What's In a Word? The "N" word The "F" word?

Bailey

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard inner-city Latinos use it

Either way.. It has an alternative meaning that derived from the original word

I've heard whites use 'nigga' when quoting along with rap songs, but that doesn't mean that entire Black community accepts it. Just like '******' is meant for someone who has a darker skin tone/non-whites, majority of Blacks act like only those with a darker skin tone/non-white can use 'nigga' (along with 'negro').

Yeah...with limits on who can use it. It's not universal.

'Faggot' wasn't rooted on hatred...folks just use it as a slang for hatred. It also means a bundle of twigs, a bundle of iron bars and a food. '******' was rooted on hatred and doesn't have an alternate definition.

Well since we're being technical, ****** wasn't rooted in hatred either. It became a racial slur in the early 1900s as a takoff on the word negro.

If anyone calls me nigga/****** black or White I'd kick their ass. It's not endearing, funny or anything.

I'm thinking that the black people who think the word is ok have never had it used against them in an oppressive or hateful way.

I've heard whites use 'nigga' when quoting along with rap songs, but that doesn't mean that entire Black community accepts it. Just like '******' is meant for someone who has a darker skin tone/non-white, majority of Blacks act like only those with a darker skin tone/non-white can use 'nigga' (along with 'negro').

It shouldn't be acceptable language for anyone. Where is the line drawn? I'm know some black people comfortable using it with each other would take offense if I used it. Some would be fine. Some are fine with White people using it. There is no consensus on acceptability, so why use it? And how can black people "own" a term that was never theirs to begin with. How interesting that it's mainly black people that call each other dog, bitch, nigga as a term of endearment. Shows me how damaged the black community as a whole actually is.

Yeah...with limits on who can use it. It's not universal.

Even though this topic has been done to death before I'll throw in my 2 pennies.

IMO a word is a word, regardless of how it's spelt. The N-er word (I refuse to type it) was first used in the Deep South by a white man as a racial slur (obviously). Just because more recently the ER gets removed and replaced with an A bears no weight whatsoever, it's still the same word. I don't accept all this stuff about it being a term of endearment. When did words like 'buddy', 'pal', 'dude' etc. go out of fashion? Why must you (those people who think the word is fine to use) refer to each other by a word that has its origins in hatred?

I think you're saying the the N word is a lot more loaded, it has a much deeper history with a lot of VERY negative things behind it, the N word represents a lot of downright evil history in America, the F word does not have the same history, nor usage. I think in Europe it means cigarette, the N word world round means one thing and always has.

A fag is a cigarette in Europe, a faggot is a type of food.

Is faggot good?

I've never had it, it doesn't really appeal to me. It's traditionally made from pig's heart, liver and fatty belly meat or bacon minced together, with herbs. I'm not a huge fan of offal :&

A fag is a cigarette in Europe, a faggot is a type of food.

well I fucks with both so :whistle: .....as for you previous comment I asked before in this thread is at what point does a word stop meaning what it originally meant? You have folks that use the N word ending in A without any sense or connotation to what it originally meant, it's like railroads at one point they were THE form of transportation they still exist but today we have other means of getting around, all I am saying is despite the origin today many people use the word in an entirely different context and maybe, just maybe, the context they chose to use the word in as "hey what's up" to me that says those people took the word and changed it, to me that means more than anything.

Well since we're being technical, ****** wasn't rooted in hatred either. It became a racial slur in the early 1900s as a takoff on the word negro.

True, but 'negro', 'negar', '******'...etc still had the "meaning black" definition no matter how much it was changed. 'Faggot' means completely different things than a hate slur.

True, but 'negro', 'negar', '******'...etc still had the "meaning black" definition no matter how much it was changed. 'Faggot' means completely different things than a hate slur.

thank you I was so ready to respond to that but not needed now :filenails:

But it wasn't a slur, and it didn't have the same hateful tone. It just refered to the color black. In the early 1900s it became slur with a an evil meaning. It should also be noted that the word "******" isn't used as a slur universally. Mostly here in the states and in Europe. And faggot didn't really become a slur until around 1930. So Both words have been around as insults for about the same amount of time. At the end of the day, niether is positive and both are used to disrespect groups of people. So to me they are equally bad.

But it wasn't a slur, and it didn't have the same hateful tone. It just refered to the color black. In the early 1900s it became slur with a an evil meaning. It should also be noted that the word "******" isn't used as a slur universally. Mostly here in the states and in Europe. And faggot didn't really become a slur until around 1930. So Both words have been around as insults for about the same amount of time. At the end of the day, niether is positive and both are used to disrespect groups of people. So to me they are equally bad.

I know that, but some languages uses it for the "black people" meaning that it was originally used for. When it's boiled down to it, the N-words (including '******') means black while 'faggot' has multiple definitions. And it's the way 'faggot' is used to determine if it's used to disrespect someone or not.

I know that, but some languages uses it for the "black people" meaning that it was originally used for. When it's boiled down to it, the N-words (including '******') means black while 'faggot' has multiple definitions. And it's the way 'faggot' is used to determine if it's used to disrespect someone or not.

That can be said about the N word. as a matter of fact its been said in this thread. And I'm talking about how long each word has been used as a slur. We know faggot has multiple meanings elswhere, but here in the states its hate speech. The N word has always meant the color black. But here in the states its Hate speech. When I say a word is rooted in hate, I mean in its current context, not its origins.

That can be said about the N word. as a matter of fact its been said in this thread. And I'm talking about how long each word has been used as a slur. We know faggot has multiple meanings elswhere, but here in the states its hate speech. The N word has always meant the color black. But here in the states its Hate speech. When I say a word is rooted in hate, I mean in its current context, not its origins.

So when a doctor uses 'fag', is it a slur? For the N-Word, it's very clear that it's viewed as "offensive" when a non-Black (mainly white folks) uses any form of the word regardless if they're angry or not. With 'faggot' ('fag') too, it's normally viewed as "offensive" only when someone uses it when they're angry. If that's the case, they're not that comparable.

What are the earliest origins of the word "******" and it's then meaning?

It's from 'neger', 'negar' and 'negro' and means "black". 'Negar' was then started to be used to describe African slaves, but was later replaced by '******' to describe the slaves or anyone as "black-skinned".

It's from 'neger', 'negar' and 'negro' and means "black". 'Negar' was then started to be used to describe African slaves, but was later replaced by '******' to describe the slaves a "black-skinned".

That's what I learned as well. Some ppl and their agendas, I tell you. :coffee:

And your arguments are very much so correct. -_-

My take on both words is negative and always has been. I'm still confused by black rappers who use the N word in every other song, and even more confused by those who say "we took ownership of it" like that's something to be proud of. It's really not. A lot of gay guys are the same, calling each other the F word and laughing. There aren't ten other words in your vocabulary to describe a friend?

Archived