What's In a Word? The "N" word The "F" word?

Bailey

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I think they're comparable because they're rooted in the same hatred. They are, and have historically been, used to degrade and ridicule an entire group of people. It doesn't matter that the people and culture are different. What matters is the intent to do emotional harm. African Americans do not have the monopoly on pain. Slurs used against other ethnic groups are just as hurtful to them as the N word is to you.

I have another question though at what point does a word become so detached from its root history it no longer means what it originally meant? I mean now Blacks use the word in an endearing way so it's like we took ownership of it, with the F word I hear guys use it all the time and they don't mean homosexual, now I will say one thing that is kinda new under the sun that DOES bother me is when I listen to songs and some rapper says "No Homo" I'm like why do you feel the need to clarify your sexuality?

They are NOT rooted in the same hatred. ****** is rooted in the perpetuation of inferiority of Blacks to their White counterparts. Faggot is rooted in ignorance and the lack of accepting socially different ppl. Faggot does not have the historical pretenses that ****** does, by no means.

I think you're saying the the N word is a lot more loaded, it has a much deeper history with a lot of VERY negative things behind it, the N word represents a lot of downright evil history in America, the F word does not have the same history, nor usage. I think in Europe it means cigarette, the N word world round means one thing and always has.

Maybe what I should say is that I can't control a persons response to the word. If you and your friends are cool calling each other those names, then I get it and that's your choice. I still have the option not to engage.

ok I see that but the issue I have found on the board is people don't want the word used at all, whether you're talking to them or not

I was asking you basically the word is fine with you depending on the context? We have other members here that do not accept the word in any context

And I'm not here for those sensitive kids. Yes, some words are used as a term of endearment - nigga and bitch. There's also terminology such as "fag-hag" that is used as a term of endearment.

I think you're saying the the N word is a lot more loaded, it has a much deeper history with a lot of VERY negative things behind it, the N word represents a lot of downright evil history in America, the F word does not have the same history, nor usage. I think in Europe it means cigarette, the N word world round means one thing and always has.

THANK YOU!

I have another question though at what point does a word become so detached from its root history it no longer means what it originally meant? I mean now Blacks use the word in an endearing way so it's like we took ownership of it, with the F word I hear guys use it all the time and they don't mean homosexual, now I will say one thing that is kinda new under the sun that DOES bother me is when I listen to songs and some rapper says "No Homo" I'm like why do you feel the need to clarify your sexuality?

See, this is where it all goes wrong. Who is WE ? Because that certainly does not refer to me. I was not raised around the word and I don't even use the word and I don't embrace it either. Don't put everyone in the same box, and just respect that some don't like it and some may not be offended by it... I don't even like it if another black person calls me that

And I'm not here for those sensitive kids. Yes, some words are used as a term of endearment - nigga and bitch. There's also terminology such as "fag-hag" that is used as a term of endearment.

so bump the other members? If they can't see where the intent is coming from then why bother?

See, this is where it all goes wrong. Who is WE ? Because that certainly does not refer to me. I was not raised around the word and I don't even use the word and I don't embrace it either. Don't put everyone in the same box, and just respect that some don't like it and some may not be offended by it... I don't even like it if another black person calls me that

so then we have dissent in our race, not everyone is going to deal with it the same way, I will say it's pretty clear to me a lot of "us" use the word in everyday convo and it means nothing more than endearment. This is where I start to asking all kinda questions because it's like why does it bother you? It's a word and if the person who used it meant you no harm in any way? Where's the damage?

so bump the other members? If they can't see where the intent is coming from then why bother?

Pretty much. I'm not here for members who let slurs control them. If you don't see how certain terms are used in context. For example:

Pie doesn't like the word "bitch".

Example 1: "Oh yeah, Pie, that's my bitch."

Bitch her is used as a term of endearment. It's another way of saying, "Pie is a close friend of mind whose company I enjoy." I don't think she'd take offense to it.

Example 2: "Oh yeah, Pie, she's a bitch."

In this example, "bitch" is used as a derogatory term, and Pie would have every right to take offense to it.

Pretty much. I'm not here for members who let slurs control them. If you don't see how certain terms are used in context. For example:

Pie doesn't like the word "bitch".

Example 1: "Oh yeah, Pie, that's my bitch."

Bitch her is used as a term of endearment. It's another way of saying, "Pie is a close friend of mind whose company I enjoy." I don't think she'd take offense to it.

Example 2: "Oh yeah, Pie, she's a bitch."

In this example, "bitch" is used as a derogatory term, and Pie would have every right to take offense to it.

ummmm number 2 happens more than number one 35k9atk.gif

I disagree here, sorry, I have learned the hard way what happens in your life is largely about how you react to it

I was referring to how he is reacting to my opinion that the N word and the F word are equally offensive. My opinion has him rattled, yet he claims he's not here for members who let slurs control them. If thats the case, my opinion about those words being equal should not bother him.

I was referring to how he is reacting to my opinion that the N word and the F word are equally offensive. My opinion has him rattles, yet he claims he's not here for members who let slurs control them. If thats the case, my opinion about those words being equal should not bother him.

I disagree again, respectfully of course -_- he is not bothered by the words he is simply debating with you the merit or lack thereof of your argument about the equality of the two words. He is saying no they are not the same, he never said either one used bothered him, I basically agree. At this point in my life I would prefer to be called that to my face and know where I stand with you, it's the ones that don't say it but think every bit of it I can't stand.

The Fa-word apparently derived from burning people at the stake for being homosexual, and of course we know about the history of the N-word (Doesn't matter if it's "-er" or "-a", it's all the same thing to me). Now I don't think less of anyone who has used it (Janet has said the n-word but I still love her all the same), but I personally don't use them. I have plenty of better alternatives to express my thoughts.

well what do I know I'm just a N and an F so Im screwed twice :umm:

It depends on the CONTEXT! :excited:

I say ******, niggra, and nigga all the time. But I never use it to demean anyone, same with faggot. They're just words. And if ppl let words control their behavior and thought process, what does that say about them as a person?

I disagree again, respectfully of course -_- he is not bothered by the words he is simply debating with you the merit or lack thereof of your argument about the equality of the two words. He is saying no they are not the same, he never said either one used bothered him, I basically agree. At this point in my life I would prefer to be called that to my face and know where I stand with you, it's the ones that don't say it but think every bit of it I can't stand.

His reaction to my opinion says otherwise. He was clearly rattled enough to bring a conversation from one thread to another. The exclamation points, the name calling and the eye rolling indicate the word bothers him.

It depends on the CONTEXT! :excited:

I say ******, niggra, and nigga all the time. But I never use it to demean anyone, same with faggot. They're just words. And if ppl let words control their behavior and thought process, what does that say about them as a person?

well sexually speaking ........ :whistle: a whole lot of that has happen on my watch :ph34r:

His reaction to my opinion says otherwise. He was clearly rattled enough to bring a conversation from one thread to another. The exclamation points, the name calling and the eye rolling indicate the word bothers him.

hold on.....if he called names we gotta a problem my "bothered" meter just upticked :whistle:

Archived