Ginuwine: Aaliyah would be 'neck and neck' with Beyonce

art

@ThatOtherFan It has nothing to do with me being a Beyonce fan. There are several people in this thread who could give two shits about Bey in this thread that practically said the same thing I've always said.

I like them both & I ADORE Aaliyah's final album, but theres no logical "coulda, woulda, shoulda" that points to Aaliyah being neck & neck with Beyonce. Aaliyah couldnt even outdo ugly Trandy in the 90's & Tit for tat Beyonce's solo albums have outsold Aaliyah's. Having said that the best case scenarios imo would be...

her being an early 00's girl(similar to JLo only not as sucessful)

her having a more sucessful career in movies

or her just being in her own lane(IE- like Alicia, but she still would have came in third to both her & Bey)

Other than that her album was flopping before she died & thats no shade because like I said I really like it.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, but I'm saying she had the opportunity and the type of films coming up that could have played a SIGNIFICANT role in her music career.

The whole point is that had she lived Bey might have had her time to shine...so no, she wouldn't have been overlooked. :rolleyes:

The same damn certifications... :rolleyes: they probably did sell more. There was huge spike in her sales after she passed. -_-

Just because she had the opportunity doesn't mean it would work. I'm not hating on her (this time), but the chicks that were out as the same time as her were more successful and faded...she would have found the same faith.

You're missing the whole point...we're saying she would have been overlooked musically (meaning her own singles and albums that weren't for movies). As far as movies, she would be big.

Which made those certifications bigger :rolleyes:

& I see we're bringing up her sales.

If you want the tea on that I have a picture saved from BB from all the 90's black "teen-queens" I guess you would call them.

Brandy- 8,621,000 (Between 5 albums & 1 compilation album)

Aaliyah- 8,151,000 (Between 3 albums & 1 compilation album)

Monica- 4,809,000 (Between 4 albums)

Mya- 3,211,000 (Between 3 albums)

Its wasnt broken up from album to album but thats their total stateside.

Mad? :wave:

Yes. <_<

The RIAA has her debut at 2x platinum, OIAM at 2x platinum, self title at 2x platinum, and IC4U at platinum. That's 7mil, which leaves 1 million as reported by Soundscan/Billoard.

She was on the verge of accomplishing more, but she would not be neck and neck with Beyonce. Aaliyah wasn't even international when she was alive, and her singles weren't doing much before she died. She was a lesser girl to Brandy and Monica on the charts. If she hadn't died, she wouldn't have passed Monica in album sales, and didn't even past Brandy. She had a so-so voice that wasn't good at carrying a melody, but better at harmonizing. She was a so-so dancer. Her performances always lacked energy, and her delivery sucked. If you look at to how she performed when in 1994, to how she performed in 2001, there wasn't much growth as a performer. She did have a decent evolution musically, but it was obvious from the sales that ppl weren't interested. If you die, and your most recent album only goes 2x platinum, that means the people weren't that interested in you. And the shade is that AABAN and Aaliyah didn't got 2x platinum until after she died. Not to mention it took 6 months for the latter to go double platinum. Aaliyah was not on her way to shutting down the game. Her last two albums got decent reviews from the critics, her first was laughed at. She was on her way to being a full time actress because every time she released an album, she took the back seat to someone. And yes OIAM did go 2x platinum, and the follow up did the same. That means that she was going places musically if she was consistently stuck at 2x platinum. She would not be on Beyonce's level if she were still alive today. Fact.

Which is a million more than you tried to claim initially. :rolleyes:

Aaliyah, along with Brandy and Monica, were transitioning from teen star phase of their careers, and of the three (at that time) Aaliyah was having the most success establishing her success as an adult in the industry.

The "Aaliyah" album went on to sell 2x plat after she passed, but again you forget that ONLY one single/video from that project had been released before she died. There was alot planned for that album in terms of singles/videos, and also I believe she was planning to headline a tour at that time, which is something she hadn't done up to that point (I'm not sure about this, but it's something I remember hearing/reading at that time). Sometimes projects build over time, it's not an immediate success...go back and look at OIAM. Look at where it opened on the charts, etc. Yet it still ultimately did 2x plat...and it received that cert BEFORE she passed.

She would've possibly prevented or had a significant impact on the kind of success Beyonce's first solo project had....again it's not so much what she did (which is alot), it's what she was about to do...

