What's In a Word? The "N" word The "F" word?

Bailey

His reaction to my opinion says otherwise. He was clearly rattled enough to bring a conversation from one thread to another. The exclamation points, the name calling and the eye rolling indicate the word bothers him.

No Ms. Straw Man, the word itself never bothered me. I said I had an issue with you ppl thinking ****** and faggot were equally offensive. I was arguing that ****** is worse. Go back and READ.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Ms. Straw Man, the word itself never bothered me. I said I had an issue with you ppl thinking ****** and faggot were equally offensive. I was arguing that ****** is worse. Go back and READ.

I read all your post. And you still seem bothered to me. If a word has know power over you, then why does it matter that I think they're equally offensive? You came into this thread on the attack about said issue from the kobe thread. You want to pretend that you are sooooo above being offended by the N word, but when I equated it to the F word you were ready to scratch my eyes out. Clearly it causes some type of emotion in you.

I read all your post. And you still seem bothered to me. If a word has know power over you, then why does it matter that I think they're equally offensive? You came into this thread on the attack about said issue from the kobe thread. You want to pretend that you are sooooo above being offended by the N word, but when I equated it to the F word you were ready to scratch my eyes out. Clearly it causes some type of emotion in you.

In order for me to be controlled by the word, someone would have to call me a ****** and I'd have to act like a ******. You're still on the straw man. I was arguing that ****** is worse than faggot because of the historical meaning behind it. Don't confuse being controlled by the word with presenting an argument, which is what I think you're doing. We can have a 10 page discussion about ****** and faggot for all I care, and I still won't care if someone calls me a ******.

In order for me to be controlled by the word, someone would have to call me a ****** and I'd have to act like a ******. You're still on the straw man. I was arguing that ****** is worse than faggot because of the historical meaning behind it. Don't confuse being controlled by the word with presenting an argument, which is what I think you're doing. We can have a 10 page discussion about ****** and faggot for all I care, and I still won't care if someone calls me a ******.

Would you care if a white person called you that? Because I know people don't want to feel controlled by that word, but I would imagine that being called that by a white person would be a whole different thing? Just like how, on a much smaller scale, girls might call each other bitch, but if a guy did it, I'd be taken aback.

I'm just curious, because I'm white and I definitely consider it an off-limits word to me (not that I would see any reason to use it anyway), so the discussion is interesting.

:whistle:

Would you care if a white person called you that? Because I know people don't want to feel controlled by that word, but I would imagine that being called that by a white person would be a whole different thing? Just like how, on a much smaller scale, girls might call each other bitch, but if a guy did it, I'd be taken aback.

I'm just curious, because I'm white and I definitely consider it an off-limits word to me (not that I would see any reason to use it anyway), so the discussion is interesting.

Not at all. Like....you have to really piss off a White person for them to call you a ****** (based on common scenario). The White person had to stoop as low as a racial slur in an attempt to "win". Once they do that, you've won. Nothing but win.

There are some ppl who are still controlled by the word. IDK why, it's just a word. They want a reaction, and why give it to them?

Not at all. Like....you have to really piss off a White person for them to call you a ****** (based on common scenario). The White person had to stoop as low as a racial slur in an attempt to "win". Once they do that, you've won. Nothing but win.

There are some ppl who are still controlled by the word. IDK why, it's just a word. They want a reaction, and why give it to them?

Very good point, hadn't thought about it that way.

Very good point, hadn't thought about it that way.

It's like...the person used ****** as a means to imply racial inferiority. But once you don't react to it and show them it has no effect, they lose. They didn't get what they want. You've shown them you're not inferior to them.

That's why I hate when Black folks get upset over it. If you allow the word to continue to oppress you, we can't progress as a community.

It's like...the person used ****** as a means to imply racial inferiority. But once you don't react to it and show them it has no effect, they lose. They didn't get what they want. You've shown them you're not inferior to them.

That's why I hate when Black folks get upset over it. If you allow the word to continue to oppress you, we can't progress as a community.

another lesson hard learned people WANT a reaction.

I have another question though at what point does a word become so detached from its root history it no longer means what it originally meant? I mean now Blacks use the word in an endearing way so it's like we took ownership of it, with the F word I hear guys use it all the time and they don't mean homosexual, now I will say one thing that is kinda new under the sun that DOES bother me is when I listen to songs and some rapper says "No Homo" I'm like why do you feel the need to clarify your sexuality?

Not really because that same word is used during fights.. Watch any fight on youtube and count how many times they say that word before beating the pulp out of someone..

so then we have dissent in our race, not everyone is going to deal with it the same way, I will say it's pretty clear to me a lot of "us" use the word in everyday convo and it means nothing more than endearment. This is where I start to asking all kinda questions because it's like why does it bother you? It's a word and if the person who used it meant you no harm in any way? Where's the damage?

Firstly, it's not even nessecarily about 'damage' ... it's also about maturity, and having a better self-esteem regarding who you are. I simply don't use the word to refer to myself in a derogoratory manner just like I won't call myself any other type of curse word, and I respect others if they don't want to use it. The use of the N word for the majority is mostly an African American word, Black carribeans, Africans really don't embrace it or use it more so because it's not really apart of our history and culture

<br />'Faggot' wasn't rooted on hatred...folks just use it as a slang for hatred.  It also means a bundle of twigs, a bundle of iron bars and a food.  '******' was rooted on hatred and doesn't have an alternate definition.<br />

Technically "nigga" is ******s alternate definition... Used as a term of endearment in non-white communities

Archived