What's In a Word? The "N" word The "F" word?

Bailey

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My take on both words is negative and always has been. I'm still confused by black rappers who use the N word in every other song, and even more confused by those who say "we took ownership of it" like that's something to be proud of. It's really not. A lot of gay guys are the same, calling each other the F word and laughing. There aren't ten other words in your vocabulary to describe a friend?

as a Black man I disagree, when you can take the ammo from the enemy and turn it into something useless to them then you won. :filenails:

I've never had it, it doesn't really appeal to me. It's traditionally made from pig's heart, liver and fatty belly meat or bacon minced together, with herbs. I'm not a huge fan of offal :&

They might as well call it "Clog your arteries" :mellow:

That's not winning. It's perpetutating a divide between blacks and whites and looking proudly ignorant in the process.

you concern about the divide between whites and blacks then do something about it what ya gone do? Huh? Step to me :whistle:

you concern about the divide between whites and blacks then do something about it what ya gone do? Huh? Step to me :whistle:

Doesn't it tell you something when most White people think black people are doing themselves a disservice by using that word. It really does make black people that use it look stupid and ignorant to the majority of people. Most hear you use it and wonder why, others pity your low self esteem, others thing you are retarded, and some agree...yes, you are a ******, they think.

Doesn't it tell you something when most White people think black people are doing themselves a disservice by using that word. It really does make black people that use it look stupid and ignorant to the majority of people. Most hear you use it and wonder why, others pity your low self esteem, others thing you are retarded, and some agree...yes, you are a ******, they think.

I think it's just a sense of White guilt, they seem to have this need to make sure they don't come off racist so they run from the word I have seen it a lot, it's like because they're white that word can never come from their mouth and all that other stuff you said was way over the top, issue is clear you have issues with the word thus your response ..pretty simple..and what do I care what White people think about my being Black when they will never understand it fully ever :crazy:

I think it's just a sense of White guilt, they seem to have this need to make sure they don't come off racist so they run from the word I have seen it a lot, it's like because they're white that word can never come from their mouth and all that other stuff you said was way over the top, issue is clear you have issues with the word thus your response ..pretty simple..and what do I care what White people think about my being Black when they will never understand it fully ever :crazy:

This White person has seen how Blacks react when a White person uses that word - so yeah we ain't use it when you guys wanna act totally extra :sigh:

Jbailey......I'm in a position where I can tell you what White people wouldnt.....now obviously I'm generalising greatly here but:

White people don't have guilt about black issues.

White people don't even think about black people too much

White people think you are an idiot to use a derogatory term to describe yourself. White people don't do that.

White people don't care whether you care what they think or not.

It's about having pride in who you are, and if you really thought you were worth anything you wouldn't use derogatory words to describe yourself.

****** has connotations of stupidity and laziness and inferiority....what ur really saying is "hey stupid, what's up" or "hey lazy" or whichever of the many negative aspects the word has. No other group of people would defend their right to use such a negative word on each other. That says a lot about the state of mind and damage done to many in the black community.

Jbailey......I'm in a position where I can tell you what White people wouldnt.....now obviously I'm generalising greatly here but:

White people don't have guilt about black issues.

White people don't even think about black people too much

White people think you are an idiot to use a derogatory term to describe yourself. White people don't do that.

White people don't care whether you care what they think or not.

It's about having pride in who you are, and if you really thought you were worth anything you wouldn't use derogatory words to describe yourself.

Nigger has connotations of stupidity and laziness and inferiority....what ur really saying is "hey stupid, what's up" or "hey lazy" or whichever of the many negative aspects the word has. No other group of people would defend their right to use such a negative word on each other. That says a lot about the state of mind and damage done to many in the black community.

Absolutely. I have NEVER heard two white people saying "Hey, that's my honky" or "That's my cracka"

Even though this topic has been done to death before I'll throw in my 2 pennies.

IMO a word is a word, regardless of how it's spelt. The N-er word (I refuse to type it) was first used in the Deep South by a white man as a racial slur (obviously).

the deep south?! no... you're American History is off...

it was used all across this country

I think Selz was referring to the height of its use, which was in the deep South.

i don't like the word "deep" south... the "south" is the perfect phrase

that makes it sound as if it were in just the southest of south USA... when it was everywhere in the south...

it makes it sound small... limited... within a boundary.. sorry.. i'm picky?

that makes it sound as if it were in just the southest of south USA... when it was everywhere in the south...

