What's In a Word? The "N" word The "F" word?

Bailey

I don't understand the issue with certain words that will not be named by myself here. I have heard forum members on here say flat out they do not care for the use of the "N" word in any form, now my question is why? What power does a word have over you other than the power you allow it to have? Folks will call you all kinds of things in this life, they throw dirt on you in life and they gonna throw dirt on you in death. I can't let this stuff get to me, so for those that don't like the use of the word, I wanna know what they propose to have done, because it's not like people don't think it nor speak it, it's more like the minute you tell folks NOT to do something is when they do it all the time to piss you off.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could have combined this with the thread about Kobe. :thumbdown::rolleyes:

Let me ask you something(s) :

1. Do you have an issue with me cause I barely know who you are?

2. This topic is completely separate of Kobe, Kobe is a thread in itself

3. Where is your response?

Anyone who thinks calling someone a ****** is just as offensive as calling someone a faggot is just flat out stupid and ignorant.

ok I get the offensive part but what about the use of the word ending in a? I hear guys call each other that all the time?

Let me ask you something(s) :

1. Do you have an issue with me cause I barely know who you are?

2. This topic is completely separate of Kobe, Kobe is a thread in itself

3. Where is your response?

1. No I don't have a problem with you.

2. You are smart enough to see the connection between both threads. Don't play dumb.

3. When you know the history and the true meaning of a word it tends to carry more weight. Not necessarily power. But there is really no need to call anyone either of those words unless you have a deep seeded hatred inside yourself. Now if that is the context of your friendship with that person, and they are cool with it, then have at it. But I just don't see the need to use them. Even though I have in the past. I try not to now.

This thread has potential to be a good one if people were more mature and less defensive.

There are some great forum members here who do not go out of their way to be stupid they just real and I respect that not everyone here "gets along" either but I will say we have plenty of forum members here that can engage in this convo with some sense.

Thank You, I thought the same thing at first, +1 for you *ding* fantasy_237.gif

1. No I don't have a problem with you.

2. You are smart enough to see the connection between both threads. Don't play dumb.

3. When you know the history and the true meaning of a word it tends to carry more weight. Not necessarily power. But there is really no need to call anyone either of those words unless you have a deep seeded hatred inside yourself. Now if that is the context of your friendship with that person, and they are cool with it, then have at it. But I just don't see the need to use them. Even though I have in the past. I try not to now.

Ok now with all due respect your response has me confused either the word is not to be used or it is? You make it sound like well depending on the homies and if they cool, I have used the word within that context on this board only to be told I should not use it at all, hell I used it on a white dude that's how much the word means to me -_-

ok I get the offensive part but what about the use of the word ending in a? I hear guys call each other that all the time?

Nigga is used by Blacks as a term of endearment. Similarly, women say "That's my bitch" when referring to one of their good friends for example.

It's not used offensively, but it can be if used in the wrong context.

Anyone who thinks calling someone a ****** is just as offensive as calling someone a faggot is just flat out stupid and ignorant.

I hate to generalize here but I really don't expect much from athletes and actors or whomever else that didn't sit in a college room and earn a degree sorry but that's how I feel. So the fact Kobe said that in the moment of heat , well I kinda thought consider the source, what is interesting to me is on facebook the reactions of Black folks like so Kobe was mad.

Nigga is used by Blacks as a term of endearment. Similarly, women say "That's my bitch" when referring to one of their good friends for example.

It's not used offensively, but it can be if used in the wrong context.

we on a slippery slope so now your saying the word can be used depending on the context? So there is no don't use the word every in any form stand made here?

I hate to generalize here but I really don't expect much from athletes and actors or whomever else that didn't sit in a college room and earn a degree sorry but that's how I feel. So the fact Kobe said that in the moment of heat , well I kinda thought consider the source, what is interesting to me is on facebook the reactions of Black folks like so Kobe was mad.

One thing I've noticed is when straight males use the term faggot, they don't mean it to be derogatory to gays. They use it as a means to demean/insult another person. Now if they used it towards an actual gay male, there's obviously a difference.

Ok now with all due respect your response has me confused either the word is not to be used or it is? You make it sound like well depending on the homies and if they cool, I have used the word within that context on this board only to be told I should not use it at all, hell I used it on a white dude that's how much the word means to me -_-

Maybe what I should say is that I can't control a persons response to the word. If you and your friends are cool calling each other those names, then I get it and that's your choice. I still have the option not to engage.

One thing I've noticed is when straight males use the term faggot, they don't mean it to be derogatory to gays. They use it as a means to demean/insult another person. Now if they used it towards an actual gay male, there's obviously a difference.

It's still offensive towards gays because they're implying that that persons is behaving or acting in a manor that is GAY. They are implying that being gay is a bad thing. They are insulting the target of their hostility and gay people at the same time.

It's still offensive towards gays because they're implying that that persons is behaving or acting in a manor that is GAY. They are implying that being gay is a bad thing. They are insulting the target of their hostility and gay people at the same time.

And you think that's comparable to a word used to degrade the entire Black race, perpetuate White supremacy, tell the tale of the hardships of slavery, and illustrate the struggle for Blacks to achieve political, social, and economic equality?

And you think that's comparable to a word used to degrade the entire Black race, perpetuate White supremacy, tell the tale of the hardships of slavery, and illustrate the struggle for Blacks to achieve political, social, and economic equality?

Yes I think they're comparable because they're rooted in the same hatred. They are, and have historically been, used to degrade and ridicule an entire group of people. It doesn't matter that the people and culture are different. What matters is the intent to do emotional harm. African Americans do not have the monopoly on pain. Slurs used against other ethnic groups are just as hurtful to them as the N word is to you.

Yes I think they're comparable because they're rooted in the same hatred. They are, and have historically been, used to degrade and ridicule an entire group of people. It doesn't matter that the people and culture are different. What matters is the intent to do emotional harm. African Americans do not have the monopoly on pain. Slurs used against other ethnic groups are just as hurtful to them as the N word is to you.

They are NOT rooted in the same hatred. ****** is rooted in the perpetuation of inferiority of Blacks to their White counterparts. Faggot is rooted in ignorance and the lack of accepting socially different ppl. Faggot does not have the historical pretenses that ****** does, by no means. Can you honestly say Blacks and homosexuals have fought the same battles? Get real. :rolleyes:

They are NOT rooted in the same hatred. ****** is rooted in the perpetuation of inferiority of Blacks to their White counterparts. Faggot is rooted in ignorance and the lack of accepting socially different ppl. Faggot does not have the historical pretenses that ****** does, by no means. Can you honestly say Blacks and homosexuals have fought the same battles?

We're fighting some of those same battles right now. :mellow:

We're fighting some of those same battles right now. :mellow:

They are NOT rooted in the same hatred. ****** is rooted in the perpetuation of inferiority of Blacks to their White counterparts. Faggot is rooted in ignorance and the lack of accepting socially different ppl. Faggot does not have the historical pretenses that ****** does, by no means.

Archived