Just because she had the opportunity doesn't mean it would work. I'm not hating on her (this time), but the chicks that were out as the same time as her were more successful and faded...she would have found the same faith.

You're missing the whole point...we're saying she would have been overlooked musically (meaning her own singles and albums that weren't for movies). As far as movies, she would be big.

Which made those certifications bigger :rolleyes:

Doesn't mean it wouldn't have worked either. :thumbup:

Of the R&B chicks in the game (with the exception of Alicia) she was having the most success and of the black teen stars (Her, Brandy, and Monica) she was having the most success (at that time) transitioning to an adult R&B singer.

You're missing the point...her success in movies would have been used as a platform for her already successful career in music.

DEAD at 7 guests in here.

Austin, stop :rolleyes:

He ALWAYS does this whenever he can't "fight a battle" by himself. :sigh:

@ThatOtherFan It has nothing to do with me being a Beyonce fan. There are several people in this thread who could give two shits about Bey in this thread that practically said the same thing I've always said.

I like them both & I ADORE Aaliyah's final album, but theres no logical "coulda, woulda, shoulda" that points to Aaliyah being neck & neck with Beyonce. Aaliyah couldnt even outdo ugly Trandy in the 90's & Tit for tat Beyonce's solo albums have outsold Aaliyah's. Having said that the best case scenarios imo would be...

her being an early 00's girl(similar to JLo only not as sucessful)

her having a more sucessful career in movies

or her just being in her own lane(IE- like Alicia, but she still would have came in third to both her & Bey)

Other than that her album was flopping before she died & thats no shade because like I said I really like it.

Alot of people accept things the way they are, and don't look at them from a different perspective...as for you, you're just a bey stan. :coffee:

There is plenty of logic in the Aaliyah would have been "neck and neck with Bey" or perhaps had a significant impact on Bey's solo success. When you look at what Aaliyah had planned and how that could've been used as a platform for her already successful music career, you see what others in the industry have said over the years.

She was on the verge of accomplishing some great things....

Which is a million more than you tried to claim initially. :rolleyes:

Aaliyah, along with Brandy and Monica, were transitioning from teen star phase of their careers, and of the three (at that time) Aaliyah was having the most success establishing her success as an adult in the industry.

The "Aaliyah" album went on to sell 2x plat after she passed, but again you forget that ONLY one single/video from that project had been released before she died. There was alot planned for that album in terms of singles/videos, and also I believe she was planning to headline a tour at that time, which is something she hadn't done up to that point (I'm not sure about this, but it's something I remember hearing/reading at that time). Sometimes projects build over time, it's not an immediate success...go back and look at OIAM. Look at where it opened on the charts, etc. Yet it still ultimately did 2x plat...and it received that cert BEFORE she passed.

She would've possibly prevented or had a significant impact on the kind of success Beyonce's first solo project had....again it's not so much what she did (which is alot), it's what she was about to do...

I know her debut went 2x platinum. Let's not. :rolleyes:

Do you honestly think that if Aaliyah had lived she was gonna be selling out when her album was only 2x platinum? :mellow: What was she gonna be playin - tailgate parties and AA meetings? :mellow: Again, an untimely death usually sparks sales. Aaliyah only managed to go 2x platinum with her last album. She was never a huge artist and the numbers don't lie. Monica and Brandy were both miles ahead of her on the charts and in sales prior to her death. She was playing catch up. It's clear Beyonce put an end to Brandy and Mya, and it would have been the same for Aaliyah. Correct me if I'm wrong, Beyonce was placed on Carmen over Aaliyah, she had won an ASCAP award before Aaliyah died, and she was doing other solo projects. Beyonce was on her way to shitting on Aaliyah before she died.

Doesn't mean it wouldn't have worked either. :thumbup:

Of the R&B chicks in the game (with the exception of Alicia) she was having the most success and of the black teen stars (Her, Brandy, and Monica) she was having the most success (at that time) transitioning to an adult R&B singer.

You're missing the point...her success in movies would have been used as a platform for her already successful career in music.

It wouldn't :lol:

How so when Brandy's Never Say Never album did way better than any of Aaliyah's (US and worldwide) :lol: And Brandy's singles were doing way better than Aaliyah (US and worldwide). She would have fell out musically minus the one or two hits due to soundtracks.

Chile...

