I WONDER WHY SOME PEOPLE THINK DIANA ROSS CAN'T SING

Shawn1814

There's a lot of people that say she can't sing.. :mellow:

I've never exactly heard that but I've never heard anyone speak bout her singing ability as they would with an Aretha or a Patti. Its nothing new that ppl feel if you dont have a "powerhouse" voice therefore you're not considered a "singer" or you "cant sing" altogether.Ppl usually cant judge beneath the volume of someones projected voice,which is silly on so many levels because loud doesn't equate to GREAT techinique,skills or ability. But tbh Diana have never blew me away vocally (judging off ability and technique).

Her voice is beautiful and I've always thought so. :filenails:

Just cause she aint screaming and hollering and running around stage like a porch monkey doesn't mean she can't sing. She was the premier black diva of her time, and without her most of these bitches wouldn't have a blueprint. But I agree with dayz that when people say she isn't the best vocalist they are comparing her to the divas of her day like Aretha and Gladys. But the funny thing is during her Billie Holiday era of the early 70s, very few of her peers could have done what she did with Billie's material. And vocally she has been cited by many as an influence. Deniece Williams and Minnie Ripperton both cite diana ross as an influence.

• 11 years later...

Thankfully I am able to hear! Diana Ross has a tone to her voice that is unique. If your ears have the ability to appreciate phrasing, enunciation , sweetness, tenderness…you would recognize her voice is among the best. Sadly too many associate gut wrenching, screaming, shouting, vocalists as “being able to Sing!”.

Fortunately the renowned singers aforementioned-have all been able to appreciate Diana Ross’ unique vocal abilities-and would agree that she is among the best.

So in conclusion, I would argue that those of the opinion that Diana Ross can’t sing- have missed the contributions of one of the most influential music icons of our time.

• 2 weeks later...