What's In a Word? The "N" word The "F" word?

Bailey

Why would a doctor have to use the word "Fag"? What other meaning does "Fag" have here in the states? Yes the word has multiple meanings, but not here in the US. We don't call cigarettes "Fags" here, nor would a person be referring to twigs to light a fire. Its used as an insult. I never hear fag or faggot used as anything but an insult. Even when straight people are just playing around. The N word on the other hand has been flipped and now we as black folks call each other that, sometimes as insults, but other times for kinship. So much so that now I hear asians, latino's and other ethnic groups throwing the word around amongst themselves. Yes Gay men call each other fags, but not on the level that black folks use the N word. Only when white folks use the N word is it seen as an insult. Whenever anybody other than those in gay culture use the F word, its usually in the context of an insult. So maybe the words aren't comparable. Maybe the F word is the worse of the two.

There's a cell called 'faggot cell(s)' and doctors will call it either that or 'fag'. So here in the States, it has more than one meaning than the slur most folks use. Thanks for telling me something I've already said. How can the 'F' word be worse than the 'N-word' :mellow: Regardless if there used here or not, the 'F' word has multiple meaning (one of them is used here) while the 'N-word' still has the same "Black" meaning. And that "we as black folks flipped it around" is stupid. How can it be truly flipped around when majority of the black community gets so butt hurt when a white person uses 'nigga' whether it's while rapping along to a song or calling a friend that? That whole "it's offensive when a white person uses it" shows that it's not flipped.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a cell called 'faggot cell(s)' and doctors will call it either that or 'fag'. So here in the States, it has more than one meaning than the slur most folks use. Thanks for telling me something I've already said. How can the 'F' word be worse than the 'N-word' :mellow: Regardless if there used here or not, the 'F' word has multiple meaning (one of them is used here) while the 'N-word' still has the same "Black" meaning. And that "we as black folks flipped it around" is stupid. How can it be truly flipped around when majority of the black community gets so butt hurt when a white person uses 'nigga' whether it's while rapping along to a song or calling a friend that? That whole "it's offensive when a white person uses it" shows that it's not flipped.

well then wtf do you propose? :filenails:

comes simply from Negro meaning Black nothing else, even in Spanish same meaning BLACK

Okay and the term "faggot" simply means a bundle of sticks that was used back in day to kill witches and homosexuals.

well then wtf do you propose? :filenails:

As far as the 'N-word' (mainly just 'nigga'), blacks get over it. It's basically racist to say "Oh one race can't use it even though they're using it in the same manner we do." Not to mention as other members posted (mainly Paul) it's stupid. Whether some folks like it or not, 'faggot'/'fag' has multiple definitions and is not always used as a hate slur most try to make it out to be.

But it wasn't a slur, and it didn't have the same hateful tone. It just refered to the color black. In the early 1900s it became slur with a an evil meaning. It should also be noted that the word "******" isn't used as a slur universally. Mostly here in the states and in Europe. And faggot didn't really become a slur until around 1930. So Both words have been around as insults for about the same amount of time. At the end of the day, niether is positive and both are used to disrespect groups of people. So to me they are equally bad.

:wacko:

As far as the 'N-word' (mainly just 'nigga'), blacks get over it. It's basically racist to say "Oh one race can't use it even though they're using it in the same manner we do." Not to mention as other members posted (mainly Paul) it's stupid. Whether some folks like it or not, 'faggot'/'fag' has multiple definitions and is not always used as a hate slur most try to make it out to be.

Im still not with you, so are you saying DONT use the N word? yes or no? :filenails:

I've never heard of the Faggot cell. If that is the case so be it. But rarely is that word used in that context and you know it. It's mostly used as a slur against gays. And I agree with you, the idea that the N word has been flipped is disturbing, but none the less true. Black folks call each other that on a regular basis and often times in kinship. That's been argued right here in this thread. And when I said it had been flipped, I was referring to how people of color use the word with each other. Do i feel that one word is worse than the other? No. I've said from day one that I feel they are both equally offensive. Folks got into the semantics of the origins of the words and tried to justify the N word being worse. At the end of the day, when their both used as slurs they're both equally bad. I don't see how they are not comparable as insults.

I've never heard of the Faggot cell. If that is the case so be it. But rarely is that word used in that context and you know it. It's mostly used as a slur against gays. And I agree with you, the idea that the N word has been flipped is disturbing, but none the less true. Black folks call each other that on a regular basis and often times in kinship. That's been argued right here in this thread. And when I said it had been flipped, I was referring to how people of color use the word with each other. Do i feel that one word is worse than the other? No. I've said from day one that I feel they are both equally offensive. Folks got into the semantics of the origins of the words and tried to justify the N word being worse. At the end of the day, when their both used as slurs they're both equally bad. I don't see how they are not comparable as insults.

Because you never heard it use in that way doesn't mean anything. I never heard anyone called a 'fag', but that's because that usage of the word is dated here. I know what blacks tried to do with the 'N-word'...doesn't mean it makes sense for majority to get upset when a white person uses the same word in the same gist. As insults both are comparable...overall, they're not.

Yes. If you're going to limit who can use 'nigga', then don't use it.

The term 'nigga' is used as a defense mechanism among black people.

Question: How would feel if a white person called you a 'nigga'? :lol: What would be your reaction? I'm just curious.

The term 'nigga' is used as a defense mechanism among black people.

Question: How would feel if a white person called you a 'nigga'? :lol: What would be your reaction? I'm just curious.

Honestly I don't care. I have a white roommate who uses 'nigga' when he's talking about his friends, and it doesn't bother me at all.

Archived