I know her debut went 2x platinum. Let's not. :rolleyes:

Do you honestly think that if Aaliyah had lived she was gonna be selling out when her album was only 2x platinum? :mellow: What was she gonna be playin - tailgate parties and AA meetings? :mellow: Again, an untimely death usually sparks sales. Aaliyah only managed to go 2x platinum with her last album. She was never a huge artist and the numbers don't lie. Monica and Brandy were both miles ahead of her on the charts and in sales prior to her death. She was playing catch up. It's clear Beyonce put an end to Brandy and Mya, and it would have been the same for Aaliyah. Correct me if I'm wrong, Beyonce was placed on Carmen over Aaliyah, she had won an ASCAP award before Aaliyah died, and she was doing other solo projects. Beyonce was on her way to shitting on Aaliyah before she died.

You said 1x plat initially...unless you've edited that post. :rolleyes:

I don't know what they had planned, but it probably would have been a theater tour, and considering her hits celebrity within R&B I think it would have been successful.

Neither Brandy nor Monica were MILES ahead of Aaliyah. The three of them were basically the "it" girls of R&B at the time, and Brandy was top of the three, but there was never some significant or great divide between the three of them. However, at the time when the three of them were transitioning from teen to adult singing careers, Aaliyah was (at that time) having the most success of the three.

Aaliah had roles that actually mattered over Beyonce. :rolleyes: Again, if the other projects she had lined up came to fruition that would've been used as a platform to her ALREADY successful music career. That possibly would have had a significant impact on Beyonce's first solo project and the type of success it had.

It wouldn't :lol:

How so when Brandy's Never Say Never album did way better than any Aaliyah's (US and worldwide) :lol: And Brandy's singles were doing way better than Aaliyah (US and worldwide). She would have fell out musically minus the one or two hits due to soundtracks.

Chile...

It would. ^_^

Never Say Never was released in 98. Brandy's next album (released in 2002), and her first as an adult struggled. Same with Monica. Aaliyah was having the most success of the three as an adult (at that time).

Her success in films would have been a platform for her already successful music career, and you know it. :rolleyes:

It would. ^_^

Never Say Never was released in 98. Brandy's next album (released in 2002), and her first as an adult struggled. Same with Monica. Aaliyah was having the most success of the three (at that time).

Her success in films would have been a platform for her already successful music career, and you know it. :rolleyes:

:lmao:

Aaliyah's album did better due to the death but out of those 4 singles, only 2 were a Top 20 hit. Brandy was well on her way to making herself a hasbeen while fading, but her album went platinum and out of her 3 singles, 1 was a Top 10 hit and another one was a Top 20.

Darlin'...

Alot of people accept things the way they are, and don't look at them from a different perspective...as for you, you're just a bey stan. :coffee:

There is plenty of logic in the Aaliyah would have been "neck and neck with Bey" or perhaps had a significant impact on Bey's solo success. When you look at what Aaliyah had planned and how that could've been used as a platform for her already successful music career, you see what others in the industry have said over the years.

She was on the verge of accomplishing some great things....

I did accept it from another perspective. Didn't you see my options?

I know that she had in store as far as movies & it wasnt anything that would do some major damage imo.

The Matrix role was a minor one & she had that Sparkle produced by Whitney or w/e but nothing (outside the Matrix) screamed "BIG THINGS" in the sense it would dent anyones career.

Musically as I said before I'd give her the early 00's but thats it.

:lmao:

Aaliyah's album did better due to the death but out of those 4 singles, only 2 were a Top 20 hit. Brandy was well on her way to making herself a hasbeen while fading, but her album went platinum and out of her 3 singles, 1 was a Top 10 hit and another one was a Top 20.

Darlin'...

:rolleyes:

I'm referring to BEFORE she passed. You forget she debuted at #2 with the highest numbers of her career, and again only one single/video had been released before she passed. So it wasn't entirely her death that was successful for that project.

Her future project = Platform for her already successful music career :coffee:

You said 1x plat initially...unless you've edited that post. :rolleyes:

I don't know what they had planned, but it probably would have been a theater tour, and considering her hits celebrity within R&B I think it would have been successful.

Neither Brandy nor Monica were MILES ahead of Aaliyah. The three of them were basically the "it" girls of R&B at the time, and Brandy was top of the three, but there was never some significant or great divide between the three of them. However, at the time when the three of them were transitioning from teen to adult singing careers, Aaliyah was (at that time) having the most success of the three.

