that would have taken her career to another level. Which is why so many people in the industry talk about what could have been and say she was "on the verge" of so many things.

It is cosigning yourself. You shouldn't have to say it. It should be evident by your work. Get over it.

And using OPINIONS from Beyonce fans is just a valid as it is coming from Janet/Michael/Johan Sebastian Bach/Tierra Marie fans. FOH with the bias. I chose the unbiased opinions anyway. Sit. Also, that's an ad hominem fallacy, and consequentially invalidates your argument.

It isn't co-signing. :coffee: It's merely giving the facts. He was snatched and dragged, and his bald scalp is still feeling the effects of it. :coffee:

It isn't valid in this type of an argument, because a stan is always go to side with it's fav. As you said, you posted opinions (from bey stans)...as if it has any weight in a debate like this.

So again...Quotes from a Beyonce stan on Beyonce forum regarding a subject dealing with Beyonce? :mellow: Bitch.... :coffee:

Okay, let's just say Beyonce did use DC3 as a stepping stone for her career:

"At the time of Aaliyah's death Destiny's Child had far outsold and outpaced her on the charts. The Writing's on the Wall alone had been certified 7 times platinum and was on it's way to 8. Let's not forget Survivor which sold over 600,000 copies it's first week. Aaliyah never posted those kinds of numbers. Aaliyah had one Hot 100 number one while at the time Destiny's child already had four monstrous hits, Say My Name, Bills, Bills, Bills, Independent Women and Bootylicious, under their belt. Beyonce had already won 2 of her grammys at the time of Aaliyah's death while Aaliyah never won ANY. It doesn't matter that she was completely different type of artist than Beyonce. It doesn't matter that she influenced other people. The cold hard facts show that Beyonce/Destiny's Child had already surpassed her in success and popularity and if you extrapolate and speculate based on these facts, then Aaliyah never would have even caught up let alone been on the same level. "

-Fancydancer

It isn't co-signing. :coffee: It's merely giving the facts. He was snatched and dragged, and his bald scalp is still feeling the effects of it. :coffee:

It isn't valid in this type of an argument, because a stan is always go to side with it's fav. As you said, you posted opinions (from bey stans)...as if it has any weight in a debate like this.

So again...Quotes from a Beyonce stan on Beyonce forum regarding a subject dealing with Beyonce? :mellow: Bitch.... :coffee:

I'm not a Bey stan and it's clear to say they wouldn't be neck and neck. Musically, Aaliyah would have faded along with Toni, Ashanti, Brandy, Monica, Mya and so on. Aaliyah would be a great actress though...and would probably have success in the music world off soundtracks.

And to take it a step further:

Dangerously In Love vs Aaliyah

DIL went 4x platinum, while Aaliyah only went 2x platinum. "We Need A Resolution" and "Rock The Boat" only made it to #59 and #14 on the Hot 100 respectively. It's obvious that ppl didn't care too much for her when she was alive, much less when she died. In the event of an untimely death, record sales typically spark, a la MJ, Teena Marie, etc. Aaliyah didn't experience neither of that as her album only went 2x platinum, and the follow up only went platinum.

DIL went 4x platinum, debuted at #1, produced two #1 singles for a total of 17 weeks at #1 (the most weeks at #1 on the Hot 100 from a debut album), and produced two other top 5 singles. Not only did it win 5 Grammys, but it cemented Beyonce as being the first Black female to simultaneously have the #1 single AND album in both the US AND the UK. Aaliyah's singles didn't do well on the UK chart, or anywhere else internationally.

Archived