But you have to look at the word in its historical context. When we say ******, we're referring to a time when the 13 original colonies are "The United States", all of which predating westered expansion. When you say "south" and "southeast", at least for me, you're mixing two geographical areas as well as time periods. "South" means pre Civil War all the way to the tail end of Reconstruction. When you say "Southeast", it's more modern. ****** was used in the south, there's no getting around that. And I think that's what Selz is referring to, although her wording of "deep south" does imply the most hick of towns. :lol:

But you have to look at the word in its historical context. When we say ******, we're referring to a time when the 13 original colonies are "The United States", all of which predating westered expansion. When you say "south" and "southeast", at least for me, you're mixing two geographical areas as well as time periods. "South" means pre Civil War all the way to the tail end of Reconstruction. When you say "Southeast", it's more modern. ****** was used in the south, there's no getting around that. And I think that's what Selz is referring to, although her wording of "deep south" does imply the most hick of towns. :lol:

the word wasn't just used in the "Deep south".. the word was used all across the nation before and after the civil war...

From the first time this nation adopted slavery until now.. that word has been used...

to focus JUST on the hick towns... makes it historically.. incorrect

the word wasn't just used in the "Deep south".. the word was used all across the nation before and after the civil war...

From the first time this nation adopted slavery until now.. that word has been used...

to focus JUST on the hick towns... makes it historically.. incorrect

Your use of ellipses and periods with spaces really bothers me. :umm:

Granted the word was widespread, you have to keep in mind that the north was more lenient to Blacks. So IDK if the word was a frequently used in the north as it was in the south because of their sympathy/empathy towards slaves if you will. But again, you have to think of it in historical context. When you say ******, you're obviously referring to black oppression in the south.

I be hatin sucka MC's, and the sucka niggas

Posin like they hard when we know they damn card

what you figure, rhyme-wise, I do the figure eight

So concisely, musically we are the herb so sit back

and light me *inhalation noise* inhale *echoes*

My style is kinda fat reminescent of a whale

Young girls desires for the females dreams

I be the Abstract Poetic representin from Queens

Socially I'm not a name, black and white got game

If you came to the jam well I'm glad you came

See, nigga first was used down in the Deep South :lol:

Fallin out between the dome of the white man's mouth

It means that we will never grow, you know the word dummy

Other niggas in the community think it's crummy

But I don't, neither does the youth cause we

em-brace adversity it goes right with the race

Yo I start to flinch, as I try not to say it

But my lips is like the oowop as I start to spray it

My lips is like a oowop as I start to spray it

My lips is like a oowop, yo you know the rest

And picky... yeah you are... lately you seem trying to pick a fight with me. You should slow your roll Norman :sigh:

I be hatin sucka MC's, and the sucka niggas

Posin like they hard when we know they damn card

what you figure, rhyme-wise, I do the figure eight

So concisely, musically we are the herb so sit back

and light me *inhalation noise* inhale *echoes*

My style is kinda fat reminescent of a whale

Young girls desires for the females dreams

I be the Abstract Poetic representin from Queens

Socially I'm not a name, black and white got game

If you came to the jam well I'm glad you came

See, nigga first was used down in the Deep South :lol:

Fallin out between the dome of the white man's mouth

It means that we will never grow, you know the word dummy

Other niggas in the community think it's crummy

But I don't, neither does the youth cause we

em-brace adversity it goes right with the race

Yo I start to flinch, as I try not to say it

But my lips is like the oowop as I start to spray it

My lips is like a oowop as I start to spray it

My lips is like a oowop, yo you know the rest

And picky... yeah you are... lately you seem trying to pick a fight with me. You should slow your roll Norman :sigh:

The Tribe! :excited:

Your use of ellipses and periods with spaces really bothers me. :umm:

Granted the word was widespread, you have to keep in mind that the north was more lenient to Blacks. So IDK if the word was a frequently used in the north as it was in the south because of their sympathy/empathy towards slaves if you will. But again, you have to think of it in historical context. When you say ******, you're obviously referring to black oppression in the south.

more "lenient" towards blacks?

that's like saying "Hitler was more lenient towards Jewish women"... or did i go too far with that statement? bad comparison..

yes, when discussing the word.. we're mostly talking about the confederates... but let's not ignore the ignorant of the north

So when a doctor uses 'fag', is it a slur? For the N-Word, it's very clear that it's viewed as "offensive" when a non-Black (mainly white folks) uses any form of the word regardless if they're angry or not. With 'faggot' ('fag') too, it's normally viewed as "offensive" only when someone uses it when they're angry. If that's the case, they're not that comparable.

Why would a doctor have to use the word "Fag"? What other meaning does "Fag" have here in the states? Yes the word has multiple meanings, but not here in the US. We don't call cigarettes "Fags" here, nor would a person be referring to twigs to light a fire. Its used as an insult. I never hear fag or faggot used as anything but an insult. Even when straight people are just playing around. The N word on the other hand has been flipped and now we as black folks call each other that, sometimes as insults, but other times for kinship. So much so that now I hear asians, latino's and other ethnic groups throwing the word around amongst themselves. Yes Gay men call each other fags, but not on the level that black folks use the N word. Only when white folks use the N word is it seen as an insult. Whenever anybody other than those in gay culture use the F word, its usually in the context of an insult. So maybe the words aren't comparable. Maybe the F word is the worse of the two.

Archived