Aaliah had roles that actually mattered over Beyonce. :rolleyes: Again, if the other projects she had lined up came to fruition that would've been used as a platform to her ALREADY successful music career. That possibly would have had a significant impact on Beyonce's first solo project and the type of success it had.

I'm pretty sure I said 2x platinum. If not, sue me. :rolleyes:

Brandy and Monica were both miles ahead of Aaliyah in the 90s. :lmao: By the time the 90s closed, Monica had notched 7 top 10 hits on the Hot 100 AND R&B chart (ALL of them consecutive). Brandy claimed 6 top 10s on the Hot 100 and 8 on the R&B chart. Aaliyah had 3 top 10 Hot 100 hits. :mellow: Bear in mind all of them released 2 albums in the 90s. :mellow: Aaliyah was playing catch up, but didn't quite catch up. And the singles from the last album weren't gonna help either.

Aaliyah was on her way to getting shut down. She was never a crossover act like Beyonce. She doesn't have commercial appeal. She offers nothing Beyonce doesn't. She wouldn't have survived Alicia, would have gotten lost in the Crunk N' B phase from 2004 - 2007, and would be lost in the current pop trend of electro/pop.

I did accept it from another perspective. Didn't you see my options?

I know that she had in store as far as movies & it wasnt anything that would do some major damage imo.

The Matrix role was a minor one & she had that Sparkle produced by Whitney or w/e but nothing (outside the Matrix) screamed "BIG THINGS" in the sense it would dent anyones career.

Musically as I said before I'd give her the early 00's but thats it.

The Matrix roles, Sparkle, Honey (which was recast with Jessica Alba), etc and that just what she had lined up in 2001. She would've positioned herself as one of the "go to" black actresses in Hollywood (because you know there's only a handful of black actors they use in the industry :umm: )...there's no telling where what she had planned would have led to and how that would've impacted her music career. That's what I meant by seeing it from a different perspective.

The Matrix roles, Sparkle, Honey (which was recast with Jessica Alba), etc and that just what she had lined up in 2001. She would've positioned herself as one of the "go to" black actresses in Hollywood (because you know there's only a handful of black actors they use in the industry :umm: )...there's no telling where what she had planned would have led to and how that would've impacted her music career. That's what I meant by seeing it from a different perspective.

Which essentially falls under me saying shed be in her own lane/more successful in movies & seeing it from a different perspective.

:rolleyes:

I'm referring to BEFORE she passed. You forget she debuted at #2 with the highest numbers of her career, and again only one single/video had been released before she passed. So it wasn't entirely her death that was successful for that project.

Her future project = Platform for her already successful music career :coffee:

^_^

"We Need a Resolution" right? The song that peaked at #58 on the Hot 100, #15 on the R&B charts and was only a Top 20 hit in 1 country right? That is not success. So you tell me selling almost 190,000 copies meant she was going to make it big :lmao: Just stop :lmao:

Nope :filenails:

I'm pretty sure I said 2x platinum. If not, sue me. :rolleyes:

Brandy and Monica were both miles ahead of Aaliyah in the 90s. :lmao: By the time the 90s closed, Monica had notched 7 top 10 hits on the Hot 100 AND R&B chart (ALL of them consecutive). Brandy claimed 6 top 10s on the Hot 100 and 8 on the R&B chart. Aaliyah had 3 top 10 Hot 100 hits. :mellow: Bear in mind all of them released 2 albums in the 90s. :mellow: Aaliyah was playing catch up, but didn't quite catch up. And the singles from the last album weren't gonna help either.

Aaliyah was on her way to getting shut down. She was never a crossover act like Beyonce. She doesn't have commercial appeal. She offers nothing Beyonce doesn't. She wouldn't have survived Alicia, would have gotten lost in the Crunk N' B phase from 2004 - 2007, and would be lost in the current pop trend of electro/pop.

You said 1x plat... *calls lawyers* :coffee:

Album sales sweetie... plenty of people can be "singles girls" (I'm not saying Brandy and Monica were singles girls), but can they parlay that into album sales? Brandy was the in the lead, but the three of them were the "it" girls in R&B.

Aaliyah had many things lined up that would've been a platform for her already successful career in music. With the type of success she about to have, it could've played a significant role in the first solo project of Beyonce, and the type of success she had.

Archived