Jimmy Jam Talks Janet's 'When I Think of You'

Disco Diva

On day four of our 1,000 Hot No. 1s video series, kicked off Dec. 1 with Kelly Clarkson, we chat with producer Jimmy Jam about helming Janet Jackson's No. 1 hit, "When I Think of You," and how Janet's brothers helped him realize the potential of the single (video below).

When putting together Jackson's third album, "Control," Jimmy Jam foresaw the groundbreaking pop elements of songs of "Nasty" and "What Have You Done For Me Lately" while thinking of "When I Think of You" as a lesser track on the album. When he played the album for Janet's brothers, however, they all thought that "Think" was the breakout hit from the disc. "'When I Think of You' got all the way to No. 1, so they were absolutely right," says the producer. "They're the Jacksons for a reason -- they know."

video

Jimmy Jam foresaw the groundbreaking pop elements of songs of "Nasty" and "What Have You Done For Me Lately" while thinking of "When I Think of You" as a lesser track on the album.

:thumbup:

#teamJimmyJam

Am I the only one who doesn't care for this track? :umm: The only time it ever does anything for me is when I go to a Janet concert. :filenails:

It is her worst #1.

On day four of our 1,000 Hot No. 1s video series, kicked off Dec. 1 with Kelly Clarkson, we chat with producer Jimmy Jam about helming Janet Jackson's No. 1 hit, "When I Think of You," and how Janet's brothers helped him realize the potential of the single (video below).

When putting together Jackson's third album, "Control," Jimmy Jam foresaw the groundbreaking pop elements of songs of "Nasty" and "What Have You Done For Me Lately" while thinking of "When I Think of You" as a lesser track on the album. When he played the album for Janet's brothers, however, they all thought that "Think" was the breakout hit from the disc. "'When I Think of You' got all the way to No. 1, so they were absolutely right," says the producer. "They're the Jacksons for a reason -- they know."

video

2qsxcf9-vi.gif

I think its her most forgetable #1, it does make me happy to hear it, I've heard that song on the radio more than any of the songs from Control. So I can take it or leave it, I think its the ONLY big Janet song (especially Control era) if she cut from a tour I wouldnt be a lil -__- about.

*DEATH* @ Jimmy's "Jackson voice". MESS. :lol:

Am I the only one who doesn't care for this track? :umm: The only time it ever does anything for me is when I go to a Janet concert. :filenails:

Well I can't honestly see how that got to no.1 and "Nasty" or "Pleasure Principle" didn't. I think the video helped it get to no.1 and that the song was different than all the other songs on her album. I think everyone just has a different feel for it. For instance, I was in the car with one of my boys Tommy and I was about to skip "When I Think of You" and he was like "naw naw I like that song...change it back." It kinda surprised me cause this foo usually only listens to underground rap and don't even really listen to radio.